Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke)
Quote | Reply
Is everybody from the Left always so overheated when it comes to discourse on the war or other issues of importance?

Email from Warren County Community College adjunct professor John M. Daly to conservative student activist Rebecca Branch:

November 13, 2005

Dear Rebecca:

I am asking my students to boycott your event. I am also going to ask others to boycott it. Your literature and signs in the entrance lobby look like fascist propaganda and is extremely offensive. Your main poster "Communism killed 100,000,000" is not only untrue, but ignores the fact that CAPITALISM has killed many more and the evidence for that can be seen in the daily news papers. The U.S. government can fly to dominate the people of Iraq in 12 hours, yet it took them five days to assist the people devastated by huricane Katrina. Racism and profits were key to their priorities. Exxon, by the way, made $9 Billion in profits this last quarter -- their highest proft margin ever. Thanks to the students of WCCC and other poor and working class people who are recruited to fight and die for EXXON and other corporations who earning megaprofits from their imperialist plunders. If you want to count the number of deaths based on political systems, you can begin with the more than a million children who have died in Iraq from U.S.-imposed sanctions and war. Or the million African American people who died from lack of access to healthcare in the US over the last 10 years.

I will continue to expose your right-wing, anti-people politics until groups like yours won't dare show their face on a college campus. Real freedom will come when soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors and fight for just causes and for people's needs -- such freedom fighters can be counted throughout American history and they certainly will be counted again.

Prof. John Daly

T.

PS: Does ANYBODY on either side of the debate ever take the time to look up TRUE facts and figures before going off and quoting the ones that they've been given? And whatever happened to Socratic teaching methods among the teaching professionals in our colleges and universities? You'd think this fellow would've taken a less-harsh tack with this student.
Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 26, 05 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wasn't Left or Right it was just stupid.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Is everybody from the Left always so overheated when it comes to discourse on the war or other issues of importance?

[/reply]

no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Or the million African American people who died from lack of access to healthcare in the US over the last 10 years."

"Does ANYBODY on either side of the debate ever take the time to look up TRUE facts and figures before going off and quoting the ones that they've been given?"

I'd like to see the documentation to back up that assertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had heard about the turn guns on soldiers part. I hadn't seen the whole letter though. It is worse than I thought. He can't even write well.

If my high school student wrote a letter with so many grammatical errors, I would be embarrassed.
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [urbanrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is everybody from the Left always so overheated when it comes to discourse on the war or other issues of importance?

no.

Well, that's a relief! I guess it's okay for me to start watching "The West Wing" again ;-)

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey....does anybody know what courses this guy taught at that community college?

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Creative writing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Your literature and signs in the entrance lobby look like fascist propaganda and is extremely offensive."

"Thanks to the students of WCCC and other poor and working class people who are recruited to fight and die for EXXON and other corporations who earning megaprofits from their imperialist plunders."

People on ST can write better than that!! And this guy's supposed to be a professor??

Whackjob.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a part-time professor at a community college is a pretty good representative for the intellectual Left elite.
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [adamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a part-time professor at a community college is a pretty good representative for the intellectual Left elite.

I bet the professor thinks so, too.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Communism killed 100,000,000" is not only untrue, but ignores the fact that CAPITALISM has killed many more and the evidence for that can be seen in the daily news papers.

What was the event he was boycotting?

Replace "Communism" with just about any other hot-button word and it probably still applies, depending on how you spin it. It does sound like an unflattering overgeneralization. Guns, Capitolism, Religion, National Pride, Greed, etc.. all "killed 100,000,000" people as well. Or maybe it was just people doing the killing, as usual.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a part-time professor at a community college is a pretty good representative for the intellectual Left elite. (adam b)

I bet the professor thinks so, too. (vee man)

That was my point (the "Enlightened Elite" remark). But the wider view is that if this kind of emotional display towards a student by an "instructor" (do they have professors at a community college?) who may or may not have a responsibility to act in a more mature teaching manner, at the very least, has started to occur at out local 2-year institutions, might that not say something about the prevailing liberal bias in academe, as a whole?

After all, recent Pew Research surveys point up a wide disparity between the support of the war in Iraq by the American public (a majority supports it) versus a much dimmer view of that same war not only by journalists, but by college professors and instructors across the nation?

What's driving this?

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the wider view is that if this kind of emotional display towards a student by an "instructor" (do they have professors at a community college?) who may or may not have a responsibility to act in a more mature teaching manner

Maybe the campus speech codes so common among four-year colleges haven't yet filtered down to community colleges.

;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think a part-time professor at a community college is a pretty good representative for the intellectual Left elite. (adam b)

I bet the professor thinks so, too. (vee man)

That was my point (the "Enlightened Elite" remark). But the wider view is that if this kind of emotional display towards a student by an "instructor" (do they have professors at a community college?) who may or may not have a responsibility to act in a more mature teaching manner, at the very least, has started to occur at out local 2-year institutions, might that not say something about the prevailing liberal bias in academe, as a whole?

After all, recent Pew Research surveys point up a wide disparity between the support of the war in Iraq by the American public (a majority supports it) versus a much dimmer view of that same war not only by journalists, but by college professors and instructors across the nation?

What's driving this?

T.
Why do you think that the population of college professors matches the ideological distribution of the population as a whole?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Professor quits
A community college professor has resigned in the wake of an e-mail in which he vowed to intimidate students who host conservative speakers.
According to the Young America's Foundation (http://www.yaf.org), John Daly, an adjunct English professor at Warren County Community College in New Jersey, resigned Tuesday before the school's board of trustees began an emergency meeting to discuss the professor's fate.
On Nov. 13, Mr. Daly sent an e-mail to student Rebecca Beach vowing "to expose [her] right-wing, anti-people politics until groups like [Miss Beach's] won't dare show their face on a college campus." In addition, Mr. Daly wrote, "Real freedom will come when soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors."
Mr. Daly sent the e-mail after Miss Beach asked him and other faculty members to announce that a veteran of the war in Iraq would appear for a lecture at the school.
William Austin
, president of the college, said he will incorporate tolerance seminars for professors during the next faculty in-service day to shield students from this type of harassment, as requested by Miss Beach and the YAF.

http://washingtontimes.com/...124-121045-9398r.htm

Does this mean he won't show his face on a college campus again?

I was just joking about about his being a creative writing teacher, but this article points out that he actually is an English teacher. Unbelievable. Poor grammer and sentence structure like that should constitute grounds for firing.
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be grammar Art.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blame Clinton for this way of thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch. I think I got it right in my first post.
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I blame Clinton for this way of thinking.

So do I ;-)

T.
Quote Reply
Re: The Enlightened Elite on College Campuses: Professor Writes An Email To A Conservative Activist Student (No Joke) [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"he will incorporate tolerance seminars for professors during the next faculty in-service day to shield students from this type of harassment"

Ha ha ha ha ha!

If this prof was tenured, would people be making excuses for him?

---

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hardly think the left has a lock on rhetoric and hyperbole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
98.0352% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Quote Reply