Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long distance wetsuit ?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a new wetsuit since I have longer distances planned this season and my current one is a size too large and entry-level (Orca TRN from wiggle).

This is my third tri season, i'll be swimming a 3000m triathlon swim leg next month and a 7500m ocean swim this summer so I'm looking for something that I can use for 2+ hours without suffering.
I can comfortably swim 6k in the pool at an average pace of 1:50/100m so not a total noob but not a great swimmer either.

Should I lean toward a more flexible wetsuit which is targeted toward better swimmers or would I be better off with more buoyancy / less flex ?
I'm OK with losing a few seconds if that means a significant improvement in confort.
In the Orca range, that would be either the Equip (more flex) versus Sonar (all-round) or S6 (more buoyancy) but open to any other brand.
Budget is around 300€.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: long distance wetsuit ? [Atlas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are now some higher end suits that cater towards slower swimmers that combine flexible arms and bouyant legs. So best of both worlds. Might be a touch too expensive but the Huub Aerious II 3:5 is an example. I'm sure there are others.
Quote Reply
Re: long distance wetsuit ? [chilled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I checked out on their website but can't really find much info besides that it's made "ultra-flexible neoprene".
It's a real pain to compare between brands...

And yes, a bit expensive...
So... if I push the budget a little, I also found a sweat deal for the orca alpha at 480€ (retail is 650€), a tad cheaper than the huub aerious (520€).
It looks like one of the most flexible wetsuits out there with the 0.88mm in the arms.
Any feedback on that one ? Would I really notice the lack of buoyancy compared to a more mainstream suit ? (still has 5mm panels locally)

Also, the Roka look nice but the extra shipping + customs costs are really expensive...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I have the aerious II 3:5, did my first race in it on Saturday and had my best ever swim. Some of which was the suit. I got a reasonable deal on the aerious so it was about £350.

I had an orca S5 previously. I'm not noticing a lack of buoyancy and it's much more flexible. It also doesn't chafe my neck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, fit is far and away the most important factor, especially for longer swims. Too bad you're not in a place like the US where you can swim in one or multiple suits from some companies, like Roka, and return without penalty
Quote Reply
Re: long distance wetsuit ? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, would be great to try before but unfortunately can only return unused...
The good thing is that I'm coming from an oversized cheap-ass suit so probably will be happy either way :)
Now I'm looking at a blueseventy reaction 2017 model. Seems like a great wetsuit for 260€, 1.5mm arms, and plenty buoyancy in the legs as well.
Seems like a solid option for the price... Any reason I should avoid this one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your height / weight, might be able to help you out.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: long distance wetsuit ? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, would appreciate your help, I'm 187cm / 85kg (about 6'1" / 187lb)
When I bought the orca TRN I was heavier and took a size 9 which is way too much now.... (size 8 would've been a much better fit)
Seems like a blueseventy MLarge would be a good fit, not sure if sizing chart is acurate though... (MLong is not far off either)
Is it best to favor size or weight when in doubt ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Medium & a Small Tall, if you plan on losing weight, the Medium *might* work for you, as 187 is on the "max" of the sizing chart, as well as 6'1". I am 6'1"/165lbs and wear the Medium, sized up from the Small Tall.

If you are interested in the Medium just drop me a DM.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been fond of the Xterra wetsuit I own, but not sure on availability with not being in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: long distance wetsuit ? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
I have a Medium & a Small Tall, if you plan on losing weight, the Medium *might* work for you, as 187 is on the "max" of the sizing chart, as well as 6'1". I am 6'1"/165lbs and wear the Medium, sized up from the Small Tall.

If you are interested in the Medium just drop me a DM.

Hey thanks, but tbh I still have to shed off a few kg to be at my 85kg usual race weight :)
I have been anywhere between 80 and 90 the last few years...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find the Roka fit charts to be very accurate and the Roka customer service people are good at helping you interpret them. Having said that, each company is going to have their own fit model, so it may be that another company happens to fit you a little better. I demoed a lot of different suits and the Rokas were my strong favorites, but that's a personal decision and one thing you'll find is that people tend to advocate for what they own, both because it works for them but also because subconsciously they want to validate their own buying decisions. My two cents, anyway.
Quote Reply