Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running With Calcaneal Bone Cyst
Quote | Reply
So I went to the doctor today to get a tweaked ankle checked out and found out from x-rays that I have a bone cyst in my heel. The doc said "no worries, unless you're a marathon runner you won't ever know that it exists..." Unfortunately I am a marathon runner.

He basically said there isnt much I can do about it, my heel bone will be weakened near the cyst and there is a chance that one day it will rupture. I have no plans to stop running. Ever. One of my goals for the year is to BQ in December. Has anyone else had a similar diagnoses? Any experts out there with more useful advice other than "hope it doesn't rupture?" Should I go to a more cushioned running shoe?
Quote Reply
Re: Running With Calcaneal Bone Cyst [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see no one responded, so since I was recently diagnosed with the same thing, I'm wondering how its been going the past two years. Mine is causing pain and preventing me from running, so its possible I may have surgery. MRI is being scheduled to get a better look.
Quote Reply
Re: Running With Calcaneal Bone Cyst [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since this post I have completed six 70.3s, 2 marathons (1 Boston qualifier and then Boston), and I’m currently 7 weeks away from my first full. I pretty much just buried my head in the sand and crossed my fingers that nothing bad would happen (the doc had told me there was a chance it could rupture or it could be totally fine). I’ve had some dull aching sometimes after really hard runs but it hasn’t effected my training at all. I consider myself lucky so far...hopefully that remains the case
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear! Hopefully mine won't slow me down to much. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For others - unicameral/solitary bone cysts in the calcaneus rarely are an issue. They are not typical expansile and rarely cause lateral wall stress fractures (though this is reported in the literature) - I just don't see them (after 20+ years of seeing thousands or runners).

If it is growing/expanding, it will likely become symptomatic whether you run or not.