Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Boats of Cuba [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Tito is very much respected among most of the generations you mentioned. He led and won the uprising against Germans with no outside help, built up a respected and strong country that was very liberal although Communist dictatorship, we could travel as we pleased and had a relatively high standard of living for a communist country. As Yugoslavia was, with all its advantages and disadvantages, I miss her.
Quote Reply
Re: The Boats of Cuba [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got back from Cuba today. It was a very interesting trip. I was surprised by how vocal most of the people I met were in their criticism of their government. I didn't push too much but most people I talked to about such things down there bitched about their government problems the same way rabid liberals or pubs do about trump/hillary etc here, but were seemingly careful not to denounce Castro by name. For example, we stayed at an airbnb place, and while there, a leak occurred in the ceiling. I called the host who was having a hard time tracking down the guy who lived upstairs and I was joking about how maybe I could help as I work in construction. She said something like "you would find it very frustrating doing that job here. because of our political climate, it is nearly impossible to find the materials you would need or the tools to do your job". That being said, they were very proud of what they did have, their health care, education, strong culture etc. Almost everyone I met spoke at least 2 languages and played a musical instrument.

Would all of them leave if given the chance? I don't know. I got the sense that most people I spoke with would rather things just change there. When that's all you know, things would have to be pretty dire to make you leave your family, culture, friends, etc for a complete unknown.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: The Boats of Cuba [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I just got back from Cuba today. It was a very interesting trip. I was surprised by how vocal most of the people I met were in their criticism of their government. I didn't push too much but most people I talked to about such things down there bitched about their government problems the same way rabid liberals or pubs do about trump/hillary etc here, but were seemingly careful not to denounce Castro by name. For example, we stayed at an airbnb place, and while there, a leak occurred in the ceiling. I called the host who was having a hard time tracking down the guy who lived upstairs and I was joking about how maybe I could help as I work in construction. She said something like "you would find it very frustrating doing that job here. because of our political climate, it is nearly impossible to find the materials you would need or the tools to do your job". That being said, they were very proud of what they did have, their health care, education, strong culture etc. Almost everyone I met spoke at least 2 languages and played a musical instrument.

Would all of them leave if given the chance? I don't know. I got the sense that most people I spoke with would rather things just change there. When that's all you know, things would have to be pretty dire to make you leave your family, culture, friends, etc for a complete unknown.

Yes, this. Had there not been the war in Yugoslavia, I would have no reason to leave. Communism was in decline, as it may be in Cuba, it is a slow process mind you, old guard clings to power but the new one has no reason to be revolutionary any more, they more or less see how the outside world lives.
But I was bloody desperate to get the hell out of there, it was dire indeed. So I bugged out and left what you described for a complete unknown. Hope you enjoyed your vacation...
Quote Reply

Prev Next