Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So tell me again how bad the economy is in Cuba...... [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
I have been to Cuba many times and certainly see its many positives. However, it is difficult to outright argue in its defence given its human rights history.

There are a lot of countries that are worse and it is hypocritical to single out Cuba, but that doesn't mean one should accept, or ignore, its lack of freedoms.

This wasn't about the human rights in Cuba. We all know that its a dictatorship so there is no need to even bring it up. I'm just pointing out the economic situation in Puerto Rico, a country under the USA wing compared to another country that has had an embargo against it.

Puerto Rico is not a country but a territory of the US.

And its going bankrupt, which was my point.
Quote Reply
Re: So tell me again how bad the economy is in Cuba...... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
I have been to Cuba many times and certainly see its many positives. However, it is difficult to outright argue in its defence given its human rights history.

There are a lot of countries that are worse and it is hypocritical to single out Cuba, but that doesn't mean one should accept, or ignore, its lack of freedoms.

This wasn't about the human rights in Cuba. We all know that its a dictatorship so there is no need to even bring it up. I'm just pointing out the economic situation in Puerto Rico, a country under the USA wing compared to another country that has had an embargo against it.

So ignoring the subsidies and bailouts for Cuba are we comrade?
Quote Reply
Re: So tell me again how bad the economy is in Cuba...... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.economist.com/node/11792274

Doubt Puerto Ricans will have to resort to eating cats or raid the zoo for protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
orphious wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again... I thought Canada was a territory of Puerto Rico?

And once again you prove how very little you know.

I know enough to realize how stupid you look day after day, post after post..
Quote Reply
Re: So tell me again how bad the economy is in Cuba...... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
North Koreans are happy. I haven't been to Cuba, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are happy.
I'm not sure a good measure of a system and gov't's humanitarian crimes is a people's ability to have humor and peace of mind beyond it.

I've read quite a lot of books on North Korea, many of them actual stories of the people. I wouldn't call them happy. Far from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

That island has been bankrupt for years.

Quote | Reply
I love a good Cuba thread.

Re: So tell me again how bad the economy is in Cuba...... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer some good Cuba Cheese:

http://www.cubacheese.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1 experience with Cuba - my wife and I got married in Cuba 12 years ago. One of the guys in our wedding party had a co-worker who was from the area of our resort. We ended up connecting with her cousin who was in his early 20s and gave us a tour of the local city. He was pretty matter of fact about the way of life in Cuba, particularly the government and their treatment of "subversives". He did say that from time to time people in his neighbourhood that were known to speak out against the government would simply disappear. He did also praise the good things about the country - free education and university, free healthcare, free milk for kids.
He was personally pissed off at the government as they wouldn't give him permission to leave and visit his cousin in Canada as they thought he wouldn't come back. When we asked him whether he would actually return, he said "probably not".
Quote Reply
Re: So tell me again how bad the economy is in Cuba...... [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
Healthcare is so good in Cuba that when Fidel Castro got cancer, he called in a doctor ..... from Spain.

So what. You can have a fantastic overall system but not have the best indivdual. Do superbowl champions have the best player at every position?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: So tell me again how bad the economy is in Cuba...... [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:
My n=1 experience with Cuba - my wife and I got married in Cuba 12 years ago. One of the guys in our wedding party had a co-worker who was from the area of our resort. We ended up connecting with her cousin who was in his early 20s and gave us a tour of the local city. He was pretty matter of fact about the way of life in Cuba, particularly the government and their treatment of "subversives". He did say that from time to time people in his neighbourhood that were known to speak out against the government would simply disappear. He did also praise the good things about the country - free education and university, free healthcare, free milk for kids.
He was personally pissed off at the government as they wouldn't give him permission to leave and visit his cousin in Canada as they thought he wouldn't come back. When we asked him whether he would actually return, he said "probably not".

I've heard all that, but Cubans I've known have been quite critical of their government in my many conversations over the past 20 yrs, albeit they're certainly advised not to protest on the streets. The general jist has always been that Castro and the revolution was a good thing for the island, but its time to modernize and change with the times. People want a more open country but will never give up their education or healthcare systems or allow American interests again to control the political/financial systems. They only have to look at Puerto Rico and see how well that is working out for them. The Cuban ideal for the future to the average citizen would be a social democracy along the lines of the Scandinavian model. I suspect sometime in the future that is the path they will eventually try to follow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next