Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "I hope you can see your way clear..." [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
do you think people accused of crimes do not deserve to be defended in court?

yes i do. while i can't prove it i suspect dershowitz runs like a mosquito to a light those who'll grant him the biggest headline and the most TV time. to wit, he's not a constitutional scholar, but today he's playing one on TV.

Duffy wrote:
Including that Trump ballwasher, Alan Dershowitz.

wait a minute. you are calling somebody else a trump ballwasher?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Duffy: May 20, 17 10:35
Quote | Reply
I am not waiting. I just said if he is caught for something it wont be twitter, or firing comey i think it will be something else if at all
Quote Reply
Re: "I hope you can see your way clear..." [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
OK - so not "criminal", but what about, incompetent, offensive, inappropriate, and irresponsible. When do we reach a level of too much of all of that?

I reached that level when the field was narrowed to the two final candidates, and honestly probably the 4 final if you count Cruz and sanders.

Are you proposing we remove an elected official(s) based on those criteria. Because, speaking for my state only there are at least two other elected officials in Washington that meet that criteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Get help. Get counciling.

you mean i should commence going to city council meetings? or run for city council?

Duffy wrote:
Get a brain scan to check for tumors.

you paying? i'm in!

Duffy wrote:
Something is seriously wrong with you.

you just figuring that out? my wife's known that for some years now.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no problem considering Dershowitz wrong headed in general for quite some time now. I don't base that on any one position and then swing it when it doesn't fit my narrative. And I certainly wouldn't have his one and only position that goes against mine be the reason to do a 180.

Specific to this position I don't yet know if he is right or wrong headed. Because the facts have yet to play out

I recognize this position probably adds to my defense of trump. I'm sure you can relate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
I have no problem considering Dershowitz wrong headed in general for quite some time now. I don't base that on any one position and then swing it when it doesn't fit my narrative. And I certainly wouldn't have his one and only position that goes against mine be the reason to do a 180.

Specific to this position I don't yet know if he is right or wrong headed. Because the facts have yet to play out

I recognize this position probably adds to my defense of trump. I'm sure you can relate

I've always thought him to be worthy of respect whether I agree with him or not.

Here he is now being compared to a misquito to a light. Any opinion that will grant him the biggest headline or the most tv time. By the same guy who earlier this year sited Charlie Sykes, milwaukees own and a conservative talker for 20plus years who has now taken a cnn job after "deciding" the right has gone too far, as someone to be admired. I just find the double standard a little nauseating
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not responding to any one in particular.
Like many voters last year I was sickened by the whole campaign. I wasn't going to vote. Just before election day I saw Donald Trump look out from the TV and say that this was never going to happen again-an outsider, business person would never get the chance to win the election.
And I voted for him! I own a couple of small businesses and run a medical office. If there's 2 areas that need fixin' these are them.
I watched as the NYSE et al surged, business started thinking,"Yeh, maybe things can change". I really think that we can get 3% growth, change tax codes, get going again. But it seems that there are so many haters, Trump dysfunction, MSM they are
destroying any opportunity.
I think growth is good for everyone-for jobs, national debt, infrastructure, creativity but these haters just seem to want to shred, destroy, any possibility of getting us out from under. So sad.
As an add on-I feel all this under cutting robs this country of it's unity in facing world crisis-never a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: "I hope you can see your way clear..." [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you seriously think that Trump-haters and the main stream media are the reasons there is dysfunction in Washington (have you been asleep since 2000?)?
The Republicans, even without all the noise around Trump's missteps, have the majority in both houses of Congress as well as the presidency, and are failing to get anywhere on healthcare or tax reform. If you want to look for scapegoats, go ahead, but you're being naive if you're blaming Trump haters and the media.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Did you watch the video I posted?

Care to comment?

I have a few points.

I don't understand why they're pretending to not know what potential crime is being investigated. It's collusion with a foreign governments. Which would likely involve a number of Federal charges. For example Flynn being paid by Turkey to act as an agent of the Turkish government as a private citizen, then lying about it on his Federal "job application" with the U.S. Government. (it's a Federal crime to lie about payments from foreign governments when you're applying for a national security position....like National Security Advisor).

It's entirely possible that the collusion didn't happen, and there's no evidence. Though neither we nor Dershowitz know the totality of the evidence collected by the FBI. As leaky as the investigation has been. Or it's possible that only minor people were involved, and not Trump himself.

But there was an investigation started. And since that investigation was started the head of the Justice Dept was replaced by a Trump "surrogate" and the head of the FBI was fired and will likely be replaced by someone who the administration prefers. That makes it impossible to make the completion of the already-started investigation "not political." It looks bad. So I think it makes sense for the Trump administration to actually prefer that a special prosecutor be used. Now they can do what they want with the Justice Dept and FBI. It takes the pressure off them. And they may prefer a criminal investigation as well. Since there's a high bar to charge for a crime (and a President can't be criminally indicted while in office from what I've heard).

And even if there was no crime at all, per Flecks comment, if the Trump adminstration acted in a way most would consider "poorly", but not rising to the level of a prosecutable crime, I think it's reasonable for "the public" to know so in the next Presidential election we can make informed decisions.

And we all know the real risk is lying to the prosecutors. You can't impeach for a blowjob. But you can impeach for lying about a blowjob.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's like the dems critique of the pubs healthcare plan. They say (they really say this) that the republicans want people to die. There's plenty about the plan to criticize (I don't like it all) but when you say it's designed specifically to kill people I'm just not going to listen to you.

Duffy, you may think that this is reasonable, but you are sidestepping, and twisting statements to actually avoid honest debate on policy. If I say that people are likely to needlessly die under the GOP plan, are you saying that is false? There are lots of studies that would support that. You seem to have desperately searched out the most outrageous formulation of that criticism ("it's designed specifically to kill people") so as to rail against an opponent. You aren't actually addressing policy at all, you are attacking a strawman as a way of avoiding that debate.

Back to policy, I think that many of Trump's policies (immigration, healthcare, deficit) are truly appalling. A whole large set of other "policies" are poorly thought out campaign slogans that barely qualify as policy. The fact that this leads lots of folks to inarticulate silliness doesn't legitimize any of these policies at all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next