Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

when do you bump up your ftp?
Quote | Reply
just wondering when you decide to bump up your ftp. strictly based off an ftp test or just bump it up when you start sessions feeling to easy. Since last november my coach has had me do 2 ftp tests. But she has bumped up my ftp by 5-10 watts at other points, I believe mainly by seeing how well I'm hitting my cycling workout numbers, I'm guessing looking at my HR rate during sessions, and discussing with me about how I'm feeling. I do have a computrainer class with her once a week as well so she can see how I'm doing during workouts. I'm not concerned with her methods. Everything she's doing is working. I'm just curious what other Slowtwitchers do.
Quote Reply
Re: when do you bump up your ftp? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only ever change based on an FTP test. I usually do it every 8-10 weeks. If I feel like I have improved by a lot I will do one.

Bumping it by 5-10w isn't going to make much difference though but I would always do from a test
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my method is similar to what your coach is doing...

Every Monday (or Tuesday) I do a set of FTP intervals (2x20, 3x15, 3x20, etc) at something very close to FTP, 0.95+ IF. I basically do them, almost as hard as I can...trying to hold something in reserve for the last rep, and let her rip for the last one. I track my average (and normalized) power, HR, and EF for the "ON" intervals of every workout, along with bCTL, and bTSB. I graph these over time. In addition I graph NP and EF against bCTL, separately. I watch the trend over time and over bCTL, and adjust my FTP, as warranted. Typically, my "set" FTP lags my weekly interval power by 2-3 weeks, but I've averaged an increase of 3.8 watts per week over the last 8 weeks (as bCTL has increased from 30 to 50).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Training Peaks says to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: when do you bump up your ftp? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

if that's your strategy, when do you lower it?
Quote Reply
Re: when do you bump up your ftp? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I think my method is similar to what your coach is doing...

Every Monday (or Tuesday) I do a set of FTP intervals (2x20, 3x15, 3x20, etc) at something very close to FTP, 0.95+ IF. I basically do them, almost as hard as I can...trying to hold something in reserve for the last rep, and let her rip for the last one. I track my average (and normalized) power, HR, and EF for the "ON" intervals of every workout, along with bCTL, and bTSB. I graph these over time. In addition I graph NP and EF against bCTL, separately. I watch the trend over time and over bCTL, and adjust my FTP, as warranted. Typically, my "set" FTP lags my weekly interval power by 2-3 weeks, but I've averaged an increase of 3.8 watts per week over the last 8 weeks (as bCTL has increased from 30 to 50).

yeah. She's had me do the typical 20 minute ftp test but she's had me do other 2x20, 2x30 ftp intervals along with a weekly computrainer session using some perfpro workouts she designs. then some longer endurance rides. All my data is in trainingpeaks so I'm sure she's looking at a variety of factors. I'm happy with the results but it's just interesting to see how people work.
Quote Reply
Re: when do you bump up your ftp? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
jaretj wrote:

NEVER!!!

last year I followed a trainerroad plan but burned myself out and hit a wall. I had to lower my ftp because I started being unable to complete workouts for like a week straight. I believe I wasn't going easy enough on easy days and I don't think I was eating near enough and just got worn down. This year being the first year I have a coach it's nice because I get pretty specific instructions on run pacing and watts and even more so on easy days I get a very firm "DO NOT" go over x pace or x watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
just wondering when you decide to bump up your ftp. strictly based off an ftp test or just bump it up when you start sessions feeling to easy. Since last november my coach has had me do 2 ftp tests. But she has bumped up my ftp by 5-10 watts at other points, I believe mainly by seeing how well I'm hitting my cycling workout numbers, I'm guessing looking at my HR rate during sessions, and discussing with me about how I'm feeling. I do have a computrainer class with her once a week as well so she can see how I'm doing during workouts. I'm not concerned with her methods. Everything she's doing is working. I'm just curious what other Slowtwitchers do.

I'd guess most bump it when they log onto S-T or when discussing it away from a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: when do you bump up your ftp? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After you do an ftp test.
Quote Reply
Re: when do you bump up your ftp? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Perhaps I should have read "bump" as up or down.

Honestly, this is my first season using Training Peaks and only cuz USAT gives a discount on it. Before that I used WKO 2.2 and 3.0. In the past I would base my FTP on what I was capable of doing during my long intervals. Last year was the first time I ended the year lower than I started and I adjusted it (in August) cuz I could not hold the same power as I did in May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't, my coach does
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing 2x20's at sweet spot for many years.

It's like I know what they should feel like and where my heart rate should be (with variances expected now and then)

When they start becoming easier than they should be, I bump up ftp.

It's been pretty reliable for me when it does come time to do a test.
Quote Reply
Re: when do you bump up your ftp? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2

Maybe I'm not an uberstud on the bike, but I cannot do 2x30mins @ ftp during a big block of training. I'm too fatigued.
I find I am a better athlete when doing shorter v02 30 sec/1 min/2/3/4/5 min repeats anyway (I do mostly sprints so horses for courses)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I change it based on FTP tests. In between tests I will nudge it up a few watts every couple of weeks if training is going well and the workouts feel a little too easy.

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Quote Reply
Re: when do you bump up your ftp? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
racehd wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Perhaps I should have read "bump" as up or down.

Honestly, this is my first season using Training Peaks and only cuz USAT gives a discount on it. Before that I used WKO 2.2 and 3.0. In the past I would base my FTP on what I was capable of doing during my long intervals. Last year was the first time I ended the year lower than I started and I adjusted it (in August) cuz I could not hold the same power as I did in May.

Ah, well it may have changed, but when I used TP 1-2 years ago they didn't have anything built in to notify you that your FTP decreased. They can analyze files/data to determine when your LTHR or FTP increase, but they can't determine when it decreases. Suppose your FTP is 300 but you do a ride at 280 watts, they don't know if that's because you're not trying, or that the 280 watts is truly the best you can do. So it's nice getting those e-mails that you've reached a new LTHR or FTP but take it for a grain of salt because you'll still need to know how to determine when/if they lower. Sounds like you'll know when you'll be prepared for that possibility though.
Quote Reply