Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance?
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm in the market for a new tri suit leading up to my first full distance race (Ironman UK) in the summer and desperately need some advice! I've tried the Castelli Free San Remo short-sleeved suit as it's one of the few decent suits readily available in the UK and I love the design/pockets etc. but annoyingly I seem to be in between sizes with the Medium-sized suit fitting well in the bottom half, but the top half not exactly being a snug fit and loads of crinkles appearing around the shoulders in a riding position. I can fit into a Small, but this feels somewhat restrictive, especially around the legs.

I know everyone says go for as small of a suit as you can physically fit into and do the zip up, but isn't this going to lead to restricted blood flow/breathing and/or cramps on the day? I imagine a really tight-fitting suit would feel great on the bike, but less so on the swim and run! Does anyone have any experiences or advice to help me figure out what to do?!
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like one of those reasons why some people have to go with a 2 piece. Having to order a different size for the tops and bottoms.
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may not solve all your issues, but What about wearing it down for swim, rolling it up for bike and quick change into something else for the run?? Should cost very little time and make you more comfy throughout the day.
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies, but I'm still not really sure what to do!

I definitely don't want to go down the two-piece route, I can't stand that when I'm cycling.

My heart says to go with the Small option, but I'm worried that a tight-fit is going to cause all sorts issues over a long period. Sure, I could roll down the top for the swim and the run but it seems like that kinda defeats the point of a one-piece suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim with my suit down but run and bike with it just fine. You can always unzip it during the run but you shouldn't have issues with breathing or cramps just because a suit is tight. If it is that tight I would think it would be near impossible top put it on!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find these materials to be relatively stretchy and i have no problems sizing down. But if comfort is king for you get the best fitting suit. You have to believe in your equipment choices race day no matter what and thats most important thing. If you think size small is going to restrict your breathing then it will and you will worry about it all day, so size up..... or get the small go race it in sprint race or something see how it feels?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at HUUB long course suit ?
https://www.huubusa.com/collections/tri-suits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear different sizes tops and bottoms, I found Pearl Tops (pro little smaller, but elite was good) are long enough that I have no issues in biking with them, and I'm long in the torso too. They tend to keep me covered up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:

I definitely don't want to go down the two-piece route, I can't stand that when I'm cycling.

My heart says to go with the Small option, but I'm worried that a tight-fit is going to cause all sorts issues over a long period. Sure, I could roll down the top for the swim and the run but it seems like that kinda defeats the point of a one-piece suit.

I have done several IM races in a PI Octane, size small, that is extremely snug fitting. I have never really even noticed it for racing.

FWIW, I put it all of the way on before going in to the water, wear it zipped all of the way from the start gun until I hit T2, unzip the top for most of the run and then zip it back up before the finish line photos.

I would never put the suit on and just hang out, it is too tight to be comfortable while sitting around but when I'm racing I guess that I'm always distracted by other areas of discomfort. It always feels really good to take the suit off when I am done but I have never had any chafing issues with it.

After the last IM that I wore the PI, I needed help to get it off. I don't think that I could really put the top on while wet. Too tight for that. If I had to stop to go to the bathroom I would be in real trouble. Fortunately I have my nutrition dialed in and haven't had that issue since my first IM.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing worse than a trisuit that's too tight. It just becomes hell on the marathon. Now, keep in mind, even elastic fabrics stretch and "break in" (it will fit looser after a couple wears, especially if you wash it). But it needs to be pretty close. And certain fabrics stretch more than others.

But really, if it doesn't fit, it's just not worth it to take the risk. There are a lot of good options, so don't go with something that doesn't fit.

In terms of brands in Europe, I'd list Kiwami (my sponsor, France), Cuore (Swiss), Endura (UK), and Jan Frodeno's new kit sponsor Ryzon (Germany) on the list.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:

You might want to check the rulebook on the run part......unless I'm misunderstanding.
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
awenborn wrote:

You might want to check the rulebook on the run part......unless I'm misunderstanding.

It's possible that the OP is a female. If so, she could wear a sportsbra (technically a man could do this as well), and then it *is* permissible to roll the top down.

The rule is primarily designed to prevent "the raelert":

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how Ironman is enforcing it this year, but according to the ITU rules, two piece kit must overlap, and cannot be unzipped below the sternum. Sportsbra alone would be considered a bare torso and could result in a DQ.

Flipped down for the swim is no problem, and if it's a short sleeved suit, it could be mandatory if it's a non wetsuit swim...
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [Cmatthews7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cmatthews7 wrote:
I wear different sizes tops and bottoms, I found Pearl Tops (pro little smaller, but elite was good) are long enough that I have no issues in biking with them, and I'm long in the torso too. They tend to keep me covered up.
Likewise, I've tried Castelli tops but they're ridiculously short. I raced in a Pearl Izumi top for my last two races and it's much longer with decent pockets. No problems. I use Castelli Free Tri shorts.
I've also used an Orca 226 top. It was shorter than the Pearl Izumi top but much better than the Castelli. I didn'd have any problems with it on the bike but it seemed to ride up slightly on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is how Raelert is wearing that kit against the rules?
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Not sure how Ironman is enforcing it this year, but according to the ITU rules, two piece kit must overlap, and cannot be unzipped below the sternum. Sportsbra alone would be considered a bare torso and could result in a DQ.

Flipped down for the swim is no problem, and if it's a short sleeved suit, it could be mandatory if it's a non wetsuit swim...

Sleeves are perfectly fine for IM racing now and have been since last season.

They added a new part to the bare torso ruling for this year. I'd like to think I had something to do with that but I doubt I was the only one that lodged an official complaint.

The rule as it is now:
(d) Running with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport-top at all times during the run segment of the Race; (1:00 Minute Time Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

(e) Uniforms with a front zip must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum); (DSQ if not remedied promptly)

Last year's rule read:
(d) Running with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sportā€top at all times during the run segment of the Race; (Stopā€andā€Go Time Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

So subsection (e) was added. I received the stop & go penalty for having the front panel of my Kiwami Spider LD trisuit. Technically, I didn't have a bare torso and I was wearing a top. I just had it zipped all the way down. The rules official said the rule of thumb was "no nipples exposed." I told him that was great and all but that's not the actual rule, and that his interpretation of the rule as written was wrong. I wasn't about to have a 10 minute long debate with him in the middle of the race but it irked me enough that I wrote Ironman an email later pointing out why they were wrong in this interpretation. They of course didn't agree they were wrong, but they did say the rule needed further clarification and would probably be changed some for next year. So they amended it for this year.

#nipplegate2016

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are sleeves Ok for a non-wetsuit swim? with the ITU they aren't (they are legal for middle/long distance races, but not for the swim if it's non wetsuit). That wording basically mirrors the ITU wording on the front zip issue. Essentially a stop and go to fix, DSQ if you refuse to do so, or subsequently get caught with it unzipped too far.

I once had an athlete racing with a bare torso, pull his race belt over his nipples and claim that his torso was covered... he still got DQ'd...
Quote Reply
Re: How Tight Should a Tri Suit fit for Ironman Distance? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Are sleeves Ok for a non-wetsuit swim? with the ITU they aren't (they are legal for middle/long distance races, but not for the swim if it's non wetsuit). That wording basically mirrors the ITU wording on the front zip issue. Essentially a stop and go to fix, DSQ if you refuse to do so, or subsequently get caught with it unzipped too far.

I once had an athlete racing with a bare torso, pull his race belt over his nipples and claim that his torso was covered... he still got DQ'd...

Sleeves have been legal in Ironman/WTC races for two seasons now. All the races I did last year were non-wetsuit and I wore a sleeved suit in each.

Article IV. SWIM CONDUCT
Section 4.01 GENERAL
(f) When the use of wetsuits is prohibited (see Section 4.03), clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing covering any of the leg below the knee is deemed illegal and is not permitted during the swim segment of the Race but may be worn after completion of the swim segment; (DSQ)

USAT has never had a rule, either for or against, so by default sleeves are legal for USAT races.
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 19, 17 7:24
Quote Reply