Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
This has been more or less true for a long time, the best LD athletes are all ex-ITU athletes already Frodo, Ryf, etc. going back to the days of Simon Lessing, Michellie Jones, and even Mark Allen...

The best LD would be Chrissie. Not sure she was ITU
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Trauma wrote:
This has been more or less true for a long time, the best LD athletes are all ex-ITU athletes already Frodo, Ryf, etc. going back to the days of Simon Lessing, Michellie Jones, and even Mark Allen...

The best LD would be Chrissie. Not sure she was ITU

Or Natasha Badmann, but she could not beat Brigitte McMahon and Magali Messmer, medal "winning" (I use winning very loosely because we know how Brigitte got it done) Swiss athletes for a place on the Sydney team. Natasha would beat both of them by an hour in an IM. Different horses for courses. Not better, not worse, just different.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [mark.cotgrove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a look at what Lucy Charles is doing. Came straight from elite swimming to age group champion (Long Course) to IM and just destroyed the field at Lanzarote.. She is only 24. Watch out for this girl.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
Completely agree with your post about Mark Allen. Every year in both kona and itu, the champion is "the best ever in history". But at least in any non-drafting Olympic thru IM, a 29-year old Allen could win anything over anyone today. I like Dave Scott a lot but I don't think he's quite at the same level as Allen was. I would guess that if draft legal racing was available when he was in his prime, he would still put up a good fight. The guy was just that good. Possibly the runner up is Craig Alexander. Not just Kona, but talking all distances. Then I may say either Gomez or Frodeno (or Allistar).

I'm a little unfamiliar with all the runners you guys are talking about, but sportscasters are even talking these days that Michael Jordan (in his prime) would not even make the all-star team of today. Not sure if it's apples to apples, but just saying people think that whoever has the hot hand now is the "greatest in history".

I think you forgot about Macca.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

I think we're seeing a generation we won't see again for a long time. These people you're talking about, who were top of the pile at ITU and then performed at the long course, they're different to the vast majority of ITU studs now.

Granted athletes like the Brownlees will jump between distances successfully, because its not about entitlement & instagram to them, its passion. But this new generation, they'll do it when they can't get Barrie to interview them anymore, then realise a 4 hr race is a long time....and thats the end of it.

Frodo, Daniella, Nicola, make the most of them because they're a dying breed.

Shit I'm sceptical.

You forgot about Michellie Jones. Nicola: if you're including her, then you also need to include Simon Lessing
Last edited by: aerobike: May 21, 17 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [mark.cotgrove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt. Is like the difference between Boxing and Wrestling. All is a spectator sport. But... the first one is really tough. I like long distance...but...it's for amateurs or old guys like me.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg Welch too.
Add Kiwi Bevan Docherty into the contemporary mix. Olympic medalist. IRONMAN NZ winner.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

I think we're seeing a generation we won't see again for a long time. These people you're talking about, who were top of the pile at ITU and then performed at the long course, they're different to the vast majority of ITU studs now.

Granted athletes like the Brownlees will jump between distances successfully, because its not about entitlement & instagram to them, its passion. But this new generation, they'll do it when they can't get Barrie to interview them anymore, then realise a 4 hr race is a long time....and thats the end of it.

Frodo, Daniella, Nicola, make the most of them because they're a dying breed.

Shit I'm sceptical.

Not just sceptical, also a Twat.
These guys and girls now have no option but to use Instagram as the sponsors would have that written into their contracts. If they were being "entitled" they would be expecting to get $$ purely on their results which these days doesn't happen. It is a new time, the time of social media, they are just the pawns, be fair.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
nchristi wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
In case you missed, it, the top Ironman guy of all time, Mark Allen, was first ITU World Champion before he won Kona. Mark was unbeaten in 20 short course races in a row before he banged out his 2:39+T2 marathon in Kona.

I don't think the level in ITU was anywhere near where it is now. Maybe the run course was long for this particular race, but assuming it wasn't... A 33' 10k wouldn't quite cut it nowadays.

It was no drafting too. Definitely a super long course (both swim and run). When the ITU guys move up to Kona and beat Mark's time, then let's talk about running ability. Aside from Alistair Brownlee and Gomez, Mark would have done just fine on the run against everyone else. All you guys act as if athletes now suddenly got a ton faster over 1989, when in reality, thing have only budged marginally in the marathon and 10,000m where technology does not come into play (if you compare biking and swimming, times are faster due to technology and for swimming technique and rules). Carlos Lopes' 2:08 from Rotterdam 1983 is the same time that Mo Farah ran in the London marathon in 2014. The main reason for the movement of the 10,000m and marathon world records is because the East Africans got serious. Times from runners from western countries (from which we draw triathletes) are kind of static.

you are off your rocker if you think that mark allen would be hanging with the top itu guys today. he had a SWIMMING background with no running background. so someone who picked up running in his 20s is going to be running 28 flat in the 10K (which is what the Bs, mola, gomez and murray all would be capable of tapered for their A race of the season)? not a chance. macca, who actually did have a running background, got destroyed on the run when he tried to drop down and make the aussie olympic team in 2012. you are incredibly underestimating how fast the guys are in the run in today's ITU racing.

regarding the marathon, the top 10 times ever run all have been run since 2008 and 5 of the top 10 have been run in the past year!

https://www.runnersworld.com/...and-marathon-courses

guys are faster than they ever have been today in a sport that has been around for over a century that has been extremely popular. triathlon has been around ~35 years and the talent pool was microscopic in the 1980s. allen would be blown out the back in the first mile of the run in today's ITU work.

times from western athletes also aren't "static." the US records were set:

M5K: 2011
M10K: 2014
MHM: 2007
MM: 2011
W5K: 2016
w10K: 2016
WHM: 2006
WM: 2006

so deena's marathon and HM records go back 11 years but it's not like anything from the 80s or 90s still stands. rupp, lagat, huddle and rowbury all are much faster than any of the predecessors from the 70s, 80s and 90s. drugs, better training, better talent pools, better competition are all factors but to blindly claim that the fastest guy in the 1980s would be just as fast as the ITU guys today, despite never showing a whiff of running talent that would indicate that he could run what the current guys can run, is just plain silly.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
nchristi wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
In case you missed, it, the top Ironman guy of all time, Mark Allen, was first ITU World Champion before he won Kona. Mark was unbeaten in 20 short course races in a row before he banged out his 2:39+T2 marathon in Kona.

I don't think the level in ITU was anywhere near where it is now. Maybe the run course was long for this particular race, but assuming it wasn't... A 33' 10k wouldn't quite cut it nowadays.

It was no drafting too. Definitely a super long course (both swim and run). When the ITU guys move up to Kona and beat Mark's time, then let's talk about running ability. Aside from Alistair Brownlee and Gomez, Mark would have done just fine on the run against everyone else. All you guys act as if athletes now suddenly got a ton faster over 1989, when in reality, thing have only budged marginally in the marathon and 10,000m where technology does not come into play (if you compare biking and swimming, times are faster due to technology and for swimming technique and rules). Carlos Lopes' 2:08 from Rotterdam 1983 is the same time that Mo Farah ran in the London marathon in 2014. The main reason for the movement of the 10,000m and marathon world records is because the East Africans got serious. Times from runners from western countries (from which we draw triathletes) are kind of static.

you are off your rocker if you think that mark allen would be hanging with the top itu guys today. he had a SWIMMING background with no running background. so someone who picked up running in his 20s is going to be running 28 flat in the 10K (which is what the Bs, mola, gomez and murray all would be capable of tapered for their A race of the season)? not a chance. macca, who actually did have a running background, got destroyed on the run when he tried to drop down and make the aussie olympic team in 2012. you are incredibly underestimating how fast the guys are in the run in today's ITU racing.

regarding the marathon, the top 10 times ever run all have been run since 2008 and 5 of the top 10 have been run in the past year!

https://www.runnersworld.com/...and-marathon-courses

guys are faster than they ever have been today in a sport that has been around for over a century that has been extremely popular. triathlon has been around ~35 years and the talent pool was microscopic in the 1980s. allen would be blown out the back in the first mile of the run in today's ITU work.

times from western athletes also aren't "static." the US records were set:

M5K: 2011
M10K: 2014
MHM: 2007
MM: 2011
W5K: 2016
w10K: 2016
WHM: 2006
WM: 2006

so deena's marathon and HM records go back 11 years but it's not like anything from the 80s or 90s still stands. rupp, lagat, huddle and rowbury all are much faster than any of the predecessors from the 70s, 80s and 90s. drugs, better training, better talent pools, better competition are all factors but to blindly claim that the fastest guy in the 1980s would be just as fast as the ITU guys today, despite never showing a whiff of running talent that would indicate that he could run what the current guys can run, is just plain silly.

Yep, the course would have needed be over a K too long for him to be near the front ITU runners today, Gomez and Brownlee are not the only sub 10k runners off the bike. There would now be a number of ITU guys who are sub 29 min flat runners, remember the federations have known for years younger guys coming up would need to be faster than 29 mins to be competitive right now and faster moving forward.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
macca, who actually did have a running background, got destroyed on the run when he tried to drop down and make the aussie olympic team in 2012.
Macca won the ITU Grand Final and the overall in 1997.

He did not make the 2012 AUS team becuase he lost speed on the run, most likely due to age, right?

But I generally agree with you that over the past 20 years, everything about triathlon (and running) has gotten faster. It's no surprise that nearly all of the top long course athletes today, men and women, come from ITU. I think Jordan wrote earlier on this thread, or one similar, that fast triathletes are fast, no matter the distance.

Triathlon has totally evolved into a running sport, with some swimming and cycling for a warmup.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Aug 17, 17 4:00
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
mag900 wrote:
macca, who actually did have a running background, got destroyed on the run when he tried to drop down and make the aussie olympic team in 2012.

Macca won the ITU Grand Final and the overall in 1997.

He did not make the 2012 AUS team becuase he lost speed on the run, most likely due to age, right?

But I generally agree with you that over the past 20 years, everything about triathlon (and running) has gotten faster. It's no surprise that nearly all of the top long course athletes today, men and women, come from ITU. I think Jordan wrote earlier on this thread, or one similar, that fast triathletes are fast, no matter the distance.

Triathlon has totally evolved into a running sport, with some swimming and cycling for a warmup.

Nope, triathlon has just evolved into a faster sport all round, Look at the swim times and bike power, athletes are just faster, full stop.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU vs long distance athletes [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:

Tell that to Lionel Sanders!

I take your point though, I've felt much the same watching some of the ITU races this season.
Quote Reply

Prev Next