Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming calf cramp
Quote | Reply
Hi

I wondered if anyone else had suffered from calf cramps when swimming, it happens every now and then but after feels like I have been kicked in them and hurts like a bruise for 3-4 days. I am drinking plenty of fluids and eating correctly but can't seem to work out why this happens.

Many thanks Paul

This weeks VLog 21 - Triathlon kit I use
youtu.be/c6dvsrvFyYE
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [CelebSuett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There has been recent work that demonstrated muscle fatigue is largely to blame for cramping. Other factors were much weaker influences.

I occasionally got foot cramps as a swimmer, rarely a run-away calf cramp.

When they occurred, it was brought on by additional load on the muscles. Flippers, pushing off the wall, hopping off the bottom repeatedly (water polo in shallow pool).

When they became slightly more frequent, I had also added running to my exercise routine to drop weight (teenage years).

I would suggest rolling, stretching and possibly a deep massage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Competitive swimmer since age 6 (now 26) and I've literally NEVER had a calf-cramp swimming. I have nothing to prove this, but I think it comes down to ankle flexibility and just getting used to having your foot in that sh*tty position (remember, it will make you a slower runner). My only evidence is that I used to show up hungover/still drunk for Saturday morning out of season practices and still never got calf/foot/whatever cramps.

YRMV

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Competitive swimmer since age 6 (now 26) and I've literally NEVER had a calf-cramp swimming. I have nothing to prove this, but I think it comes down to ankle flexibility and just getting used to having your foot in that sh*tty position (remember, it will make you a slower runner). My only evidence is that I used to show up hungover/still drunk for Saturday morning out of season practices and still never got calf/foot/whatever cramps.

YRMV

Nope, I get them when I'm out of shape, and I can get my foot into that shitty position really easily. I generally push off pretty hard, so that's part of it.

Back when I was a real swimmer, a little younger than you are now, I'd get them if I slept in and rode my bike hard to get to practice on time.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd second flexibility. I cramp a lot. I have the flexibility of a crowbar.

Dehydration could also be a factor, but not for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:

YRMV

I was similar to you until I got older so age could be a factor. Ankle flexibility isn't an issue for me but late 30's I got occasional calf cramping. My guess would in my situation is was over worked from running.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretch your calves before you get in the water. I am more likely to get foot cramps, and I get calf cramps if my calves are REALLY tired.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to regularly have calf cramps while swimming 2K or more. I'm pretty sure it was due to fairly rigid ankles and my nearly non-propulsive kick. I don't think you'll find many swimmers with a strong kick and flexible ankles with this problem.

It's been a slow process over the years of working on relaxing my ankles, feet and calves when swimming, foam rolling daily and not 'over kicking' to compensate for lack of propulsion. It still happens selectively when I swim after a hard spin or a longer swim of 3800M or more, but I have seen significant improvements. There is hope!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [SdB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had calf cramps when swimming open water. As the previous poster said it might be due to the almosrt non existent kick due to the wetsuit. If I get it again I'll try and kick more.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [cerebis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for the advice, kicking off the walls normally causes it
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

Thinking about it I have got them after a heavy running session the day before so might be just tired legs, thank you for the help

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been running/biking to the lakes now and still no issues. I'll report back in 10 years to see if anything has changed.

I never get cramps anywhere, honestly. Maybe it's my genes, maybe it's maybelline. It could be like altitude sickness...some people, fit as ever (my friend who hadn't swam in a year, swam for 2 months and went a 27.8 50y breast from a push) just can't handle even 4000ft.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had HORRIBLE calf cramps in 2015 as well as 2016. I had one in the last 300m of the 70.3 in Florida and it hit so damn hard I immediately clenched my calf and started sinking to the bottom.... So far this year (fingers crossed) I have not had any issues while training. I feel that the previous cramps were largely due to overuse or muscle fatigue. The 2 things that I have changed would be more control/consistency over my training (I now use training peaks premium and watch my CTL/ATL) and I also changed my running form. Few years ago when the Newtons were in vogue, everyone was obsessed w/ forefoot running. I know this is opinion but I lean more towards a midfoot/hindfoot strike currently while keeping my weight foreward. Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [mtstanek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much that's really helpful
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Foot cramps very occasionally and calf cramp maybe once a decade.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming calf cramp [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you and will do
Quote Reply