Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are some aspects of swim technique overrated? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
He lifts his head to sight. Most of the rest of the video he doesn't do that.

Swimming with a high head position makes sighting even easier as a side-effect.

What I have found impressive about that video in addition to Neyedli's turnover is his maintained speed when he sights.

I Neyedli pops his head almost clear out of the water and STILL swims fast during those strokes. For sure, he's not stalling out the moment he takes several strokes head out of water.

I know his body position is still flat with his head popped out of the water, but I can't believe that you could legitimately call that a remotely low-drag / low energy body position if the head is included in the equation.

I mention this because of the ongoing discussion above, with some posters maintaining that swimming is almost all a matter of drag reduction - I'd say this is a pretty clear example of how powerful the propulsion of these fast swimmers really is. It's not some avg AGer engine with markedly superior drag reduction - it's a F1 turbocharged engine WITH drag reduction.

Here's an oldie that I keep bookmarked as well - a reporter swims against a talented competitive swimmer who wears ridiculous drag-inducing costumes. The reporter's not a terrible swimmer either - he goes through 100m in 1:30, but still gets beat by the parachute outfit!

https://www.nrk.no/sport/ramm-vs.-henrik-christiansen-1.12078009
Last edited by: lightheir: May 17, 17 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Are some aspects of swim technique overrated? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes power matters.

That's what the monthly fish thread is about, what my "favourite sets" thread is about.

Technique threads are aimed at the other stuff besides power.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also because his legs are up all the time, that position remains fairly low drag, it isn't low energy, because you still have to maintain enough lift to keep the head out of the water, but the drag isn't that bad.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Are some aspects of swim technique overrated? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Yes power matters.

That's what the monthly fish thread is about, what my "favourite sets" thread is about.

Technique threads are aimed at the other stuff besides power.

With regards to this thread though, I'm of the opinion that the thing the OP is lacking first and foremost is stroke power (I'm in the exact same boat.)

In my limited-ability opinion, drag reduction through an improved kick/leg/body position will get him <5sec/100; I'd actually guesstimate <2sec/100. I'm actually of the opinion that the OP shouldn't spend gobs of time working on his kick/body position as a result, especially since the wetsuit helps with so much of the leg position. But I'll defer to the much better/experienced swimmers here who have posted above to lead him to where his highest ROI in training should be.

Alas, I can also commiserate with the OP's swimming 5-7x/wk and not becoming a true FOP swimmer. I did the same, got a little better, but I'll never remotely come close to swimming with the fish. (I consider myself a decent AG runner yet I can't remotely run with the gazelles on ST either...)
Last edited by: lightheir: May 17, 17 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because he's bending at the waist and knees the drag hit is quite significant. It's pretty easy to see the hit he takes due to drag, look how much he slows between strokes when he's trying to "glide".

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Are some aspects of swim technique overrated? [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been coaching youth and high school for 20 plus years. To keep it simple....distance per stroke. Probably the easiest thing to work on. Less strokes per length. Reach farther to get the "rhythm"others mentioned. Make sure your hips are rotating too.

As simple count your strokes per 25 and then tinker to get it down. Swim golf if you will.

Agree with others...you just look choppy.
Quote Reply
Re: Are some aspects of swim technique overrated? [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another small detail I don't think anyone mentioned - but there's quite a difference between you and your friend in how you finish each stroke.

Pause here:

Do a couple more quick pauses and you'll see your hand sort of turns and slides out of the water, and your elbow seems to stay bent a bit.

Now go watch your friend's video and pause in the same phase of his stroke. Every time at that phase he finishes with a snap to get more propulsion.

Like I said it's a small detail and not nearly as important as reducing drag on your legs, but something to think about.
Quote Reply

Prev Next