Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! - headset/fork issue
Quote | Reply
Done this before on other bikes, but having an issue with my headset/fork. old slice, standard type of set up here, nothing fancy or integrated. I loosened stem bolts, loosened cap bolt, removed the top cap and stem, and was just removing a spacer to lower my stem, then put spacer back on top of stem. but now, when i tighten everything back up, i have some play in my fork. its like the whole ensemble isn't sinched down tight enough, and i can rock the fork fore/aft a mm or so. ive tried pushing down to try and have everything be snug, no luck.

are there any little tricks im missing to get everything tight as it was before i fudged it all up? i neeeeed to get a good ride in tomorrow and cant ride with the fork like this! help! thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help! - headset/fork issue [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that issue with my NP3 and the Zipp Vuka Stealth cockpit. For some reason, the preset tension from the headset bolt does not work correctly unless there is a spacer on top of the "stem" area.

You say you removed a spacer. Maybe that is the issue? Trying putting all the spacers back the way they were before and see what happens. Tension works in mysterious ways.... at least to me it does.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Help! - headset/fork issue [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah i put the spacers i took out from below the stem back on top of the stem. so the arrangement on there is the same as it was before space-wise, same stem and same spacers...its just in a different "order". there wasnt any play in there before so idk why it got all messed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you say, "pushing down", what do you mean? When I lower stems, I like to sit on the top tube, align the stem, tighten the cap bolt, then tighten the stem bolts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so another way of understanding what I said in my post is that "order" matters when it comes to proper tension of the headset. Put all your spacers back in the order (above and below the stem) that they were before and see what happens.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wil find that the stem is interferring with the top bearing cover.
Quote Reply