Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recent Morf Tech Experience [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My issue with them has been that my thoughts say that flexing the brake/shift cables/housings over and over again, could cause some significant stress wear that would negatively impact performance, or cause breakage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
basically you are talking about this moment many first timer have when they use the first time clip ons.
you are obioulsy raising an improtant point but i think after you have expressed it now 20 times its fine.
people can make choices some will like it some won,t .
some will fall but some people fall regardless.
many many mamy more people will be killed by a shark than those bars ....to use your initial point of letting emotion take over.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
I haven't ridden them so I can't comment but based on others experience with them it seems you're making more out of the learning curve than is warranted.

I'm not discounting the other aspects you've mentioned regarding structural integrity but it seems like Frank is being quite cautious in this matter.

Once this product makes it to production I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I also was an early adopter of aerobars as I had my first set of Scott Clipons around 1988.

I will add that a few other people have discussed this privately. I am always amazed what people are willing to talk about privately but don't add publicly, whereas I much prefer to put everything out in public record myself. This is very much a bandwagon behavior. People are not going to want to go against the grain. It is not easy to bring up valid criticism, especially when I like Frank. I hope you appreciate me at least me bringing it up so others that test ride can have a greater conscious awareness going in. The reality is, it is a big enough problem that I think it warrants some discussion. Whether I am making too much or too little of it I don't know, but I look at it as a *** amazing movie recommendation *** that never lives up to the hype. Frankly, in my own life I like to under-promise and over-deliver and I apologize if you think I am making too much of it.

I am not sure if you mean cautious in a similar way as haste, but for the record, a big part of my reason to dismiss this opportunity was that I thought Frank was moving too fast in the process, and I am already someone that loves to move fast. I agree he has slowed down the process but if you look at the original dates and times you will see the timeline was fairly aggressive. I am less concerned with the robustness of the product to tell you the truth. That is my honest opinion. The reality is that the disconnect between mind/body was/is a much bigger issue in my mind. While the ST illuminati (myself included) believe we always have a handle on things, this is one of those epiphany moments that can't be realized until you actually have one. I would ask anyone else who wants to criticize this to at least withhold judgement until they ride Morf and have that "oh-crap" moment. If you really think it isn't a valid concern then fine but as Frank said himself, he also had that moment. While we both made it passed that first incident, the reality is to think everyone will is foolish.

I would love to see this product make it to market, but I think some consumer education would be beneficial. Just like someone swimming in a wetsuit in jumping in ice cold water for their first race there is a great amount of risk. People simple don't know what they don't know. X percentages of those athletes will die in the swim due to anxiety/panic attack that leads to heart attack or SIPE. I do believe practicing open-water swimming, practicing it with others, is a reasonable mitigation strategy. Personally I would hope that Frank, future STers, sales reps, dealers, etc at least explain to people what to think about and prepare for just so they know and are prepared.
Quote Reply
Re: Recent Morf Tech Experience [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
The reason is because our minds are hard-wired to do things. In my short time with Morf I recognized the possible scenario where this could be catastrophic. The reality IMHO is that someone is going to have an "oh-crap" moment where they panic and instinctively reach for the bars and they are not going to be there and they are going to hit the deck hard.

I think this is jumping to a massively false conclusion. I started riding a TT bike for the first time ever 12 months ago, and I had several "oh-crap" moments while on the extensions. My brain perfectly found the bull horn bars without grabbing for where road bike drops would have been. I think this reasoning discounts the speed at which the mind works and adjusts to controls of any sort. But, you have to make the decision that is right for you. As a guy with a tiny amount of industrial psychology in my background, I do not see an issue.

I agree. Not sure how adjusting to this from aerobars is any different than adjusting to riding with bullhorns and extensions when you've been use to riding with drop bars, or going from flat bars to drop bars, or from a coaster brake to hand brakes.

Now, if you just said "I decided, this being most litigious society in the history of mankind, that endorsing such a novel new product which is part of the critical control system and has a bit of a learning curve, the potential liability, no matter how remote, was not worth the sponsorship package" I could understand. But actually calling it potentially dangerous because you think people are going to take their hands off the brakes to reach for brakes that aren't there? Seems a stretch. Maybe, as a pro, you just have that much more neural-muscular programming to riding a certain way. As someone very new to an aerobar set up, I see this and think "that looks WAY more intuitive."

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 16, 17 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Recent Morf Tech Experience [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
basically you are talking about this moment many first timer have when they use the first time clip ons.
you are obioulsy raising an improtant point but i think after you have expressed it now 20 times its fine.
many many mamy more people will be killed by a shark than those bars ....to use your initial point of letting emotion take over.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
I haven't ridden them so I can't comment but based on others experience with them it seems you're making more out of the learning curve than is warranted.

I'm not discounting the other aspects you've mentioned regarding structural integrity but it seems like Frank is being quite cautious in this matter.

Once this product makes it to production I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I also was an early adopter of aerobars as I had my first set of Scott Clipons around 1988.

I will add that a few other people have discussed this privately. I am always amazed what people are willing to talk about privately but don't add publicly, whereas I much prefer to put everything out in public record myself. This is very much a bandwagon behavior. People are not going to want to go against the grain. It is not easy to bring up valid criticism, especially when I like Frank. I hope you appreciate me at least me bringing it up so others that test ride can have a greater conscious awareness going in. The reality is, it is a big enough problem that I think it warrants some discussion. Whether I am making too much or too little of it I don't know, but I look at it as a *** amazing movie recommendation *** that never lives up to the hype. Frankly, in my own life I like to under-promise and over-deliver and I apologize if you think I am making too much of it.

I am not sure if you mean cautious in a similar way as haste, but for the record, a big part of my reason to dismiss this opportunity was that I thought Frank was moving too fast in the process, and I am already someone that loves to move fast. I agree he has slowed down the process but if you look at the original dates and times you will see the timeline was fairly aggressive. I am less concerned with the robustness of the product to tell you the truth. That is my honest opinion. The reality is that the disconnect between mind/body was/is a much bigger issue in my mind. While the ST illuminati (myself included) believe we always have a handle on things, this is one of those epiphany moments that can't be realized until you actually have one. I would ask anyone else who wants to criticize this to at least withhold judgement until they ride Morf and have that "oh-crap" moment. If you really think it isn't a valid concern then fine but as Frank said himself, he also had that moment. While we both made it passed that first incident, the reality is to think everyone will is foolish.

I would love to see this product make it to market, but I think some consumer education would be beneficial. Just like someone swimming in a wetsuit in jumping in ice cold water for their first race there is a great amount of risk. People simple don't know what they don't know. X percentages of those athletes will die in the swim due to anxiety/panic attack that leads to heart attack or SIPE. I do believe practicing open-water swimming, practicing it with others, is a reasonable mitigation strategy. Personally I would hope that Frank, future STers, sales reps, dealers, etc at least explain to people what to think about and prepare for just so they know and are prepared.

Have you had a chance to use the bars? IMHO, this is an entirely different than your example, which speaks exactly to the problem that people are not understanding the disconnect that is possible. This is a very different use-case than a first-time user using aerobars. I know it seems similar but it is not and I am apparently doing a terrible job explaining of it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

This is a great idea. After reading this thread I have recognized a need to emphasize the risk of muscle memory. We will put together a "First Ride Guide" Video emphasizing this risk as well as tips and tricks on how to use them. Again, feedback, good or bad, will only make the product better.

Thanks!!
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

http://www.morf-tech.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Frank,

As always, your comments and continued refinement of the product are appreciated. I agree people can be retrained but it takes time and willingness and that initial hurdle to clear.

Thomas,

How would you compare the learning curve to using clipless pedals?

The learning curves are very different IMO. The reason why is that you will be engaging and disengaging the pedals quite frequently at stop lights etc if you are in the city. The specific aspect of the Morf is in regards to a very specific situation where you have to think very fast. My example of your head being down and a squirrel pops out or maybe a car pulls out and you react without even thinking about it. For those that haven't made it a habit yet this is where the problem is. By instinct, in that moment of panic, I wanted to let get of the aerobars and move to the bullhorns but they weren't there.

The difficulty is that while you can go and practice clipless pedals in the parking lot. It is hard to practice that "panic" that occurs when your body enters that true "fight or flight" mode. You can pretend to practice it but that becomes like asking a friend to hit you in the stomach. It just isn't the same.

Again, this isn't going to be an issue for someone new that hasn't ridden aerobars before. I would think It is most likely to affect someone who has been riding aerobars for a very long time.

Go take a basic motorcycle riding class. You'll do plenty of emergency stops. While you're in the parking lot playing with your clipless pedals ride perpendicular to the parking lines and pick on and slam on the brakes. Do it a bunch more times and get better at it.

I've been riding motorcycles for 12 years now and I do this every spring.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Recent Morf Tech Experience [Frank-S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe off topic but any updates on the UCI status?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its not that you dont explain it well , its just that this crap moment exists with many things , and most people manage to cop on with nothing happening.if not we would not be on this planet anymore.

its not a product i would put on in the american market myself ,were people sue companies for selling them hot coffee and not telling them they have to be careful not to burn themsevles....

overall while I think this bar can cause accidents in some ways ( the crap moment ) but it will prevent others as you are so close to breaks when on tri bars.

interested whats your opinion on the USE bars....

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...regulation-14a/&

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
pk wrote:

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:

Have you had a chance to use the bars? IMHO, this is an entirely different than your example, which speaks exactly to the problem that people are not understanding the disconnect that is possible. This is a very different use-case than a first-time user using aerobars. I know it seems similar but it is not and I am apparently doing a terrible job explaining of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
its not a product i would put on in the american market myself ,were people sue companies for selling them hot coffee and not telling them they have to be careful not to burn themselves ...

You are right that there are a lot of lawsuits in the usa. But do you know why exactly? Who is suing who? In the usa, our crazy number of lawsuits is 99% businesses suing other businesses, not individuals suing about faulty consumer products.

Then, about the hot coffee, you may want to learn a bit more about the details of this case before you write it off as frivolous. When the company behaves, before AND after the event, like a complete idiot, when the victim nearly dies, and gets 3rd degree burns (the worst kind) over 16% of her body, and requires a week's hospitalization and extensive skin grafts, it is hard for me to call that trivial ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 17, 17 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the good news for Frank is that now, thanks to this thread, I've not only heard about these bars for the first time ever, but I also can't wait to try them.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Recent Morf Tech Experience [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did not call it trival but i do belive there is some minimal basics you expect to understand people
and not putting a paper cup of coffee between your legs is one of them ( especially it you want to remove the lid....)
I udnerstand her age ( which i actually did not know but then it should be the responsibilty of her grandson that was with her to take care of her - if she wasnt mentally fit anymore )

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
pk wrote:
its not a product i would put on in the american market myself ,were people sue companies for selling them hot coffee and not telling them they have to be careful not to burn themselves ...

You are right that there are a lot of lawsuits in the usa. But do you know why exactly? Who is suing who? In the usa, our crazy number of lawsuits is 99% businesses suing other businesses, not individuals suing about faulty consumer products.

Then, about the hot coffee, you may want to learn a bit more about the details of this case before you write it off as frivolous. When the company behaves, before AND after the event, like a complete idiot, when the victim nearly dies, and gets 3rd degree burns (the worst kind) over 16% of her body, and requires a week's hospitalization and extensive skin grafts, it is hard for me to call that trivial ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

But learn the details of the case, there is a lot more to this lawsuit story than is typically talked about ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Recent Morf Tech Experience [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
maybe off topic but any updates on the UCI status?

We missed our window for the UCI spring review. UCI has asked for the ISO test results which we haven't done yet, plan to do those tests and life cycle tests as soon as we work out the final details of the design. I'm a little bummed we missed it, but we need to get the design right first. They will meet 5-6 months from now so September / October time frame.

Thanks!
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Frank-S and All,

Gotta love new product idea realization!!

Go Frank!!

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
its not that you dont explain it well , its just that this crap moment exists with many things , and most people manage to cop on with nothing happening.if not we would not be on this planet anymore.

its not a product i would put on in the american market myself ,were people sue companies for selling them hot coffee and not telling them they have to be careful not to burn themsevles....

overall while I think this bar can cause accidents in some ways ( the crap moment ) but it will prevent others as you are so close to breaks when on tri bars.

interested whats your opinion on the USE bars....

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...regulation-14a/&

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
pk wrote:

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:

This speaks back to slightly different topic but I would be happy to compete in Diivy bike triathlon. The fact that we need to always buy buy buy drives me insane. It is certainly a little different for myself trying to do this as a living. With that being said, I do think if a governing body were to step in and standardize things that I would be ok with it. Ultimately the sport is too expensive. I don't mind obsessing over the details but I would rather see more people involved, more bikes on the road etc.

I realize that the purists may prefer the sport and rules being lax. With that being said, I am a TripSockz user, or at least was, and I do follow various aspect of bikes and UK TT like USE Tula Bars or bikes like the Cheetah etc. There is something to be said about having a fixed set of bars with a fixed position that is mentally easier to manage. The fact that the bars "MORF" I believe is where the disconnect lies. While I agree any change is going to be a transition, it is the reality that you have to lock out the bars in the state of panic instead of instinctively resorting to the "back-up" position. I really do recognize this is one of those things you just have to try to realize.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Recent Morf Tech Experience [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello Frank-S and All,

Gotta love new product idea realization!!

Go Frank!!

Thanks Neal! And all who support this little guy trying to make our sport better through innovation!

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply

Prev Next