Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xterra triathlon bike question....And Syracuse Xterra bike course?
Quote | Reply
I'm giving Xterra triathlon a run this season after saying it for at least the last 13 years. I'm registered for 2 races so far. One in Mass in June and the Syracuse, NY Xterra in August. I'm hoping to get one more in there too. I just bought a used 2014 Trek Fuel EX 7 that was barely used and I believe I got a great deal. The bike I've been on up to that point is a 2003 Specialized Epic Marathon with 26" wheels. I bought the epic in 2004 with the intention of racing Xterra back then but nonetheless I continued racing Ironmans. So, the 2003 Epic really doesn't have much use and/or miles. The 2003 Epic is geared more towards XC type racing as the Trek Fuel has more travel etc...My question is this: Is it worth selling the 2003 Epic (I "think" I can get $600-$700 as the bike is old but it's a full XTR group set and is in great condition) or would you race that in the Xterra events cause from what I understand most Xterra's are not so technical and a XC set up may be better? I mostly bought the Trek Fuel cause here in the NH I was getting smoked on a lot of the super rocky/rooty technical trails riding the 2003 Epic. The new Trek with 29" wheels and more travel is a dream. The set ups/geometry is very different between the two bikes. Also, How is the Syracuse Xterra bike course? Hilly?, technical, rocky etc...?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra triathlon bike question....And Syracuse Xterra bike course? [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd bet your 29er all-mountain bike would beat a 14 year old 26er XC bike. Does the rear shock have a remote lockout? If so, then I'd focus on just keeping it locked for often than not. But test t out - try taking both bikes to the same trails and ride them on the same course. It'll be hard to get things to be exact in terms of effort but I'd imagine there will be a fairy similar trend after doing a couple of tests.

You could always reduce the amount of travel on your fork and rear shock too.

I'd say that assuming your 29er is faster, sell that and use the cash to buy a super light set of wheels with fast tires. Stans ZTR Arch, etc.

Re: Xterra triathlon bike question....And Syracuse Xterra bike course? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know just with the very limited time on the newer 29er it feels fast. So you're probably spot on. The rear shock has 3 ride modes including one that locks it out via a switch on the shock. I may give them both a try at a local loop and compare. Wheels....I'll have to take a look at those. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra triathlon bike question....And Syracuse Xterra bike course? [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm inspired to try this out now that I've read your post. I'm going to look at racing either the MA or Syracuse (or both) races.

A new MTB isn't in the budget, so I'll just have to make due with an old 26" Specialized Rockhopper that my neighbor gave me. If I can make it work on the trails here (in the Berkshires), then it will be suitable for the other locations. There's no shortage of rocks and roots to deal with on my local trails.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra triathlon bike question....And Syracuse Xterra bike course? [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I'm mixing it up big time this year. 2 Xterra races, a 60 mile gravel-dirt event on the CX bike, cyclocross in the fall and a few MTB races one which I did last weekend. Oh....and a few Olympic distance road tri's too, almost forgot those. I'm sure your Rockhopper will do just fine. Go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the French River (MA) sprint distance for the first time last year on my 2006 Gary Fisher Piranha 26" hardtail. I ended up 2nd overall so you never know what will happen, but being on an old heavy HT definitely made it harder than it could've been. If I had the choice I'd go with full suspension or at least a newer 29er XC bike. The course is pretty rocky and rooty and I was pretty beat up after 8 miles - the long course race would've been really tough on that bike. But overall it was a total blast and I'd be doing it again this year if I wasn't injured. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra triathlon bike question....And Syracuse Xterra bike course? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on 2nd OV! That's awesome. That's my 1st one this season and I'm doing the Olympic distance version. I'm excited for something new. Injury...ugh...I'm coming back from shoulder surgery last November myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterra Syracuse has about 1 mile of singletrack. The rest are fire roads and actual roads. I would consider riding it on a cross bike but I don't think that's allowed. As far as hills, I guess its all relative but compared to what is available in that area it's pretty flat. I would recommend using the 29er and locking out the suspension. I suspect they weigh about the same so you won't gain much by riding the older bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra triathlon bike question....And Syracuse Xterra bike course? [Jhanley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks. Yeah no CX bikes allowed I guess. Lock out and tire pressure is key then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Pump the tires up plenty. You'll still have a lot of flex even with the suspension locked out.
Quote Reply