Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Speed Concept Front Brake Cover Help
Quote | Reply
I'm building up a 2017 7.5 SC frameset and the front brake cover doesn't fit well.

It's a couple of mm taller than the top of the fork (pic #1). I can shove it in and get it to fit, but then the top of it is splayed out to the side (pic #2). I've looked through a couple hundred pics on the web of SC front that I can find and none look like this. Plus it takes a lot of effort to get it to pop in, and I'm worried it could crack at some point if left this way.

My thought was to just sand down the top part of the brake covers until they sit flush under the stem and call it a day . However, is something defective here (e.g. cover too tall, top of fork made too small) that I should address?

Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Front Brake Cover Help [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't see the pics (blocked from work)...

Did you buy it new or used? If used, I wonder if the original owner replaced the original cover with one that is the wrong size? I believe they are specific to the frame sizes....at least they are in the gen1 SC's. You definitely shouldn't have to force it.

If you bought new, maybe trek screwed up and put the wrong size cover with it??
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: May 15, 17 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Front Brake Cover Help [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a new frame. I don't think it's wrong size for frame. But I'm not sure how big differences between large/XL are for the cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
It's a new frame. I don't think it's wrong size for frame. But I'm not sure how big differences between large/XL are for the cover.

I'd just take it back to the shop, let them figure it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Front Brake Cover Help [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoping to not do that. The LBS is mediocre at best. They'd probably just tell me it's fine as is.

If ST doesn't have any insight (already missing Carl!) I will prob end up doing just that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

A few things to note, the stem should be attached to the bike first and the brake cover goes on last (it should be one of the last things you put in the bike).
With that said, you should install the brake cover top first (slip the plastic notch under the stem), then press down on the bottom of the brake cover (i call them legs).
The cover should snap into place, then you install the brake cover screws onto the brake bolts.
If you install it out of order, it will look like things don't fit into place.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Front Brake Cover Help [rlem7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the response!

The second pic is how it looks assembling exactly as you describe. The top part ends up flared out as it doesn't sit snug under the stem.

I did just stumble into some posts when it first came out with others complaining about the fit of the front cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure the fork and stem are assembled correctly. It's possible to assemble the stem pointing down a bit and so the cover doesn't fit. (one of my customers had this). I had to take the whole thing back apart and assemble it carefully from scratch.

If it is this, the easy way to tell is looking from the side there will be a small gap between them where the two parts meet ahead of the head tube.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same issue, did you find a solution?

I've got a Large SC7 from 2014. Broke front brake cover but replacement cover is too long (W306640) - see photos.

I was thinking of trying a medium (W306643)? Or large brake cover from 2013 model (W328660)?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Front Brake Cover Help [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ended up sanding down the top of the brake cover until it fit. I left the little tab that helps hold it in alone. And just sanded down the sides and in front of tab until it fit.

This part isn’t part of the bike structure so I wasn’t concerned about getting ghetto with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, looking closer that is a gen 1 cover. The gen 2 covers are straight at the neck. The gen 1 (and yours) has a slight indentation/overhang near the top.

If you got from LBS take it back and ask them to order correct part
Quote Reply