Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit forearm panels
Quote | Reply

I saw some wetsuit has this will this much different between the wetsuit that doesn't have the forearm panels.

And if it good why does some top range wetsuit doesn't have it eg. zone 3 victory d, 2XU GHST WETSUIT
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit forearm panels [UnUnU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people think it's mostly or entirely a marketing gimmick, while adding cost and a potential failure point and, depending on the construction, potentially also reducing insulation in a key area (which in warmer water might actually be a good thing). Others disagree.

There's little empirical basis for assessing it, but what evidence there is suggests there aren't performance benefits.

The dominant justification is that the panels are supposed to pull more water; Roka, on the other hand, says its fabric panels help with proprioception, i.e. feeling the water and the arm's position relative to it.

Personally, I vote for marketing gimmick that adds cost and a potential failure point. Pretty sure the forum's fearless leader, who has thought a lot about wetsuit design over the years, thinks likewise. Maybe he'll chime in.
Last edited by: niccolo: May 14, 17 20:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read there hasn't been any noticeable performance increase over a suit without the catch panels. I have a Zone 3 Vanquish with forearm panels that "help you feel the water"... not sure if that really helps me or not honestly. I also have a TYR Cat5 suit that has some ribs on the forearm.. it makes the forearm a bit of pain to put on and I couldn't tell if they help or don't. I'm going to lean to the not really direction there.

Both of my suits fit me well, which is my primary concern with a wet suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit forearm panels [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Some people think it's mostly or entirely a marketing gimmick, while adding cost and a potential failure point and, depending on the construction, potentially also reducing insulation in a key area (which in warmer water might actually be a good thing). Others disagree.

There's little empirical basis for assessing it, but what evidence there is suggests there aren't performance benefits.

The dominant justification is that the panels are supposed to pull more water; Roka, on the other hand, says its fabric panels help with proprioception, i.e. feeling the water and the arm's position relative to it.

Personally, I vote for marketing gimmick that adds cost and a potential failure point. Pretty sure the forum's fearless leader, who has thought a lot about wetsuit design over the years, thinks likewise. Maybe he'll chime in.

There's also been discussion that the panels form a boundary layer of water around it and lets the water slip by and thus, decreasing the the effectiveness of the pull.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did my wetsuit testing years and years ago, I was able to talk with many who designed wetsuits. Almost all said that forearm panels were a cost of entry for the highest end suits but did nothing to make a suit faster and often made a suit slower.

I was sponsored by a wetsuit company years ago. They said "hey we're sending you the fastest wetsuit we make." Imagine my shock and horror when I saw their suit just below the top of the line suit. But then they told me why it was faster. One thing it didn't have was forearm panels.

Now if you prefer N=1 data.........Idk if it was bc I was in excellent swim shape or the suit was fast or a cmobo of the two, I lead out of the water, overall I may add, at a few races from sprints to half's in that suit. At the 70.3 WC exited in the leading group of 5 for the 30-39 wave (yes this is when they sent age groups off in 10yr increments).

I tend to still buy wetsuits that don't have forearm panels bc I've not seen anything to suggest that they've changed much in the years since then. ymmv

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply