Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P5 owners....how do you pack bike for travel
Quote | Reply
I've recently had to retire my P4....loved the bike but recently ran into rear brake issues that couldn't be fixed and taking delivery of a 54cm P5 with the integrated 3T Aduro bar in a few days. The P4 was easy to take apart and pack in my Scicon Aerotech Evolution hardcase. I've heard the P5 is much more difficult to take apart. Looking at Scicon Aerocomfort case which appears easy to pack but have read/heard about potential shipping damage issues. Looking for advice on how to best pack this new ride....usually ship by FedX for my travel needs and know it gets banged around.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 owners....how do you pack bike for travel [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you drill out every spacer such that you can remove it withouth having to re cable / re bleed your bike. Thats a key practice overall but should free stuff up for travel.

I didn't use the high V mount tho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the Aerocomfort on more than two dozen long haul flights, with many, many, connections and have never had an issue. At our EMJ Vegas camp, there were over 30 bags there and no one spoke of any issue with their SciCon bags. If you are at all nervous, you can add some foam padding here and there to give you more protection to potential excessive blows to it.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: P5 owners....how do you pack bike for travel [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Make sure you drill out every spacer such that you can remove it withouth having to re cable / re bleed your bike. Thats a key practice overall but should free stuff up for travel.

I didn't use the high V mount tho.

I did read about that tip....thanks. Wasn't sure if Cervelo made that change to the spacers.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 owners....how do you pack bike for travel [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I have used the Aerocomfort on more than two dozen long haul flights, with many, many, connections and have never had an issue. At our EMJ Vegas camp, there were over 30 bags there and no one spoke of any issue with their SciCon bags. If you are at all nervous, you can add some foam padding here and there to give you more protection to potential excessive blows to it.
Thanks for that feedback. I see where Probikekit has the 2.0 model on sale for $367. Have any idea regarding if the 3.0 model is that much of an upgrade to justify the substantial price difference? Still like to know how difficult it is to remove and replace front end if I prefer to continue using my Scicon hardcase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 3.0 only has a couple minor improvements (the wheels mainly, which have been known to get crushed on the 2.0). The wheels are sold at Home Depot so not much of an issue.

Taking the front end apart on the P5 is not super easy, but doable. The stem is a standard stem, just under the cap the covers it all. The limitation is the the hydraulic brakes, as you cannot undo them so they may make it a bit challenging. Taking the bars off and tipping them over the front inside your case should be easy enough, and hopefully fits with just that minor amount of disassembly.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scicon aerocomfort tri. take the wheels off pad it with bubble wrap and good to go. due to the awkward shape of the case and it being soft and large. it has been the last thing usually put into the luggage compartment of the plane. they also cant really stack anything on top of it. Bike has arrived safe at all destinations without any issues.

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Re: P5 owners....how do you pack bike for travel [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also use the Aerocomfort (2.0). Never had any issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

I think statements like this and the one about the awkward shape of the Scicon TT bag means it gets packed on top underestimate the power of the dark side of baggage handlers!

I have travelled many times with my P5 and my Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 bag and it's generally fine. In 2015 when I arrived in Kona (back door bragging in effect!), however, my bars were twisted 40 degress from center and this was with the stem bolts torqued exactly to spec. So...imagine what kind of force was applied to the bars to have this happen. Now, when I pack the bag, I loosen the stem bolts so that if this happens, the stem can twist freely. (The fork is locked into the metal chassis preventing it from turning.)

I also highly recommend padding the frame with phone. Another issue with the bag is that it offers precious little protection to the RD. I always put the metal bracket over it, but there are many angles from which this expensive piece of equipment is vulnerable in the Scicon bag.

No bag is perfect. The protection of the Scicon is good...but have no illusions...you are gambling every time you put your P5 in the bag and entrust it to baggage handlers.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 owners....how do you pack bike for travel [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only speak from experience, from what I gathered from my teammates in Vegas. No broad claim, just empirical data over 6 years of using the bag. Surely, there are times when bikes get damaged in that bag, as they would in any other bag/box, and the rear derailleur is an area I have also noted as a risky point. With Etap, I just take it off completely, and store it away safely. Problem solved.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree.

It's good enough to manage the risk. A hard case is safer, but introduces a whole new set if risks. So many riders have bikes fail at big events due to errors in reassembly that don't turn up in a short test ride but do during 180km.

It's the only way I'd go for a p5. The bike bag is the only remotely attractive feature of the p5x for me. But I'll keep my money and my p5!
Quote Reply
Re: P5 owners....how do you pack bike for travel [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel the same way! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for replies guys. Frame was delivered to LBS yesterday....looking forward to build and fit. Looks like the Aerocomfort 2.0 could be the choice, especially at today's discounted price. Question: can the P5 extensions be easily removed or turned and fit in the non-tri version of the bag.....thinking of easier to fit into car trunks. Or do you have to use the slightly larger "triathlon" version" and keep the extensions in place? Any problems with the triathlon version fitting into regular car trunks? Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on SciCon for my P5. The bag has taken a beating but P5 has been happy.

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not had luck with the aerocomfort tri fitting into the trunk of a regular sedan tried with the RL, LS400, and LS460L. it always goes in the back seats, the bag is BIG....

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply