Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for "training" my neck on the bike
Quote | Reply
Last December I had my fit adjusted and some of the main changes we made were to shift the seat and arm pads forward, and drop the pads down. I've been on the trainer in the aerobars in the new position all winter/spring and I really like it. I find it more natural and comfortable than when I was more upright.

This week I finally got outside in this lower position and my neck is getting sore as I try to balance sighting and keeping my head tucked. I imagine the simple answer is to just keep riding outside in the aerobars and adapt, right?

Anything else I should be doing? Maybe put some spacers back under my arm pads and progressively remove them as I'm adapting? Probably raise the computer that's in front of my trainer so I'm forced to "look further down the road" while staring at TrainerRoad and whatever I'm binging on? Do people do neck strengthening or stretching?

Any thoughts on whether helmets with integrated visors (e.g. Podium, Aerohead, Cerebel) help with this? Last year I got some Smith Pivlock sunglasses because the top of the frame of my old glasses was getting in the way of sighting. Now with the Pivlocks my vision isn't blocked by a sunglass frame but I find I have to lift my head slightly so my vision isn't split by the top of the lens/gap before the helmet.

Long story short – any advice for "training" my neck?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for "training" my neck on the bike [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's going to be sore for a while... and will probably never feel "good". Raising your computer so you have to look "farther up the road" would certainly help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cycle in a Giro Air Attack Shield and I definitely appreciate visor vs glasses for a tucked position.

I think you can be creative when you use the turbo. I'm only doing shortish intervals on it at the moment and I do make an effort to be looking ahead rather than down. I had thought of making a mark on the fence that would replicate the head angle of looking down a flat road. When I have done longer stuff on the turbo I've set up the TV so that is the incentive to look ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is too obvious: Ask the fitter that contorted you into that position, what neck / upper back strength and flexibility exercises you should (have been) be doing to maintain that position. Since your fitter is probably not qualified to give you exercise advice, you should maybe to to a sports physiotherapist and ask the same question.

TL;DR: If you are willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on a fitter, spend another couple hundred on a physiotherapist to enable you to maintain that position without crippling your swim and run.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for "training" my neck on the bike [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a crazy aggressive position. I think it's a good position given that it's otherwise comfortable while also being low in front, but not crazy low by any stretch. I think it's primarily a syndrome of spending the last six months inside on the trainer and not having to look where I'm going.

Plus my back and hamstrings are especially flexible, so my "normally flexible" neck seems to be the weak link in this chain.

It's a good suggestion though. I'll follow up with the fitter and see if he has any suggestions, or if he thinks I should see a physiotherapist.

I suspect more outdoor riding will be the key to adapting, but wasn't sure if other people have found anything else helpful too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told by my PT to wear my helmet on the trainer. At the very least, you will be safer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
Probably raise the computer that's in front of my trainer so I'm forced to "look further down the road" while staring at TrainerRoad and whatever I'm binging on? Do people do neck strengthening or stretching?

This is probably the best way to reduce the occurrence of the problem in the first place. I had a neck issue where the PT suggested doing a foam roller on my upper back (basically, while doing a back bridge) and that, along with specific stretches, helped. Don't do this without asking your PT.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for "training" my neck on the bike [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not have thought of this, but it seems like it could be a good use for my old LG Chrono helmet. Since the tail of the Crono would get close to but not quite touch my back when in the aerobars it would make for a good measuring stick for how much I need to look up to see down the road. Probably just do it occasionally though. Riding indoors is hot enough already.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for "training" my neck on the bike [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocking Rob wrote:
I was told by my PT to wear my helmet on the trainer. At the very least, you will be safer.

Depends on your increased risk of heat stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the guys I know gets his neck used to it by having the TV mounted higher than he would be looking at the road while riding. That way when he actually rides outside his neck actually feels better than when he is riding the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for "training" my neck on the bike [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
One of the guys I know gets his neck used to it by having the TV mounted higher than he would be looking at the road while riding. That way when he actually rides outside his neck actually feels better than when he is riding the trainer.

I've been doing this over the winter: gradually raising my laptop (whilst using Trainerroad) every month so I'm "looking" further ahead rather than staring about 3 ft ahead. It works.

Probably best to gradually adapt to a position over time.
Quote Reply