Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maybe switching from Continental Competition to Vittoria Corsa G+ - CO2 Flat Fix?
Quote | Reply
I still ride tubulars because I have a nice tubular wheelset and I don't really want to spend another $2k+ just for clinchers. I've always had good luck with tubulars and enjoy riding them. At any rate, I've always used Continental Competitions (butyl tube) and have never had any issues. I train on them and race on them. When I get a flat (only happened twice now) I unscrew the valve core, pour in some sealant (I carry a 2 oz bottle of Stans), put the valve core back in, hit it wth some CO2 and I'm on my way. I do carry a spare tire on longer rides/races, just in case, but I've never had to use it. Lately I've been eyeing the newer tubies from Vittoria - specifically the Corsa G+ and Corsa G+ Speed. I'm interested in the Vittorias for both their lower rolling resistance as well as the nicer ride I know a latex tube will provide (plus Vittoria makes a more supple casing). My questions about the Vittorias are mainly around fixing a flat on the road:

1) The removable valve core on a Vittoria seems to be a little different - it looks like it goes all the way down to the tire. Is this the case? If so, I presume I must add the sealant before I glue the tire instead of when I flat? Out of curiosity, can I thread a normal valve extender on with a valve core at the end (like the Continental extenders or the Silca removable valve core extenders)?
2) I've read that CO2 slips through latex mighty quick. Will the CO2 + sealant combo give me enough tire pressure to make it home/to T2? Worst case here would be 5 hours if I got a flat right out of the gate.
3) Please tell me the Vittorias mount easier than the Conti Competitions. It is always quite a struggle to get new competitions on the rims to air up and stretch for a while before gluing...

Any firsthand experience with either the Vittorias (or switching from Conti to Vittoria) would be great too!

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe switching from Continental Competition to Vittoria Corsa G+ - CO2 Flat Fix? [tri_curious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only used the Conti Competition and Vittoria Corsa CX, but the Vittorias have latex tubes so should answer your questions.

1 - don't know, tyres can have different valves, not sure on the ones you're looking at.

2 - yes CO2 does leak through latex faster, but should hold to the end of the bike. I have heard that having sealant in the tyres will slow the CO2 leak. I wouldn't stop using latex because of the risk.

3 - I've been using Vittorias for 5+ years now, compared to the Contis I used before the Vittorias are ALOT easier to mount.

I am biased. My race wheels are Zipp 808s tubulars that are now 10+ years old and cannot justify the cost of new race wheels. I switched from Conti to Vittoria quite a few years ago and have never had a problem.
Quote Reply