Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latest Orbea indeed must be very, very good.

I am still skeptical of that super wide fork due to what it may cause downstream by angling more wind directly into the rider's shins, but it's thin and well shaped pretty much everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the Cervelo P5X and the Andean were both part of the A2 wind tunnel test (Premier Tactical, Cervelo P5, Cervelo P5X, DB Andean, Ventum and Felt) .....it will be interesting to see if the results match up when that report is released.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guys at 220 are a joke, and usually come with near dangerous positions or ideas for athletes. This article and test is a mess and their claims that the eTap did not shift a third of the time from the blips is beyond belief. If that was even close to true, there would ST panic and fury from day one with the system.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Different wheels. Different tires. Very different extensions making it impossible for the position to be replicated. Different water bottle configurations for no discernable reason. And I'm sure 100 other problems.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
The latest Orbea indeed must be very, very good.

I am still skeptical of that super wide fork due to what it may cause downstream by angling more wind directly into the rider's shins, but it's thin and well shaped pretty much everywhere.
How does a bike angle more wind onto a riders shins?
Unless the bike somehow creates a vacuum around the riders shins they will be in air one way or the other. What may be possible is minimising stagnation regions or minimising wake, but I'm not sure how a fork could be predictably increasing drag on shins.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Different wheels. Different tires. Very different extensions making it impossible for the position to be replicated. Different water bottle configurations for no discernable reason. And I'm sure 100 other problems.

Quote:
We included our long-term test Orbea Ordu Ltd as a reference point on the same Enve 7.8s and ran all the bikes with the same tyres, pressures, positions, clothing and power.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fairness, if we buy the Diamondback we can spent the extra, what, $4000.000 on therapy to help understand why spending $100,000+ on a bike is a good idea...
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think of it like this:

You are riding between 2.5 and 5 degrees, coming from the drive side. Your fork blades are deep, and are curved on both sides. Your front wheel is 60mm deep. Your bike has a down tube.

With narrow set fork blades, most of the air that hits and attaches to the blades on the DS is going to flow off the back of the leg and join up with the air flowing over the wheel because the pressure in that area more or less forces is to happen, and then the air flows over the frame. The point of wide set fork blades is to (a) reduce the pressure between the blades and the spinning wheel, and (b) let more air pass through that won't actually hit the frame. I have not done this simulation in 3 dimensions, but I have done it in 2, and the change to *very* wide set legs caused more drag. I will see if I can dig up the data or at least screenshots of that.

Cobb tried a similar thing with their Time Bandit forks awhile back that worked by actually building in a pressure relief near the fork crown and tall enough to accommodate very deep rims. That created a reduced pressure area that caused air to be sucked through the relief and away from the rim. It was supposedly slower than a normal aero fork without the wheel spinning, but faster once it was spinning. I don't know what the effect was downstream. I actually have 2 of these forks, one which I modified by filling the pressure relief so that it's just like a standard (albeit narrow) fork. At some point I will get an opportunity to test that. I would like to see it tested in both a Ventum/Omni scenario as well as a standard frame. Some day.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the part that I find most curious: "Dimond wouldn’t let us wind-tunnel test the Brilliant"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the HED Corsair clip-ons have any option to be pedestal'ed using spacers. I also don't know how the two Bento Box + BTA configuration would work if the bike's used with pedestal'ed clip-ons. Lastly, it appears the middle bento won't work if you have your elbows tight together.

Unless your fit matches the Andean without spacers, the front end will probably look wonky no matter what.

tri-run wrote:
kileyay wrote:
My god, look at all that stack

That was my first thought as well, why not bring the tube box down and the armpads up. But that was maybe just too much trouble of a demo bike to perform without the right HED spacers. But for the picture, as a magazine, i would have brought the box down. Interesting that Dimond didn't allow to bring their bike to the wind tunnel.....
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: May 15, 17 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No matter what you think your shins are always going to sit well outside your forks width to have any real influence???
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You clearly have not looked at how wide they went. Monstrous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimond "Superfork" and the latest Orbea Ordu that Starky is on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Dimond with a superfork. The widest part of my superfork is 110mm and the outside of my cranks where the pedal threads start is 160mm. Your shins are a lot wider and never close to your forks to have any real affect. What your trying to imply would only have and relevance at 0 degrees wind yaw angle anways???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Not at all. Lots of air can flow off the fork and be aimed at your shins, despite being narrower than your shin spacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero and riding test on Dimond, DB Andean and Cervelo P5X by uk magazine 220triathlon [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
I don't think the HED Corsair clip-ons have any option to be pedestal'ed using spacers. I also don't know how the two Bento Box + BTA configuration would work if the bike's used with pedestal'ed clip-ons. Lastly, it appears the middle bento won't work if you have your elbows tight together.

Unless your fit matches the Andean without spacers, the front end will probably look wonky no matter what.

tri-run wrote:
kileyay wrote:
My god, look at all that stack

That was my first thought as well, why not bring the tube box down and the armpads up. But that was maybe just too much trouble of a demo bike to perform without the right HED spacers. But for the picture, as a magazine, i would have brought the box down. Interesting that Dimond didn't allow to bring their bike to the wind tunnel.....

They do. This keeps getting repeated. It's just not true: https://www.hedcycling.com/aerobar-risers/

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next