Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post ur arm pad width.( Center to center)
Quote | Reply
Mine is 220 mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Post ur arm pad width.( Center to center) [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My arm pads touch each other :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
135mm
Quote Reply
Re: Post ur arm pad width.( Center to center) [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
My arm pads touch each other :)

What the hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
154mm. For what it's worth that's as narrow as I can get and still have a bottle between my arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Post ur arm pad width.( Center to center) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I to wide?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Am I to wide?

Maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ post a picture of your fit and front end setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a TTer only Damien. Plus I'm double jointed so that helps. I had to drill and tap new holes in the arm that the pad holders mount to., stock wasn't narrow enough. Plus I cut off the excess, probably saved .3 watts :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that John Cobb has posted something about narrow hand position, but the pad width does not need to be too narrow....air still has to flow around your hips at some point unless you magically make your hips as narrow as the pad width. I guess the question is what happens to the airflow after it passes the pads but before it hits the hips and which option results in less drag/better laminar airflow....maybe one visualization is less "back window shudder" if you consider the "window" between upper arm and hips to be an opening that the air can slam down around you and inside and hit your body or if you manage to deflect most of it out to the side. Seems like the general consensus though from most wind tunnel sessions is "narrow is better". But intuitively it does not totally make sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Post ur arm pad width.( Center to center) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having my arm pads narrow forces me to roll my shoulders in, so for me it's faster. Everyone is different though.
Quote Reply
Re: Post ur arm pad width.( Center to center) [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
Having my arm pads narrow forces me to roll my shoulders in, so for me it's faster. Everyone is different though.

I can see that. For my morphology, a too narrow pad position pushes my shoulder blades together and pushes my neck up. I can't get my head in between the shoulders once the pad width gets too tight.

I don't know how aero this really is, but Natasha Badmann uses a wide pad low head, moderate hand width position:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe because of the bike ;) remember she has no bull horns on that bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Post ur arm pad width.( Center to center) [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That 'looks' terrible and seems like the worst of many worlds. I was at pad touching stage but putting them slightly wider allowed my scapulae to stay wider and let me hang my head in lower. I never tested conclusively if this was faster. It 'looks' a lot better and it is a heck of a lot more comfortable. My entire front end is set passively now just by locking in the elbows and holding the shifters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try shrugging your shoulders as you protract. If your cockpit is set up correctly it should hold the shrug for you.
Quote Reply