Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Following Dan Emfield's article on Rob Urbach's departure from USA Triathlon, it got me thinking.
Both Skip Gilbert and Rob Urbach came from a non-triathlon background. Gilbert was an ex soccer player and had never even done a triathlon prior to being hired by USAT. Urbach came from a business background but was at least a triathlete.
So, I have two questions.
  1. How important is it for the next executive director of USAT to have a strong background in triathlon?

2. Should the federation be overseen by ex top tier triathletes such as Hunter Kemper, Paula Newby Fraser and Gwen Jorgenson (yes, I know she's not retired)? Or maybe even someone with a combination of many years of business experience and a history of triathlon competition such as Dan Emfield?
What do you think or does no one really care about who leads USA Triathlon in an era of declining membership and the disappearance of small (non-Ironman events)?
Last edited by: smoothoperator: May 13, 17 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon [smoothoperator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can care less
Quote Reply
Re: Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you care a moderate amount?
Quote Reply
Re: Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon [smoothoperator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thread. I really feel they should be much more vibrant and transparent. Much of the work has been shrouded and I'd like to see someone who makes us (members) feel like we're getting something for our $$, instead of the supporting a bulky staff. PNF would be simply awesome, but I doubt they could pry her from WTC. I also think Dan would not want to return to a 9 to 5, although he has had quite a bit of needed involvement in the past. I do really care who they put in place, as I feel they are really struggling right now in the eyes of most members who see no return on membership fees. Many things need to be renovated and made more transparent, such as TeamUSA and the value of USAT to members.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oy. I've chalked up membership to simply one of those things you have to have to race. Whomever it ends up being, I hope they have a tri background and know how to lead change.

My opinion falls on deaf ears, but I care about:

1. Promote the sport and participation. There is no good reason for me to podium. Or get top 10. Or even top 10%. I'm not good enough to. But if I'm one of 3 people in my age group......

2. Get younger participation. I'll never forget having my ass handed to me by a pair of 12 year old kids at Wildflower in the mid-90s. More kids. They're cute and full of energy.

3. Don't forget about us age groupers. Whatever that means....

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does USAT actually do? If they went away, would it matter?
Quote Reply
Re: Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If they went away, would it matter?

I think you'd find a lot of races went away since they make it pretty damn easy to get your race insured.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need to have a large background in triathlon but you do need to have people around you that have in depth knowledge about the sport. You need someone, be it an ex-athlete or outsider who can facilitate change, figure out the politics both inside ITU and USAT, someone who can delegate or take charge.

I'd like to see USAT move forward on 4 issues. Age group doping , drafting, global rule book & transparency.

USAT's current approach to age group doping is put your head in the sand. It's a see no evil, hear no evil speak no evil approach to agr group doping. It's in fact been pro- doping. First by allowing booths at multiple National Champs last year promoting AG doping and second by stopping all committee work on AG doping in the 14-18mo before the Olympics. Other NGB's and race production businesses like WTC have made USAT at best a laggard in this category.

USAT's approach to drafting isn't working. It's probably about time for Charlie to go. USAT should also look to see what it can do to mandate better enforcement to drafting with the races is sanctions

USAT and the French federation are the biggest obstacles to a global rule book. USAT has members that race around the globe. Press the easy button for those members when they travel to races

I feel the recent changes to the sunshine policy were unfairly influenced by the BOD's encouragement to have them passed. Transparency is good. USAT is more opaque than it was.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I don't think you need to have a large background in triathlon but you do need to have people around you that have in depth knowledge about the sport. You need someone, be it an ex-athlete or outsider who can facilitate change, figure out the politics both inside ITU and USAT, someone who can delegate or take charge.

I'd like to see USAT move forward on 4 issues. Age group doping , drafting, global rule book & transparency.

USAT's current approach to age group doping is put your head in the sand. It's a see no evil, hear no evil speak no evil approach to agr group doping. It's in fact been pro- doping. First by allowing booths at multiple National Champs last year promoting AG doping and second by stopping all committee work on AG doping in the 14-18mo before the Olympics. Other NGB's and race production businesses like WTC have made USAT at best a laggard in this category.

USAT's approach to drafting isn't working. It's probably about time for Charlie to go. USAT should also look to see what it can do to mandate better enforcement to drafting with the races is sanctions

USAT and the French federation are the biggest obstacles to a global rule book. USAT has members that race around the globe. Press the easy button for those members when they travel to races

I feel the recent changes to the sunshine policy were unfairly influenced by the BOD's encouragement to have them passed. Transparency is good. USAT is more opaque than it was.

I completely agree with ALL of your points. I'm afraid of what may happen though with the current board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smoothoperator wrote:
Following Dan Emfield's article on Rob Urbach's departure from USA Triathlon, it got me thinking.
Both Skip Gilbert and Rob Urbach came from a non-triathlon background. Gilbert was an ex soccer player and had never even done a triathlon prior to being hired by USAT. Urbach came from a business background but was at least a triathlete.
So, I have two questions.
  1. How important is it for the next executive director of USAT to have a strong background in triathlon?

2. Should the federation be overseen by ex top tier triathletes such as Hunter Kemper, Paula Newby Fraser and Gwen Jorgenson (yes, I know she's not retired)? Or maybe even someone with a combination of many years of business experience and a history of triathlon competition such as Dan Emfield?
What do you think or does no one really care about who leads USA Triathlon in an era of declining membership and the disappearance of small (non-Ironman events)?

we have proof how dan thinks and what not, so he would make a great non biased board member who knows the industry, with effects of other sports on it. go for it dan!
Quote Reply
Re: Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am not good fit for the board. that board has its culture and i'm fine with its culture. but it's not my culture. i would rather be a friend, an ally, a resource for the federation while letting the board manage the federation the way it sees fit.

i have my own sense for what might add value to triathlon in the US and i think that's best done with me not on the board. but i think USAT would remain a very valuable strategic partner.

to be less oblique about it, i'm cool with draft-legal tri, gravel-plus tri, and all other iterations of tri that hasn't been much tried in the US, but i don't think USAT should take the lead on this. i think it's private industry that should do it, with USAT as a backstop and an enabler for industry. i'm more happy and more comfortable getting way out over my skis on new paradigms, and then if USAT looks at what i'm doing and thinks there's there there, fine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“The Board of Directors is excited to move forward with its newly developed strategic plan...

Not sure I know enough about governing body management, but I do have a fair amount of management education and experience, as well as some non-profit board training. The above quote is very telling. In my pea (pee?) brain, a board should be setting goals for the CEO, not developing the strategic plan. If the board wants someone to execute their plan, that's more of a COO position.

A CEO should be developing the strategic plan while building support with the board. The quote makes it look like the board developed the plan without the CEO. That makes we wonder if there are other problems within USAT that are deeper than whether or not Mr. Urbach was still a good fit.

Of course, I could be very wrong. Wouldn't be the first time... today... and it's still early!
Last edited by: FatandSlow: May 14, 17 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've contacted USAT on two occasions. First, about whether I needed to have a TUE . That was an okay interaction but they never really gave me a response because they didn't actually know the answer. Second time was a race results issue. Following the rules I contacted USAT. Never got a response. I don't know what USAT does for its actual members, other than send out a magazine, but then there are those member discounts so we all win.
Quote Reply
Re: Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
I've contacted USAT on two occasions. First, about whether I needed to have a TUE . That was an okay interaction but they never really gave me a response because they didn't actually know the answer. Second time was a race results issue. Following the rules I contacted USAT. Never got a response. I don't know what USAT does for its actual members, other than send out a magazine, but then there are those member discounts so we all win.

I also wrote them this year about a race results question, they said they would get back to me, and nothing. Oh well.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Need for new leadership at the top for USA Triathlon [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:

They have a terrible track record on communications, and the transparency is quite lacking as well. I had an e-mail from one of the officers regrading some complaints I made. Once I detailed all of the issues where they had truly dropped the ball and were quite arrogant to me personally I never heard back again. Certain officers and some board members seem to be only interested in themselves and their "legacy". I don't trust them and would not put much stock in them finding someone who will benefit the paying membership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and apparently they put on pretty good Nationals events.
Quote Reply