Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best recipe
Quote | Reply
What is your for 1MM dollars (or get laid) best recipe or meal?

Looking for stuff to cook.
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Here's a good place for you to start.:-)

https://www.brit.co/...ional-cuban-recipes/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This time of year I'm in love with chicken souvlaki. Easy, cheap, delicious, healthy, quick. Cube up a bunch of chicken, equal parts olive oil & lemon juice, a bunch of chopped garlic, a bunch of oregano, salt, pepper, let it sit and marinate for a while, at least 6 hours, up to 20ish, usually I let it go 10-12. Throw it on skewers, grill it. I like to serve on a Greek salad of chopped tomato, cucumber, onion, olives, feta, some more oregano, olive oil drizzle, no lettuce. My wife likes some tzatziki on hers sometimes (plain Greek yogurt, some garlic, lemon juice, small-chopped cucumber, dill, mix it up well...I don't measure any of it).

It won't get me laid, other recipes for that, but it's consistently enjoyed by my wife & guests.

windywave wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have to think about best but off the top of my head a simple go to is:
In a large sauce pan or skillet
  • Brown a 1/4 pound ground beef and then drain
  • Add two cups water, 2 cups tomato sauce and 1/8 red wine.
  • Bring to a simmer and then add 1 pound up to 1 1/2 (16 ounces) favorite tortellini (small ones work best)
  • season if you want but dependent on what sauce you use may not need to
  • simmer until tortellini are cooked and sauce thickens, about 10-12 mins.
  • If tort is cooked and sauce hasn't thickened enough simmer on high for a min but watch it will thicken quick
  • plate and sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top while hot so it melts

salad and garlic bread. Red wine optional. 20-25 mins total

ETA - wife makes a great chicken divan. Don't know her recipe off top of my head but it's great.
Love the topic. I've almost posted this before because I like new ideas and the only kind of cook books I like are local or PTA style.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: May 12, 17 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make homemade ravioli 3 ways. Toss in a bottle of wine and you've got a good night ahead of you.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My chili gets almost universal rave reviews. Sweet, spicy, savory. The key components are brown sugar to cut the tomato acid; fresh, high quality chili powder; and a splash of a robust red wine for that extra something.

• 2 tbsp vegetable oil

• 2+ cups coarsely chopped sweet onion

• 2 cloves fresh minced garlic

• 1 ½ lbs. ground beef (or mix ground hot Italian sausage & ground beef in 1:3 ratio)

• 3 tbsp chili powder (initially; add more later to taste, 20-30 minutes prior to serving)

• 1 large can, 28oz crushed tomatoes

• ½ tsp paprika

• ½ tsp cayenne pepper

• ½ tsp celery salt

• 1 tsp cumin

• 1/8 cup brown sugar (add more to taste as chili cooks)

• 2 15oz cans drained and rinsed cooked dark red kidney beans

• 2 diced jalapeño peppers (use Serrano peppers for hotter chili)

• Splash of red wine

• 2-3 Italian plum tomatoes, cubed and crushed

1. Cook onions, garlic, hot pepper in olive oil; add meat until brown. Drain most of fat.

2. Add chili powder, mix.

3. Add tomatoes, wine, spices, brown sugar, beans.

4. Let simmer on med-low for 1 1/2 hrs, stirring frequently.

5. Top with sour cream, diced scallion, cheddar cheese.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbj after hiking up Mt. Washington. I think that's the best food has ever tasted to me.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mix ketchup, a dash of lime juice, a dash of worchestershire sauce and a bit of nuclear level hot sauce (I have some that my wife picked up in Jamaica last year, first ingredient is Scotch Bonnet peppers. I also have some ghost pepper jelly that works well too.

Makes anything taste fantastic.... threw it on my fish & chips last night.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 12, 17 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Here's a good place for you to start.:-)

https://www.brit.co/...ional-cuban-recipes/

mine will taste better because of the freedom infused ingredients
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
This time of year I'm in love with chicken souvlaki. Easy, cheap, delicious, healthy, quick. Cube up a bunch of chicken, equal parts olive oil & lemon juice, a bunch of chopped garlic, a bunch of oregano, salt, pepper, let it sit and marinate for a while, at least 6 hours, up to 20ish, usually I let it go 10-12. Throw it on skewers, grill it. I like to serve on a Greek salad of chopped tomato, cucumber, onion, olives, feta, some more oregano, olive oil drizzle, no lettuce. My wife likes some tzatziki on hers sometimes (plain Greek yogurt, some garlic, lemon juice, small-chopped cucumber, dill, mix it up well...I don't measure any of it).

It won't get me laid, other recipes for that, but it's consistently enjoyed by my wife & guests.

windywave wrote:

Sounds awesome .... What are the other recipes?
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I'd have to think about best but off the top of my head a simple go to is:
In a large sauce pan or skillet
  • Brown a 1/4 pound ground beef and then drain
  • Add two cups water, 2 cups tomato sauce and 1/8 red wine.
  • Bring to a simmer and then add 1 pound up to 1 1/2 (16 ounces) favorite tortellini (small ones work best)
  • season if you want but dependent on what sauce you use may not need to
  • simmer until tortellini are cooked and sauce thickens, about 10-12 mins.
  • If tort is cooked and sauce hasn't thickened enough simmer on high for a min but watch it will thicken quick
  • plate and sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top while hot so it melts

salad and garlic bread. Red wine optional. 20-25 mins total

ETA - wife makes a great chicken divan. Don't know her recipe off top of my head but it's great.
Love the topic. I've almost posted this before because I like new ideas and the only kind of cook books I like are local or PTA style.

Throw up the divan recipe for the future probably too heavy and oven dependent right now
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I make homemade ravioli 3 ways. Toss in a bottle of wine and you've got a good night ahead of you.

What are the three ways?
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
pbj after hiking up Mt. Washington. I think that's the best food has ever tasted to me.

Lame
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mix ketchup, a dash of lime juice, a dash of worchestershire sauce and a bit of nuclear level hot sauce (I have some that my wife picked up in Jamaica last year, first ingredient is Scotch Bonnet peppers. I also have some ghost pepper jelly that works well too.

Makes anything taste fantastic.... threw it on my fish & chips last night.

Use fresh horseradish and you have cocktail sauce
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You recipe is close to mine but our tomatoes differ a bit and I add green peppers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, but this is far better than cocktail sauce.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
yes, but this is far better than cocktail sauce.

Because you don't put horseradish in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I want a "get laid meal," I'm buying expensive scallops, searing them in butter, drizzling a little citrus vinaigrette.

The biggest hit I make is steaks prepared sous vide & then quickly finished on the grill, a side of cast-iron scalloped sweet & redskin potatoes with smoked gouda (no exact idea on my recipe...it's one of those that I have to be making at the time to convey, pretty much just on feel), some seasonal vegetable prepared however best for the specific vegetable.

My baked mac & cheese is always good. Bacon, sun-dried tomato, rosemary, & caramelized onion. It's another one that I do completely on feel, but the basics of Anthony Bourdain's recipe is surprisingly close to what I do (except I don't do the worcestershire and I use different cheeses)...which was a pretty awesome thing to see after I'd done a ton of trial and error before getting mine dialed in.

You should make ratatouille when veggies are peaking in the later part of summer. Bon Apetit's recipe is a great starting point. I've altered and doctored it to taste, but the bones are great...just reduce the olive oil by 1/3-1/2. It's great as a main or a side, using chunky bread to soak up the juices.

Larb has been a favorite lately also. Really delicious, light, easy, cheap. Bon Apetit's recipe is also a good starting point for it, but there are a million variations & you have room to go wild with it. I think I'm going to play around with a mango-pork larb & see how that goes.

And paella...always awesome. This is the recipe from my favorite restaurant.

If you like pulled pork, I have a great recipe I make in the Dutch oven. That's one I've written down, so let me know & I can fish it out. It's a go-to I make for get togethers, etc.

windywave wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

windywave wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
If I want a "get laid meal," I'm buying expensive scallops, searing them in butter, drizzling a little citrus vinaigrette.

The biggest hit I make is steaks prepared sous vide & then quickly finished on the grill, a side of cast-iron scalloped sweet & redskin potatoes with smoked gouda (no exact idea on my recipe...it's one of those that I have to be making at the time to convey, pretty much just on feel), some seasonal vegetable prepared however best for the specific vegetable.

My baked mac & cheese is always good. Bacon, sun-dried tomato, rosemary, & caramelized onion. It's another one that I do completely on feel, but the basics of Anthony Bourdain's recipe is surprisingly close to what I do (except I don't do the worcestershire and I use different cheeses)...which was a pretty awesome thing to see after I'd done a ton of trial and error before getting mine dialed in.

You should make ratatouille when veggies are peaking in the later part of summer. Bon Apetit's recipe is a great starting point. I've altered and doctored it to taste, but the bones are great...just reduce the olive oil by 1/3-1/2. It's great as a main or a side, using chunky bread to soak up the juices.

Larb has been a favorite lately also. Really delicious, light, easy, cheap. Bon Apetit's recipe is also a good starting point for it, but there are a million variations & you have room to go wild with it. I think I'm going to play around with a mango-pork larb & see how that goes.

And paella...always awesome. This is the recipe from my favorite restaurant.

If you like pulled pork, I have a great recipe I make in the Dutch oven. That's one I've written down, so let me know & I can fish it out. It's a go-to I make for get togethers, etc.

windywave wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

windywave wrote:

If it's not too much trouble I'd love the pulled pork recipe since it is one of my favorite things
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a problem at all. I'll try to remember later tonight but don't hesitate to drop me a reminder if I've forgotten and haven't sent it your way in a day or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

In my experience women are so impressed by a guy who can cook that almost anything you make from scratch will probably impress.

Probably my ace in the hole meal would be home made lasagna with crusty home made bread fresh from the oven. Finish them off with a whiskey cheesecake. If that doesn't do it nothing will.

I don't have any recipes handy but I'm a big fan of Sunset cookbooks. I also like Joy of Cooking but their recipes tend to be more basic and reliable rather than gourmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
My chili gets almost universal rave reviews. Sweet, spicy, savory. The key components are brown sugar to cut the tomato acid; fresh, high quality chili powder; and a splash of a robust red wine for that extra something.

• 2 tbsp vegetable oil

• 2+ cups coarsely chopped sweet onion

• 2 cloves fresh minced garlic

• 1 ½ lbs. ground beef (or mix ground hot Italian sausage & ground beef in 1:3 ratio)

• 3 tbsp chili powder (initially; add more later to taste, 20-30 minutes prior to serving)

• 1 large can, 28oz crushed tomatoes

• ½ tsp paprika

• ½ tsp cayenne pepper

• ½ tsp celery salt

• 1 tsp cumin

• 1/8 cup brown sugar (add more to taste as chili cooks)

• 2 15oz cans drained and rinsed cooked dark red kidney beans

• 2 diced jalapeño peppers (use Serrano peppers for hotter chili)

• Splash of red wine

• 2-3 Italian plum tomatoes, cubed and crushed

1. Cook onions, garlic, hot pepper in olive oil; add meat until brown. Drain most of fat.

2. Add chili powder, mix.

3. Add tomatoes, wine, spices, brown sugar, beans.

4. Let simmer on med-low for 1 1/2 hrs, stirring frequently.

5. Top with sour cream, diced scallion, cheddar cheese.

He's trying to get laid not impress his fire fighter buddies... (j/k)
Quote Reply
Re: Best recipe [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is my tamale "recipe" I'm horrible at writing anything down but the basics is braise pork butt in onion, dried chilies and chicken stock. I tend to vary the chilies because the grocery store ones are so bad I dry my own. Usually it is dried poblano and serrano. I then pull the pork and cook it again in about a cup of braising liquid until the liquid is gone. I combine Masa harina and lard with some more of the braising liquid to make the dough. Fill and wrap in corn husk and steam for 45 minutes. Serve with fresh pico de gallo and pintos.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bacon, eggs, toast, butter. Best 4 ingredient meal I can make.

Good for breakfast or dinner
Quote Reply