Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it, though?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, he is an embarrassment and the whole US government is a farce and a laughing stock of China and Russia etc...

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I need to start getting it through my head when people post what sounds like nonsense, it's likely some form of Trump reference.

Haven't heard this one before.

Just to keep you up to speed.

Did you know Trump graduated the top of his class from the Wharton School of Business?

Apparently neither does anybody else but it's another oft repeated claim of his that no one can verify, and there are some good reasons to suspect it's another line of bullshit from him.
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [Lagerhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagerhead wrote:
Old and Brain Dead. See Reagan [the last 'comprehensive' agreement on legalization]. I, like many conservatives/libertarians am very much in favor of legal immigration. I know two immigration lawyers -- people pay them money and go through a process to become legal residents and yes, become citizens of this country. Sorry., but illegally entering this country by walking across the border does not make you worthy of citizen status. See Canada.

You seem to believe that just anyone can go get an immigration lawyer and they will be able to get permanent residence. So, first, it costs a ton of money (even without lawyers fees, it is very expensive). So, it already highly favors those who could stay in their country and be just fine. Without that 'walk in immigration' you are talking about, you lose all the seasonal workers in this country. Just ask people with orchards etc. if it's doable. Without them, it won't be just produce that's just more expensive, it will be produce that just isn't there because farmers etc. just can't fill these jobs.
The current immigration system needs a reform big time. It's highly inefficient, it's incredibly complex and expensive, and it sure doesn't respect the principles upon which this country was founded ... you know, "give me your poor..."

It doesn't mean everyone should be free to walk in. But the reason of illegal immigration is largely because of how expensive, burdensome and complex the process is right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, he is an embarrassment and the whole US government is a farce and a laughing stock of China and Russia etc...

Many Americans, and in particular, it seems GOP Trump supporters, are people that really seem to care at all, how the rest of the world feels, or cares about, Trump and what the U.S. does. You see it right here on this board, with certain "members" openly hostile to other "members" from other countries who even just suggest that their may be another view or other way of doing things from another countries perspective! They seem to have taken this idea of "American Exceptionalism" to it's absolute extreme.

Despite what, those people say, about this, how the U.S. and it's president are thought of and perceived, beyond the borders, is actually of GREAT importance.

No country or person is perfect. There are things that we can all learn from each other!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Many Americans, and in particular, it seems GOP Trump supporters, are people that really seem to care at all, how the rest of the world feels, or cares about, Trump and what the U.S. does. You see it right here on this board, with certain "members" openly hostile to other "members" from other countries who even just suggest that their may be another view or other way of doing things from another countries perspective! They seem to have taken this idea of "American Exceptionalism" to it's absolute extreme.

Despite what, those people say, about this, how the U.S. and it's president are thought of and perceived, beyond the borders, is actually of GREAT importance.

No country or person is perfect. There are things that we can all learn from each other!
I agree with this and have always found it very strange why many Americans have no idea about the importance of the rest of the world. I think people are being taught from the moment they are born how America is the greatest, the best at everything and how it knows everything, which results in people being very unaware of solutions to existing problems in the US, which other countries might have solved many years ago. Healthcare and education are two obvious examples - two things everybody knows need fixing, yet there is so much reluctance to try and learn from countries with better healthcare and education.

Personally I think the USA is at a great danger of losing its position in the world as one of the leaders (overall) due to the current american exceptionalism focus. The rest of the world will move on and realign their partnerships and lowering the role of the US, since the US is making it very clear they're only interested in themselves and not in anything that is beneficial to other nations, cultures, future generations, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect that whilst the US will remain hugely important for generations to come, the rise of asia, the east and indian sub continents are where the focus of much of the coming decades will be

Xi jing just announced 900bn in infrastructure to open trade routes from china.

Becoming more insular will ñot bring jobs back home or any long term stability

Trump is a liability, has proven to be ineffective so far, is thin skinned and appears to be - given every opportunity he has to speak in public - not that bright

But maybe he will prove us wrong
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long do you think it will take to prove us wrong? I'm not holding my breathe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xi jing just announced 900bn in infrastructure to open trade routes from china.

Yes

Read this - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/...sts/article34980171/

While the U.S. dithers and Trump & Co. is getting worked up about saving a few hundred Coal Industry jobs, in the U.S. and assorted other somewhat to completely dead-end businesses, the Chinese, already the central manufacturing place for well . . . just about everything, is forging ahead, to own even more world markets. The middle east, particularly the Arabian Gulf countries are booming, and there is great growth in parts of Africa.

Look I'm not in 100% agreement with the way China is going about things, but look at this - they forge a good and strong partnership with Pakistan, and get on with things with the massive infrastructure for the port Gwdar on the Pakistani coast!

Trumps adversarial, combative and controversial way of dealing with foreign countries, is not going to help overall with U.S. business interests world-wide. And I thought Trump was the great businessman and deal maker!! :)

The U.S. would be best to keep pushing it's science and technology development for which it is already a world leader in (Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Apple etc . .) but that would not play to the Trump base - but I keep thinking what do Trump voters/supporters think of their iPhones? They are OK with them?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 15, 17 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lagerhead wrote:

Oh wait --- dems want voters --- and businesses want cheap workers --- welcome amigos.

why do you hate capitalism?
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point is snowflake is that people should play by the rules. The immigration lawyers I know make a decent living from people who earnestly want to gain citizenship and want to do so legally. Not everyone should be granted citizenship by simply walking in. But I know snowflake it is unfair -- we should be the world's caretakers. Grow up. The best and the brightest are not walking across the border. I have prosecuted gang members (many of whom are not citizens) for some ghastly crimes. But gee, they just wanted to pursue the American dream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is impressive -- well the wall may at least ensure some degree of fitness for those entering the country. I am reminded once again that the Lavender room is no place to change opinions ---is the Hottie thread back? I'm out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You repeat the same stuff without addressing the issue that the current immigration system is pretty broken.
Enjoy your fruits and wine at 4 times the price when the borders are closed.
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point, if I have one, is that without securing the border you cannot offer a comprehensive and sensible solution for the long term illegals already in the country. What amnesty? Sure, let us invite a few million more to illegally enter the country. Have a reasonably secure border--unlike now--and we can talk.
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For reference, we have actually had a lot of President's in our history who did not break 50% in the popular vote. Bill Clinton never did break 50%.

Now please carry on. I love catching up on the Canadian's bitching about Trump threads.

https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/popular-vote/

cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Breaking news!

Tell me more.

You didn't know that?:-) But seriously, do you think anybody, regardless of country, should be elected leader if they have less than half the popular vote?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Have a reasonably secure border--unlike now--and we can talk.

But not really, because the border will never be sufficiently secure enough to talk. Since there isn't any reality where it will be secure enough to satisfy anti-immigrant folks, the "we'll talk ........ later" is just a bad joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
For reference, we have actually had a lot of President's in our history who did not break 50% in the popular vote. Bill Clinton never did break 50%.

Now please carry on. I love catching up on the Canadian's bitching about Trump threads.

cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Breaking news!

Tell me more.

You didn't know that?:-) But seriously, do you think anybody, regardless of country, should be elected leader if they have less than half the popular vote?

Sure, when there was a comparatively robust 3rd option in Perot so it wasn't like 98% of the vote got split only 2 ways. Nevertheless, BC had more people vote for him in either case than any of his opponents.

Your point...?

"They've done studies, ya know... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prove who / what wrong about what?

Do not understand the post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol you said you are waiting for Trump to prove us wrong. I was wondering how long that would take and I'm not holding my breath that he will.
Quote Reply
Re: Who thinks Trump is a good President? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:

cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Breaking news!

Tell me more.

Sure, when there was a comparatively robust 3rd option in Perot so it wasn't like 98% of the vote got split only 2 ways. Nevertheless, BC had more people vote for him in either case than any of his opponents.

Your point...?

The facts, what was yours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it

I suspect it may be some time..........
Quote Reply

Prev Next