Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Was or Is...English is a funny thing.
Quote | Reply
Looking to see if there were any updates on the topic of Dimond vs. Rapp and came across the following article dated May 11, 2017, from The Des Moines Register, which appears to be well written:

"DIMOND WAS A DES MOINES SUCCESS STORY"...

Quote Reply
Re: Was or Is...English is a funny thing. [sharkbaitguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This article gives a decent summary but doesn't provide any recent update. I have been wondering too and came up empty on my end.
Quote Reply
Re: Was or Is...English is a funny thing. [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
This article gives a decent summary but doesn't provide any recent update. I have been wondering too and came up empty on my end.

I thought it was a unique choice of words to use "was" rather than "is" in the headline:

Dimond was a Des Moines success story.

Dimond is a Des Moines success story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, I agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was is the past tense. It implies that they either are no longer a success, or they are no longer in Des Moines.
I fear you might be reading too much into it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Was or Is...English is a funny thing. [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't imply either as the article is written, it's just a poorly written, Dateline-esque headline (that isn't a headline but two sentences in an attempt to imply narrative/conflict).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkbaitguy wrote:
Trirunner wrote:

I thought it was a unique choice of words to use "was" rather than "is" in the headline:

Dimond was a Des Moines success story.

Dimond is a Des Moines success story.

"has been" would have been my choice, but headline writers tend to go for brevity
Quote Reply