Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Be proud, fellow Massholes, we made the Oxford English Dictionary
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Be proud, fellow Massholes, we made the Oxford English Dictionary [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was travelling for work with a colleague a few years back and we were in Appleton WI visiting a client. My co-worker mentioned in meeting about a systems application being able to handle a process workflow "wicked fast", to which the client replied "Excuse me?" She then explained in all seriousness the difference between "wicked" and "pissah" and that the combination of the two (see the headline of the clip in your post) meant that whatever it was that was being described that way was the very best it could possibly be.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Be proud, fellow Massholes, we made the Oxford English Dictionary [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are Gloucester, Worcester, Leominster pronounced in MA? Like the original English names?

The American pronunciation of "Worcestershire" (as in the sauce) has always cracked me up.
Quote Reply
Re: Be proud, fellow Massholes, we made the Oxford English Dictionary [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
How are Gloucester, Worcester, Leominster pronounced in MA? Like the original English names?

The American pronunciation of "Worcestershire" (as in the sauce) has always cracked me up.

Yes, pretty much - every other town in Massachusetts is named after an English town anyway...It's the English way with a Boston accent, if that makes any sense. Gloucester is "Glaw-stuh", not "glou-ses-ter", Worcester is "Wuss-tuh" not "War-ses-ter", and so on.

There are other towns that better examples of Massachusetts peculiarity, I think. Billerica is "bill-rick-uh". Scituate is "sich-oo-it".

ETA: I like the regional words the best. A packie is a package store (liquor store). A Hoodsie is one of those little ice cream cups kids get in the summer with wooden spoon in the package - named after the Hood dairy. Brian in MA note the use of "wicked" as an intensifier.

Last edited by: wimsey: May 11, 17 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are other towns that better examples of Massachusetts peculiarity, I think. Billerica is "bill-rick-uh". Scituate is "sich-oo-it".

Correct on Billerica where I grew up the next town over. Quincy is pronounced "Quinzee"

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Be proud, fellow Massholes, we made the Oxford English Dictionary [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinzee is about where I realize I've accidentally gotten on a Braintree red line train instead of an Ashmont train on the way home from work, so for me the town is "fuck me, fuckin Quinzee again..."
Quote Reply