Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a place on a golf course with HOAs. At first I wasn't thrilled about it, but I love that my lawn (small) gets mowed, and watered. I like that the outside of my house is their responsibility to paint/maintain, and to date I haven't gotten a letter for being drunk and hitting golf balls at night onto the green. So far, so good!!
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Doesn't sound like much benefit at all. I don't like HOAs and I chose not to ever buy a house in a neighborhood that has one. I guess if its your thing then fine. Who the hell wants to be told what color you can or cant paint your house? I heard of people nt being able to put up storage sheds etc.. Screw that. My property, I will do as I like. I guess if I wanted those kind of rules, I would just rent. Sounds to me a HOA is nothing more than owning a house that you have to follow rules on things you can and cant do to property that you own. No thanks!

If you live in a municipality you live under similar rules, it isn't much different than zoning laws. Adding a shed would require approval. Try turning the the back half of your lot into a meat processing plant.

You seem to be taking some extreme examples as typical HOA behavior. I've been in one since 2002 and never had them stand in the way of anything I wanted to do. I can't raise livestock, open a store front or leave abandoned vehicles in my front yard. It's all pretty reasonable stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same experience..condo building HOA president for 6 years. Only way I got off the board was by moving. We got a lot of good shit done but I was constantly annoyed in how lazy people were.

Since it was a condo buildung it is even worse..considering we all...well..literally shared the same roof.

Still I am a fan. Granted no one was parking boats in the stairways we did prevent a ton of people leaving their shit out there. HOAs in condo buildings are a good thing since condos (in the city anyhow) are often peoples first owned home. Downside is because its their first place the board is perceived as a property management comcompany paby. Told more than a few folks to fix their own damn shower.

aarondb4 wrote:
Yes there are plenty of advantages to an HOA, which is why people are free to buy a house with an HOA just as they are free to not buy a house with an HOA. It is no secret when looking at houses, if you don't want an HOA, don't look in that hood, if you do, go for it.

I like having an HOA. I don't want some dumbass parking four disrepaired boats next door when all the lots are less than a quarter acre. If you have a couple of acres, shoot for shit, most of us don't. I personally don't want a lot of yard so I chose a house that doesn't have much land, that means my neighbors are close, that means I like having rules we all agreed to in place.

Yes there is a reason to have specified colors for houses and shingles. It is no secret either, when you buy the house you sign on for the rules. If you have to rip a roof of that is on the owner and builder it is not the fault of the HOA that someone can't follow the rules they signed on for.

The problem with HOA's is when you have a shitty board that goes outside of their contractual authority like the OP's HOA board appears to be attempting. The reason HOA's get shitty board members is because most people are too damn lazy to run for the board and do anything about it. Everyone wants to bitch and moan, no one wants to do anything about it.

Yes, I am the President of my HOA. No, I do not want to be. Yes, I saw a problem, ran for the Board and fixed the problem. That was 4 years ago, now that the problems are fixed I can't get enough people to show up to an annual meeting to elect a new board. I beg people to be on the board so I can quit and everyone tells me no. But if we do something they don't like they are the first to bitch about it. And yes I have to keep the other board members in line constantly. They are always coming up with stupid ideas outside the scope of our authority, but hey, if no one will step up, then you can't complain about the people in charge and what they do.

Builders are the real problem when it comes to HOA's. They think they can do whatever the hell they want and get away with it. I currently have three problem houses. One was built with zero approval from the HOA, they never even contacted us, just built it. They are going to have to tear the entire roof and trusses off and replace with a roof pitch to code. Two others submitted approved paint colors then decided to paint the houses wild blue which doesn't match the earth tones of the other 180 houses whatsoever. Yes they will be forced to repaint, not due to the HOA being asses, due to the builders being assholes.

Anyway, it is a free country, if people want to enter a contract to have rules with their neighbors they should be free to do so, just as people who don't want the rules are free to do what they want.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That stuff drives me nuts. People think they are absolved of all responsibility because we have an HOA. "My neighbor looked at me funny, do something about it", uh no. "I want to build a fence you have to tell me exactly where the property line is", uh no, that is what a surveyor does, call one. One of my favorites. "The neighborhood next door to ours wants to put in a dog park, you have to get the neighborhood organized against this and hire an attorney to fight it". Uh what? Where do I have authority to spend everyone else's money to fight a dog park on land we don't own that affects two houses out of 182? Figure it out yourself if you don't want the neighbors to have a dog park.

I am totally burnt out on being on the Board and can't wait to get off of it, if only I could find someone to take my spot I would drop it in a heartbeat. I have threatened to raise dues from $225 per year to $2,000 per year. That would get some asses in the seats at the annual meeting and get me tossed off the Board pretty quick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Yes there is a reason to have specified colors for houses and shingles. It is no secret either, when you buy the house you sign on for the rules. If you have to rip a roof of that is on the owner and builder it is not the fault of the HOA...

I do not disagree with you. The wrong shingles were put on. The old shingles were a standard color though, just not the approved color, so I would think some other avenues could have been explored. That wasn't what happened, so be it.

This issue though is just wrong. And because of what happened on the roof I am at my tipping point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Yes there is a reason to have specified colors for houses and shingles. It is no secret either, when you buy the house you sign on for the rules. If you have to rip a roof of that is on the owner and builder it is not the fault of the HOA...

I do not disagree with you. The wrong shingles were put on. The old shingles were a standard color though, just not the approved color, so I would think some other avenues could have been explored. That wasn't what happened, so be it.

This issue though is just wrong. And because of what happened on the roof I am at my tipping point.

Yeah the shingles thing is tough. On one hand you have every house in the 182 house hood with black shingles, the one house with light gray, doesn't really make sense to have one odd duck, and the other issue is once you let one house go, the next guy is gonna put on a light gray roof and when you tell him no he points to the first and says "but they did".

What happened with yours? Did the builder just change colors on you? Who ate the $15k? I feel bad for the current problem house I have. Their builder told them he would handle all the ACC compliance, then totally ignored the ACC and just built the house. All of our houses have a specified roof pitch, this one is glaringly different so they are going to be forced to remove the roof including trusses and try again. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I agree on your current issue, sounds like the woman is nuts, hopefully there is someone on the Board with a bit more sense. If not you might have to rat them out at the annual meeting and get elected yourself. Beware though, it appears that moving or dying are the only two ways out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every person I have known that supports HOAs gives the same lame excuse. They don't want their neighbor having 3 cars up on blocks in the front yard with a house painted neon pink. Its never about that though. Its always about the petty shit like your house being the wrong shade of eggshell or your curtains don't match or you had a BBQ that lasted to 11:03 when the curfew is 11. Similar to the things that make you hate being the president of your HOA.

I support the theory of HOAs, but in practice its always seems to be some pretentious housewife with an authority complex making everyones lives miserable.

FWIW, I'm currently in a battle with our HOA. We have one window on the front of the house where the screen likes to blow off when there are really high winds. If the wind blows it off overnight, I have a letter in my mailbox the next morning telling me I'm in violation. On the other hand, a good friend of the HOA prez has about 93 children and likes to use the visitor parking by the community pool as their personal parking despite a sign saying NO RESIDENT PARKING. Now you're not going to believe this, but somehow, nothing is ever done about that situation. Pretty much sums up my issues with HOAs.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhunter344 wrote:
Every person I have known that supports HOAs gives the same lame excuse. They don't want their neighbor having 3 cars up on blocks in the front yard with a house painted neon pink. Its never about that though. Its always about the petty shit like your house being the wrong shade of eggshell or your curtains don't match or you had a BBQ that lasted to 11:03 when the curfew is 11. Similar to the things that make you hate being the president of your HOA.

I support the theory of HOAs, but in practice its always seems to be some pretentious housewife with an authority complex making everyones lives miserable.

FWIW, I'm currently in a battle with our HOA. We have one window on the front of the house where the screen likes to blow off when there are really high winds. If the wind blows it off overnight, I have a letter in my mailbox the next morning telling me I'm in violation. On the other hand, a good friend of the HOA prez has about 93 children and likes to use the visitor parking by the community pool as their personal parking despite a sign saying NO RESIDENT PARKING. Now you're not going to believe this, but somehow, nothing is ever done about that situation. Pretty much sums up my issues with HOAs.

Yep, all comes down to who is running the show, which is why I am reluctant to just quit. I am the voice of reason currently, if I leave I am afraid the people left are going to run amok. I only go after the big violations and only once the owner has had lots of notice and has essentially told me to go eff myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Builder ate the cost. Kind of. He was a lot easier to work with prior to this.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds infuriating. Here's a good one:

My friend lives in a townhouse with a small yard. Each yard is separated by a retaining wall and staggered in height a few feet. We are talking 2-3' height difference between yards. On my friends side of the wall was a shrub. Friend removed shrub, put some smooth river rock over the ground, and put a small bench there. Some other neighbor (not the one who shares the retaining wall in question) was on him the next day over it, claiming he had destabilized the soil and now, with the weight of a few buckets of river rock on the ground, the 6" thick reinforced concrete retaining wall was in danger of failing. After months and meetings and letters back and forth between the board and himself, My friend had to end up hiring a geotechnical engineer to assess the situation and write a report saying the wall was, in fact, fine, to the tune of around $600.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure that the people there are wonderful, but didn't that video make you throw up just a little?
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little bit, pretty cheesy marketing campaign they sent out.

Neighborhood has a lot of history, was an old plantation back in the 1700's before they developed it into a golf community. The main house was burned by British troops and shelled by union gunboats at some point. They restored the house and now they use it for special events/weddings. Pretty laid back place to live, if you like sipping a cold beverage on the porch, boating or golf it's heaven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We purchased a condominium with an HOA about 20 years ago. The board of directors were complete a-holes. They made every parking space for visitors only. We flew back from Paris and got home around 11:30 PM and I was so exhausted that I parked in one of those spaces. I woke up at about 6:30 the next morning and saw that my car was gone. They friggin had it towed!

At the next election for the board of directors, I presented proxies from about 40% of the homeowners and elected myself and two other pissed off owners to the board. We never went to any of the meetings and they couldn't do anything. I collected the proxies the next year and did the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Other than the roof and this current issue, have you been happy there? Has the lady caused you problems in the past.

If you're happy and don't see likelihood of other issues in the future, you could let her words roll off your back, do her a favor and connect the drain line, have a whisky and be done. What would you have done if she asked nicely and said, "I need a big favor, . . . ."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't moved in yet. But I cannot allow the drain line connection to stay as as it turns out the city (Bunkerhill) won't allow it. Which is good news because now I am not the bad guy.

But of course I got a new update. This crazy woman told my fence guy that she was going to take down her fence and dump it in our dumpster. We built a new fence inside the old fence. I told them if she does to let it go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recent violations have been:

your basket ball net is ripped.

Second one I placed a granite slap on the bottom of the basketball hoop so it wouldn't blow over - violation.

You have dandelions in the yard - probably had three total

I had a little two foot type pine tree that had Christmas lights on it and it froze into the ground. You couldn't even tell it wasn't an actual bush. I ended up breaking it off.

You have a wheelbower in your back yard. It's actually hidden behind the air conditioner. Next time the HOA comes on my property I'm going to shoot their ass.

And my neighbor down the street did have to replace his new roof because the asphalt shingles didn't comply - any chance you live in Colorado in my HOA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But of course I got a new update. This crazy woman told my fence guy that she was going to take down her fence and dump it in our dumpster. We built a new fence inside the old fence. I told them if she does to let it go.

I would guess you are going to have a string of such events if you don't stop it now. So she has threatened you landscaper, demanded to stay hooked up to your drainage and now is going to just throw her fence into your dumpster? Since you haven't moved in yet I can see being sensitive to the situation but this lady is taking advantage of you. I would at least tell your fence guy to tell her no unless you ok it.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

I would guess you are going to have a string of such events if you don't stop it now. So she has threatened you landscaper, demanded to stay hooked up to your drainage and now is going to just throw her fence into your dumpster? Since you haven't moved in yet I can see being sensitive to the situation but this lady is taking advantage of you. I would at least tell your fence guy to tell her no unless you ok it.

Agreed. This lady is going to think she owns you and your giving into her power-hungry ego. If you don't stand up now, its going to be a lot harder to stand up later on when she demands other things.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Agreed. This lady is going to think she owns you and your giving into her power-hungry ego. If you don't stand up now, its going to be a lot harder to stand up later on when she demands other things.

That or when he does it will be full blown nuclear. I'm guilty of not having spoken up right away and then absolutely blowing up later.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1: Find the address of the HOA president*.
Step 2: Take a shit on his/her lawn, or if your daring, the front porch.
Step 3: Repeat Stet 2 every week until caught.

*Include HOA board members as appropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of going Nuclear on the HOA [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I'm a big HOA fan as long as they are reasonable. If you had to rip off your roof for a slight color variation then you're dealing with some a-holes. I've been on our HOA board for 3 or 4 years and I'd recommend emailing the property manager and the other board members and tell them what she said. I would make the email polite and let them know that you're concerned. You may also want to attend any board meetings that involve your property so board members are hearing it from you rather than the opinion of your a-hole neighbor.

I can't fathom the HOA making you tear off the roof off unless the color was insane. Who ate the $15k loss?

I received a letter once from the HOA complaining that I had repainted our aging shutters from a very non-descript and conservative green to a very non-descript and conservative brown. The problem apparently was not that I had chosen an inappropriate color scheme, but rather that I had not sought and received approval for the scheme. I politely but forcefully told them to fuck off. Haven't heard from them since;
Quote Reply

Prev Next