Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ameo Powerbreather
Quote | Reply
So does anyone have any experience or reviews on this Ameo Powerbreather plastered all over slowtwitch?
Quote Reply
Re: Ameo Powerbreather [bilalm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me! And I wrote a review and have written about the device both on the reader forum and on the main site. If you use the forum search function you can search both.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. I'm not crazy about it. Honestly I prefer my Finis center mount snorkel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one based largely off of Dan's review of it. I have been very happy with it, but a caveat: I'm new to swimming/triathlon and this is the first snorkel I've owned, so I have nothing to compare it to. I use it for pulls, kick sets and/or warm downs for just about every workout.

I got the "Lap" edition. I do think the speedvents are worth it, and I haven't found myself needing the longer extensions that come with the "Wave" version. However, I have never used it on an OWS.

It did take me a couple of weeks to feel comfortable using it. Part of that is just because I'm a noob, but there is a breaking-in period needed for the breathing mechanism. After a few uses, it loosens up and the effort to inhale is much easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So does anyone have any experience or reviews on this Ameo Powerbreather plastered all over slowtwitch?

Dan's written some great reviews of the product and given it his endorsement - which is significant.

The Powerbreather really takes the basic swim snorkel and takes it too the next level. It's very well thought out!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. I used it today. The ability to flip turn with a snorkel is why I bought it.

That said, I am SLOWER with it than with out it. That is because I have a lopsided stroke with a long efficient glide when I breath and a short power catch and pull on my weak side. I want to be strong on both sides. So, I work on my balance.

I've swam my whole life including college and I kind of half ass swimming anymore. The power breather has been a fascinating love-hate relationship. I hate it for slowing me down when I'm using it. It screws up 30+ years of habit that has worked for me. I love it because I'm getting older and I don't feel as lopsided and I do think my stroke is overall improved. My neck is happier, my upper arms are happier and my traps are happier. And it is an interesting lung workout.

When I do a 500 with the power breather and then do a 500 without my strokes/length is less and my first 300 is faster. I just need to do it more.

Overall, a thumbs up but meaningful benefit is going to come from long term use. It ain't gonna change me in a month.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome product. I've been very happy with it. Used Finis front snorkel before, two different kinds. The Ameo powerbreather blows them out of the water. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Ameo Powerbreather [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my go-to symmetric snorkel. To be clear - and I think I'm clear in what I've written - I do not use this for fast swimming. I never time myself. It's for drills. I don't flip turn with it. It's almost the only time I don't flip turn. It's one model of symmetric snorkels and mostly what I've advocated isn't THIS device, but the use in general by triathletes of this kind of device.

Anybody who says he prefers a finis, fine. This is my snorkel but if a different one floats your boat also fine. If you don't want to use any also fine. But if you can't swim with banded ankles without fishtailing , and still discount snorkels, okay, but...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ameo Powerbreather [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
This is my go-to symmetric snorkel. To be clear - and I think I'm clear in what I've written - I do not use this for fast swimming. I never time myself. It's for drills. I don't flip turn with it. It's almost the only time I don't flip turn. It's one model of symmetric snorkels and mostly what I've advocated isn't THIS device, but the use in general by triathletes of this kind of device.

Anybody who says he prefers a finis, fine. This is my snorkel but if a different one floats your boat also fine. If you don't want to use any also fine. But if you can't swim with banded ankles without fishtailing , and still discount snorkels, okay, but...

Yes, but I want to go fast NOW. And ALWAYS!! Haha. It really is frustrating when you have an imperfect stroke and it smacks you in the face when you wear the power breather.

Why not flip turn with them? That's the best part! It has actually helped my flip turn be less tipped to the right. I used to start the roll mid flip. Those snorkels will cure that fast.

I have a finis snorkel too. Meh. Power breather is a drier experience.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim with the powerbreather snorkel a lot. While it took me a few tries to get the flipturn down on the powerbreather, I don't really do flip turns much... and now that its summer, I use it in lake swims and it's pretty amazing to just put my head down and go for so long. Of course, you still have to spot, but having a fresh air system over my finis is really great. In fact, this is a world of difference over my Finis snorkel. I got the new easy vents that just came out this spring and its much easier to breathe. They now have easy, medium and power if you are into the hypoxic breathing theory. I've played around with my old vents that are now considered medium, and the new easy... I just like to go far, and being out in the middle of a lake I figure I'll stick with the easy vents. With the double barrel, you can literally swim normally as well, turning your head either on error or just practicing and no water comes in, or if it does, it just drains out.

My only complaint is my mouth and throat get dry. Obviously that's a plus as there is no gurgling my saliva or water, and its fine in the pool when I have a water bottle at the end of my lane. In the lake, I have to open my mouth wide over the mouth piece to get water in and rinse, but... .well, its lake water.

I've been been able to swim in really choppy conditions even small ocean waves down in the gulf coast. I'm able to swim long distances doing freestyle, which is great as I normally would struggle with breathing and the waves. Again, just put your head down and go, any water that gets in, just drains out. I'm blown away how great my workouts are with this. I got mine on Amazon, some pretty solid reviews there, but I know you can get them direct from www.powerbreatherusa.com as well, where i got my easy vents.
Quote Reply