Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mass Data Transfer from Garmin Connect to Training Peaks
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to do a mass data migration from a client's Garmin Connect account into Training Peaks and am a bit stumped. Previously, I've used Tapiriik with good success, but it does not seem to want to link up to Garmin Connect. I can't find any way to move files that's not one at a time, which isn't feasible since we're talking about multiple years of data. Has anybody out there in ST Land cracked this nut? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Data Transfer from Garmin Connect to Training Peaks [Coach_Carey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope they are holding the data captive presumably in an attempt to keep people using their platform. Single transfer is the only way.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Data Transfer from Garmin Connect to Training Peaks [Coach_Carey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the Garmin device has a USB to the computer, any backups would have the FIT files in the activities folder. Those can be drag and dropped in bulk to TP. Even if it's only the last couple of months still on the device, it reduces the transfer time overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get my Garmin Connect data into Golden Cheetah I use Tapiriik to sync the Garmin files into Dropbox than I can download and import the files in bulk. I would think that would work with TrainingPeaks as well.

I will say though that it took me a while to get Tapirrik to get the first sync of about 6 months worth of data to finish up (like a couple weeks) but once it got going it has worked well since then.
Last edited by: STP: May 11, 17 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Data Transfer from Garmin Connect to Training Peaks [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that Garmin has blocked the AVI so that Tapiriik can't connect to Garmin Connect any more.

I will look into the .fit backup file route also mentioned, but I think my client has been using his phone to sync so I don't know if such files still hanging around.

DC Rainmaker had an article with Tapiriik and a couple others listed, but it looks like the other two are now non-functional. Hoping there's something out there that still works...

Patrick Carey
Speed Science Coaching
Ironman and USA Cycling Certified
http://www.speedscience.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just checked and my last Garmin activity from 2 days ago has auto synced to my Dropbox account. Maybe I am grandfathered in? I set this up sometime in January of this year and it did take many tries to get it to work. I synced tcx files. I had repeated problems trying to get this to work by clicking on the "Garmin" link in Tapirriik but as I recall, what eventually worked was clicking on the "Dropbox" link and going at it that way. It did take about a million tries as it kept telling me it wanted me to change my Garmin login password, etc. It was a pain but somehow (unfortunately I cant recall all the specifics now) it eventually started working. (At the same time I also set up TrainerRoad to sync with Dropbox and that took about 5 seconds).

When I did finally get it set up, I just had it sync everything (about 2 years worth) and it tool a loooong time, a couple weeks, to finish as it kept stopping and I had to restart the sync. But now it is working fine automatically.

Another option if you have your Garmin data synced with Strava you can do a bulk export from Strava in gxp format.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just used Tapirik for a massive Strava to TP transfer. You can transfer Connect to Strava still and the Strava to TP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try fitnesssyncer.com. Its officially supported by TP.com and connects to GC sports (for activities) and wellness (for health stats).

That last time I tried Tapirik, the issue was with TP, not Garmin....TP disabled their old API which is what Tapirik uses (used...dunno if he ever fixed it after I gave up). I've been using fitnesssyncer.com to sync GC wellness data (sleep, etc) with TP just fine. I have not tried to sync activites, because I've always had GC connected to TP for that....but it IS supported.
Quote Reply