Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ironman 70.3 superfrog 2017
Quote | Reply
so, just came across this event. part of the run course is along the beach, SEAL style. question is: does anyone happen to know if this section of beach is hard-packed or soft sand ? big difference. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman 70.3 superfrog 2017 [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe......it all depends on the tide, and how wet you mind your shoes.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe there is a video on YouTube from when Lance Armstrong did the race. You may be able to gather information about the conditions of the run course from that video.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the run course is the same from the pre-WTC days, you can run about 95% of the sand section in hard-packed sand pretty easily. There are a few unavoidable sections of loose sand where you get bogged down.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman 70.3 superfrog 2017 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like others have said there is some hard packed sand. Last year it was changed to 3 loops versus the previous years at 2 loops on the run.

With that said, roughly 1/3 of the course is ran on the sand. One half of that part of the sand running is on the deep soft sand.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman 70.3 superfrog 2017 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They changed the venue to Imperial Beach in 2016 --4 loop run with ( from what I can tell) a .4 mile plus .8 mile segment of sand running in each of 4 loops so total 4.8 miles in sand....
I need to know how much of that is going to be soft sand vs down by the water/hard sand? The posts about pre-2016 races aren't relevant...anyone out there do this event in 2016 and can shed light on this? Thanks so much.

Ironman Series Books: "Ironplanner" "Weight Management For Triathletes""Fearless Swimming For Triathletes""Functional Strength For Triathletes"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race last year.

More of the run is on soft sand versus hard packed sand. It is on Imperial Beach now, and is 4 loops. The majority of each loop is on soft, deep sand. There is a small portion where you actually run beside the ocean for the hard packed sand on each loop, but then they send you back to soft sand.

It is hands down one of the best, and toughest races I have ever done. If you want a great challenge, this is the race to do.

Last year the surf was crazy and over 50 people DNF'd. The waves were over 6 ft coming in, and you didn't get to break they surf just once, but 2 times!! It was so awesome!! Also, having been a long time triathlete, and swam in tough conditions, I appreciated the RD letting the swim happen regardless of the surf. So often they shy away from the swim when the conditions are not ideal for safety/risk reason. Completely understandable, but they didn't here! Plenty of water support.

Mandy
Quote Reply
Re: ironman 70.3 superfrog 2017 [Wilddaizy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wilddaizy wrote:

More of the run is on soft sand versus hard packed sand. It is on Imperial Beach now, and is 4 loops. The majority of each loop is on soft, deep sand. There is a small portion where you actually run beside the ocean for the hard packed sand on each loop, but then they send you back to soft sand.

It is hands down one of the best, and toughest races I have ever done. If you want a great challenge, this is the race to do.

Last year the surf was crazy and over 50 people DNF'd. The waves were over 6 ft coming in, and you didn't get to break they surf just once, but 2 times!! It was so awesome!! Also, having been a long time triathlete, and swam in tough conditions, I appreciated the RD letting the swim happen regardless of the surf. So often they shy away from the swim when the conditions are not ideal for safety/risk reason. Completely understandable, but they didn't here! Plenty of water support.

That is absolutely fantastic that they ran it despite the surf being large! I'm hard-pressed to think of any races at all that do that anymore. Nowadays it seems like if there's a 1-foot wind chop they cancel the swim.

Edited to add that the only thing keeping me signing up for it is that extra hundred seventy-five bucks they tack on makes it kind of obscene for a half distance race. It would otherwise be a very good option for me since I live in San Diego
Last edited by: davejustdave: Aug 25, 17 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race a few years back. It is all depending on the tide but you can stay on the hard packed part and just roll with the tide. I didn't really have issues.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: ironman 70.3 superfrog 2017 [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you by chance military or prior military? If so, then the race is less expensive.

Yes, it was awesome they did the swim!! I was such a happy triathlete!!

Mandy
Quote Reply
Re: ironman 70.3 superfrog 2017 [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was a few years ago, you probably could stay on hard packed sand. However, the with the new venue they force you off the packed sand to the soft sand regardless of tide.

Mandy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last years Xterra WC swim in Maui was very rough, the water patrol was busy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Wilddaizy wrote:

That is absolutely fantastic that they ran it despite the surf being large! I'm hard-pressed to think of any races at all that do that anymore. Nowadays it seems like if there's a 1-foot wind chop they cancel the swim.

Edited to add that the only thing keeping me signing up for it is that extra hundred seventy-five bucks they tack on makes it kind of obscene for a half distance race. It would otherwise be a very good option for me since I live in San Diego

Hello Chula vista challenge 70.3...
Quote Reply
Re: ironman 70.3 superfrog 2017 [Wilddaizy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that after you have run a couple miles down the beach because I remember running in off the beach and then there were a couple of sections that had sand. Maybe on that loop? I'm guessing that isn't there anymore.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply