Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bring wheel bags on plane
Quote | Reply
I borrowed a bike case that holds 2 bikes so I don't get hit for 2 bike boxes as checked bags. Problem is, I can't fit all 4 wheels in the bike box.

Can you carry on wheels? Has anyone done it? I really don't want to check my Zipps as I figure they will get damaged!

Please share......
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry my Zipp disc on flights all the time - I have never had a problem r even a question. It fits perfectly in most overhead lockers. I have NEVER had anybody question it - neither at security or by the airline crew.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [Chri G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri G wrote:
I carry my Zipp disc on flights all the time - I have never had a problem r even a question. It fits perfectly in most overhead lockers. I have NEVER had anybody question it - neither at security or by the airline crew.

What planes are you flying on? I've probably been on just about every iteration of Boeing or Airbus or Emrbraer (barring the newer megaliners) and I've yet to come across an overhead bin that is deep enough to fit a wheel. Maybe the 777 I took to Japan might have had the space but that's about it.

I flew with a wheel once back from IMAZ (I think) because I forgot my spare wheel/wheel bag back at my hotel room on race morning and couldn't get it to TriBike Transport for them to take it back. It came nowhere near fitting in an overhead and a flight attendant locked it up in the crew's upright locker near the front of the plane. They only did that because they were being nice.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tagging along as I'd like to know as well... have the Ruster Hen House and its wheel case.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the usual medium to large planes - none of the small propeller planes - Embraer etc though where it's hard to fit more than a briefcase into the lockers - but definitely lots of 737/747/767 and just recently an Airbus A380 to Australia via London and Hong Kong.

I do always take the tyre and tube off to minimize size as much as possible.

I had a very simple fabric zipped sleeve made for me - because most wheel bags are very bulky - cost me peanuts.

The wheel in its little bag then fits in every locker on every plane I have tried so far - be aware that often it needs to go in at a slight angle so you can shut the door - but it does always seem to fit, no probs at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'm trying it. I will report back after I fly tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What planes are you flying on? I've probably been on just about every iteration of Boeing or Airbus or Emrbraer (barring the newer megaliners) and I've yet to come across an overhead bin that is deep enough to fit a wheel.

I agree with you. I fly a modest amount, and I know of no over-head bin, that would take a standard 700c bike wheel in a wheel bag*

There seems to be a general sense of delusion among travelers regarding carry-ons, that has been aided and abetted, by lax standards by the airlines at check-in and at the gate.

I've noticed of-late that they are starting to clamp down on this, but they are doing this at the gate, with almost everyone having to now gate-check their luggage - which adds a whole new wrinkle, hassle and delay, in the boarding process and a repeat of this at the other end with everyone qued up in the gateway waiting for their bags. It's all a bit of a mess.

*Not me, but I have been on flights, where another fellow traveler who is carrying on a wheel bag, has nicely asked one of the flight attendants to store the wheel bag somewhere - which they do in the small area where 1st Class/Biz Class, can hang up a coat or suit jacket if they like right at the front of the plane.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 11, 17 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A two bike box will be over 50 pounds and might require a surcharge.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since someone brought up the subject of flying with a bike. I will be making the flight, via Southwest (bags fly for free!), in August to Boulder for the half. I will have my bike in a two piece Hen House. From what I understand, I may or may not get hit with that bike fee. Any one else have luck flying Southwest with a bike bag? Any recommendations for flying with a bike bag, tools to take, etc, etc. This is my first time flying with my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just flew with Southwest with my bike bag, according to their policy if it's under 50lbs and within the 62 linear inch dimension then you do not have to pay the bike fee. The same is true with JetBlue I think.

My packed bike bag was just a little north of 30lbs with my helmet, shoes, tools in it. Though I didn't bring a floor pump since I had access to one at my destination. I used the Orucase Ninja which I think is similar to the Hen House but frame and wheels are in the same bag - very similar to the Pika Packworks but much more compact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
Since someone brought up the subject of flying with a bike. I will be making the flight, via Southwest (bags fly for free!), in August to Boulder for the half. I will have my bike in a two piece Hen House. From what I understand, I may or may not get hit with that bike fee. Any one else have luck flying Southwest with a bike bag? Any recommendations for flying with a bike bag, tools to take, etc, etc. This is my first time flying with my bike.

As long as it fits into the dimensions of a normal suitcase, they will treat it as such and not charge. Hen houses are one of the few that actually fit into that restriction.

For the other cases, just print the bag label ahead of time (when you check in 24 hours pre-flight) and tape that sucker to the case so it would look like it is hard to remove. They will likely let it slide instead of making you take it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [aeroyoost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aeroyoost wrote:
I just flew with Southwest with my bike bag, according to their policy if it's under 50lbs and within the 62 linear inch dimension then you do not have to pay the bike fee. The same is true with JetBlue I think.

My packed bike bag was just a little north of 30lbs with my helmet, shoes, tools in it. Though I didn't bring a floor pump since I had access to one at my destination. I used the Orucase Ninja which I think is similar to the Hen House but frame and wheels are in the same bag - very similar to the Pika Packworks but much more compact.

Southwest told me that total dimensions, length + width + height can't be more than 62". Every bike box I found is bigger than that. Thus, I packed 2 bikes in the hen house case so I get hit 1 bike fee and not 2.

I'll see what happens tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [aeroyoost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aeroyoost wrote:

There is no such thing as a bike bag that is under 62 inches. I have an armored hen house and their magical method of measuring the bike is not how any rational person would think is an acceptable method. That being said, I have yet to be charged for it. Every time I have gone up to the counter they ask if it is a bike. I say, "it's a frame." They accept it without charging me but I think they know I'm getting away with something. But when you consider that golf bags, skis and almost any large suitcase also does not meet the 62 inch requirement, it seems only fair that they let me slide, right?

I do know people have have been charged for their hen house. My buddy believing the marketing hype of Ruster challenged the desk agent so they brought out a tape and it was not anywhere close.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike bag does. Orucase makes the bike bag for the frameset you give them. Mine is 52cm and I've measured the dimensions how you would regularly think to do it, and it's just under 62 linear inches. I think if you have a larger framesize it would probably be outside the 62 maximum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flight attendant here for a major US Carrier...there's some types of bins where you can fit a wheel very carefully...however, you'll be "that person" taking up the whole entire bin. Also, don't ask us to put it in the closet, the closets are for coats, our suitcases and handicap-assist type devices, so there isn't room (I would try, I know how expensive wheels are). Wheels are outside the dimensions of what is normally allowed on-board in the USA. Gate agents are consistently not caring about what people bring on board, but I'm surprised a flight attendant hasn't told you to gate-check that sucker. Personally, I would, as on most of our airplanes it wouldn't fit...just my $.02, YRMV.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southwest told me that total dimensions, length + width + height can't be more than 62".

Indeed - The whole 62 linear inch thing is moot, because none of the normal/standard, bike bags cases that require only the removal of the wheels, pedals, saddle/seat-post, and handle bars are less then that number.

There are some newer bags/cases now, that, if you take the front fork off, I sense may be less than the magic 62. But this will require more mechanical work on either end. Not a big deal if you know what you are doing - just saying.

We use the Aerus Biospeed bags. When packed up, I find they pack up reasonably small - but still not less than 62. I do sometimes get surprised looks at check-in when I'm upfront about it their being a bike in the bag - they say it seems too small. Based on that, from time to time, we do get a pass on the bike fee. We travel mostly with Air Canada or WestJet and their bike fee is $50 so reasonable. I don't mind paying it if I do get charged.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
A two bike box will be over 50 pounds and might require a surcharge.

I had two bikes in the box and it weighed 71 lbs total. I was charged $75. I'm ok with that given it was 2 bikes. I didn't want to bring 2 bikes in separate boxes and get hit $75 for each bike, hoping I may get away with a waived fee. According to the rules, any bike would be "oversized", regardless of weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
What planes are you flying on? I've probably been on just about every iteration of Boeing or Airbus or Emrbraer (barring the newer megaliners) and I've yet to come across an overhead bin that is deep enough to fit a wheel.

I agree with you. I fly a modest amount, and I know of no over-head bin, that would take a standard 700c bike wheel in a wheel bag*

There seems to be a general sense of delusion among travelers regarding carry-ons, that has been aided and abetted, by lax standards by the airlines at check-in and at the gate.

I've noticed of-late that they are starting to clamp down on this, but they are doing this at the gate, with almost everyone having to now gate-check their luggage - which adds a whole new wrinkle, hassle and delay, in the boarding process and a repeat of this at the other end with everyone qued up in the gateway waiting for their bags. It's all a bit of a mess.

*Not me, but I have been on flights, where another fellow traveler who is carrying on a wheel bag, has nicely asked one of the flight attendants to store the wheel bag somewhere - which they do in the small area where 1st Class/Biz Class, can hang up a coat or suit jacket if they like right at the front of the plane.

Just flew today. Not one person said anything to me when carrying on the wheels. Not a wheel, wheels. 2 wheel bags.

Guess what, both wheels fit in the overhead bin on the Boeing 737. No magic tricks, tires were on and aired up. Standard Campy wheel bags. Same size bags as my Bontrager wheel bags.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great!! Glad it is not just me who has managed this with no questions and no problems. Although I never tried to take onboard two wheels before!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they fit in the XRay machine at TSA?
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Did they fit in the XRay machine at TSA?

Good question! No they did not fit in the XRay Machine. I asked a TSA employee to inspect them. He opened the bags carefully and used a hand device to inspect. No issue. He zipped them up and gave them back to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring wheel bags on plane [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know its frustrating to pay to transport our bikes but I agree taking up the whole bin because you want to save money makes you that guy. I figure if I can afford to fly to a race I'm not going to be that guy. I just suck it up and tell them its a bike in the bag. Sometimes they don't charge me extra because I think they appreciate the honesty.

boobooaboo wrote:
Flight attendant here for a major US Carrier...there's some types of bins where you can fit a wheel very carefully...however, you'll be "that person" taking up the whole entire bin. Also, don't ask us to put it in the closet, the closets are for coats, our suitcases and handicap-assist type devices, so there isn't room (I would try, I know how expensive wheels are). Wheels are outside the dimensions of what is normally allowed on-board in the USA. Gate agents are consistently not caring about what people bring on board, but I'm surprised a flight attendant hasn't told you to gate-check that sucker. Personally, I would, as on most of our airplanes it wouldn't fit...just my $.02, YRMV.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I figured you were doomed with this attempt but glad it worked out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:

I mostly fly southwest or alaska when I'm with bike and the only times I've been able to skirt bike fees is when I flew with Pika Packworks bags and a bike (Felt DA) I could remove bars. The bag was so light I'd be sure to have it on my shoulder and when they ask what was in it I'd say sporting equipment. Mostly avoided fees, unless get a super inquisitive agent.

I have a Felt IA now so I have the Scicon TT bag. Fee every time but its simple to use and has held up well on the dozen or so flights so far.
Quote Reply