Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Legal Question: Lawyer to juror contact post trial and juror conduct.
Quote | Reply
I'll try to be brief and vague.
I was a juror on a civil case. The verdict was 9-3 for the defense. I was one of the 9. It is several weeks after the trial and now and I am being contacted by the defense. The plaintiff claims that there may have been some shenanigans in the jury room and is seeking a retrial.

The statements of the the three opposing jurors taken by the plaintif were emailed to me. I have been asked to provide a statement for the defense detailing the deliberation in the jury room.

1. Am I obligated to do this?
2. Am I setting myself up by engaging in discussions related to this or making a statement?

Thoughts?

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Reach high, think big, work hard, have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Legal Question: Lawyer to juror contact post trial and juror conduct. [Number2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Number2 wrote:
I was a juror on a civil case. The verdict was 9-3 for the defense. I was one of the 9. It is several weeks after the trial and now and I am being contacted by the defense. The plaintiff claims that there may have been some shenanigans in the jury room and is seeking a retrial.

The statements of the the three opposing jurors taken by the plaintif were emailed to me. I have been asked to provide a statement for the defense detailing the deliberation in the jury room.

2. Am I setting myself up by engaging in discussions related to this or making a statement?

Thoughts?

1. No, you are not.
2. Yes, you are.

You may be served with a subpoena and, if so, will be forced to appear and answer questions, at that time. But, as of right now, you have no obligation to provide anything to the plaintiff's counsel. If it were me, I wouldn't provide any information unless ordered to do so by a court of law.

NOTE: This should not be considered legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Legal Question: Lawyer to juror contact post trial and juror conduct. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Number2 wrote:

Thoughts?

1. No, you are not.
2. Yes, you are.

You may be served with a subpoena and, if so, will be forced to appear and answer questions, at that time. But, as of right now, you have no obligation to provide anything to the plaintiff's counsel. If it were me, I wouldn't provide any information unless ordered to do so by a court of law.

NOTE: This should not be considered legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Yep. Keep your trap shut until you're legally compelled to open it.

War is god
Quote Reply