Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano housings w/ Jagwire shift cables... to lube or not to lube?
Quote | Reply
I am upgrading my groupset on a bike with roughly 100 miles. I am going to go ahead replace the cables as well but keep the old housings due to everything is ran inside the frame. I have read a ton of comments and it seems like some people say add a coat of lube and some say otherwise. I'm just trying to get a general consensus and experiences explained from anyone who has dealt with this before. Thanks!
Last edited by: clh850: May 10, 17 3:28
Quote Reply
Re: Jagwire Shift cables... to lube or not to lube? [clh850] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally, no. But what Jagwire housing and what cable, specifically? There are multiple varieties of each, some with internal linings/teflon coatings and some with bare steel. You generally don't want to lube the ones manufactured with their own "lubrication."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't make any sense to replace new cables or to lubricate them.
Quote Reply
Re: Jagwire Shift cables... to lube or not to lube? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always thought they were pre-lubed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do whatever the manufacturer suggests for the product, they just might know it better than anybody else.
Quote Reply
Re: Jagwire Shift cables... to lube or not to lube? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Generally, no. But what Jagwire housing and what cable, specifically? There are multiple varieties of each, some with internal linings/teflon coatings and some with bare steel. You generally don't want to lube the ones manufactured with their own "lubrication."

I just looked at the housings and for some reason I thought they were Jagwire but the are actually shimano. The cables that I purchased are the Jagwire slick stainless. It looks like the shimano cables have a teflon coating.
Quote Reply
Re: Jagwire Shift cables... to lube or not to lube? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
It doesn't make any sense to replace new cables or to lubricate them.

I agree but in this case the cables have kinks in them where they mounted to the front and rear mech's. I have a feeling that if I pulling them through the housings, the housings will be damaged.
Quote Reply
Re: Jagwire Shift cables... to lube or not to lube? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Do whatever the manufacturer suggests for the product, they just might know it better than anybody else.

That's my thoughts as well but you know we just have to complicate things here :)
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano housings w/ Jagwire shift cables... to lube or not to lube? [clh850] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up. Jagwire makes awesome "Pro shift kits" but the housing is 5mm housing instead of 4mm. It was a royal pain in the ass trying to route that through my frame. They're really nice, and the best shifting I've ever had. Basically it includes an inner housing that's pre-lubed. It also contains little grommets to prevent any dirt from entering that inner housing. Is it worth it? I wouldn't do it again, go with the cheaper stuff.

I've always used a wet lube on my cables
Quote Reply