Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is swim for amateurs was wetsuit and due to current they just went straight down and cut out the upstream part.... I guess we will find out soon enough... but I would not think wetsuit vs. not wetsuit would make that much difference. I believe last year or the year before was pro non wetsuit and the times where about 3-5 minutes difference at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As we were waiting to start the swim I was under the impression that one of the first upstream turn buoys started floating away...but it's very possible they wanted to minimize the amount of time people were in the water due to the potential for lightning.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bamatriguy wrote:
My guess is swim for amateurs was wetsuit and due to current they just went straight down and cut out the upstream part.... I

Yeah that's what happened

The pro women struggled so hard to actually get up river, given all that rain, that they made the call to cut that whole piece for the amateurs. They relocated the turn buoy and just had us swim straight down river.

So it was not only short it was heavy flow as well
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Conradz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they post the slot allocation per age group at 4? I know the roll down process is then but I thought it could be found before hand.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M18-24 1; F18-24 1
M25-29 3; F25-29 2
M30-34 5; F30-34 3
M35-39 6; F35-39 5
M40-44 7; F40-44 5
M45-49 8; F45-49 5
M50-54 6; F50-54 3
M55-59 3; F55-59 2
M60-64 2; F60-64 1
M65-69 1; F65-69 1
M70-74 1; F70-74 1
M75-79 1
M80-84 1
M85-89 1

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
bamatriguy wrote:
My guess is swim for amateurs was wetsuit and due to current they just went straight down and cut out the upstream part.... I

The pro women struggled so hard to actually get up river, given all that rain, that they made the call to cut that whole piece for the amateurs. They relocated the turn buoy and just had us swim straight down river. So it was not only short it was heavy flow as well

Did this change result in a longer run to your bikes in T1???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim finish was in the same place. No change to that or anything after.

Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
bamatriguy wrote:

The pro women struggled so hard to actually get up river, given all that rain, that they made the call to cut that whole piece for the amateurs. They relocated the turn buoy and just had us swim straight down river.

What's the plan for 70.3 World's...WTC planning the same gig if slow pro women can't swim as fast as the current? This is problem with these river courses. You figure with an entire world of lakes and waterways to pick from, WTC could do better than having a championship where the swim is potentially conveyor belt aided?

Lake Placid would have been a much more fair venue!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 21, 17 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
Swim finish was in the same place. No change to that or anything after.

OK, thanks. I guess I would have had to have been there to see exactly how that worked. In any case, another Q: will Matt Russell be forever relegated to the apparent 4th overall place in the overall standings??? I can't think of any way to fairly adjust the pro times to reflect otherwise. Obv someone who looks carefully at the results will see that the pros had a longer swim but your casual observer may not notice that, which seems somewhat unfair to Russell and the other pros.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so now there are people bragging about their 70.3 "PR" from this race

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
another Q: will Matt Russell be forever relegated to the apparent 4th overall place in the overall standings??? I can't think of any way to fairly adjust the pro times to reflect otherwise. Obv someone who looks carefully at the results will see that the pros had a longer swim but your casual observer may not notice that, which seems somewhat unfair to Russell and the other pros.
Yeah, that's kind of sub-optimal. Not sure how that can be fixed on ironman.com. They're aware of the situation. I pulled the pro's out of the individual race into their own race on sportstats.us

https://www.sportstats.us/...s.xhtml?raceid=45613

Last edited by: sylvan: May 21, 17 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The upriver portion was cut for the age groupers due to the current being "too strong". I hardly noticed any current personally. Came down to probably just over 1000m for the age groupers.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
kileyay wrote:
bamatriguy wrote:

What's the plan for 70.3 World's...WTC planning the same gig if slow pro women can't swim as fast as the current? This is problem with these river courses. You figure with an entire world of lakes and waterways to pick from, WTC could do better than having a championship where the swim is potentially conveyor belt aided?

Lake Placid would have been a much more fair venue!

We usually don't have this much, or this heavy, of rain in the spring. It's been a wet one and this impacts what the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) does with the flow from the dam. The first year I did IM Choo, the flow for the swim was quite strong (I believe someone said it was 14,000 cfs). The next two years, it was noticeably decreased and nowhere near as strong (what I heard was a flow of 6,000-7,000). So, the RD does work with the TVA to reduce the flow and make it less of a conveyor belt but Mother Nature sort of threw a wrench in the plans for this one
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
The upriver portion was cut for the age groupers due to the current being "too strong". I hardly noticed any current personally. Came down to probably just over 1000m for the age groupers.

The time splits, even for the shortened swim, would indicate quite a decent current.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
another Q: will Matt Russell be forever relegated to the apparent 4th overall place in the overall standings??? I can't think of any way to fairly adjust the pro times to reflect otherwise. Obv someone who looks carefully at the results will see that the pros had a longer swim but your casual observer may not notice that, which seems somewhat unfair to Russell and the other pros.
Yeah, that's kind of sub-optimal. Not sure how that can be fixed on ironman.com. They're aware of the situation. I pulled the pro's out of the individual race into their own race on sportstats.us

https://www.sportstats.us/...s.xhtml?raceid=45613

I like your term "kind of sub-optimal". I noticed that you or someone put a note at the top of the results saying that the pros went 1.2 vs the AGers going 0.8 mi. I guess that is a decent fix. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a crap swimmer and I felt like a rocket powered torpedo in the water at 70.3 Choo today. I guess the current benefits the stronger swimmers less?

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply

Prev Next