Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 935 Features Input
Quote | Reply
I have been extremely impressed with the 935 (upgraded from the 910). The Garmin Connect App is fantastic, the 935 is super user friendly and I never needed the manual. The screen is super clear and with 4 fields it is very easy to read (some had concerns over this compared to the logical 4 field square layout of the 910/920 watches, but I think you would be impressed).

I have a couple of questions that some of you with the 935 might be able to answer, and also might help others decide if this watch is for them:

1. HR while swimming: Garmin support said "sure that works, I am doing it right here at my desk, sometimes forums have wrong information". Me in the pool: HR until I start swim, first stoke HR goes blank. Leads me to believe ST info was reliable and that yes, you need the swim HR strap to get HR data while swimming. Not a big deal for me, I can do without swim HR.

2. Recovery HR like the 910: Is there a setting for this? I do not get that currently. There is a recovery time before next workout, but I would rather have recovery HR. Not sure how recovery time is calculated, it seems rather complicated to automate especially for a multisport athlete.

3. Treadmill calibration: THIS IS THE BIG ONE FOR ME. I upgraded to get wrist HR (it works great for me), and to not have to deal with the foot pod. The built-in treadmill run distance in the 935 is ONLY CALIBRATED AUTOMATICALLY through your GPS enabled runs. It is not very accurate for me, but is it REPEATABLE, meaning if Garmin would allow me to manually change the calibration factor like on the 910 with the pod, I am convinced I could get good enough results that I would not need a pod. Garmin support confirmed that no, you cannot manually calibrate this. This is weird to me. Every outdoor run is different, some are hilly, some involve short walking breaks, some are on the beach, some are trail runs. I imagine the treadmill calibration will be different for all these different outdoor runs. Anybody know if you can somehow "trick" the 935 for treadmill calibration. I could run with a modified running style just once to get the distance right LOL - but can you then tell the 935 to not calibrate anymore?

4. When in multisport mode, you cannot take manual laps. You can have automatic laps (say 1 mile on run and 5 mile on bike for example), but you cannot take a lap of your favorite climb on the bike. This means I will likely not use multisport mode other than on race day. I do a lot of bike-run sessions, and it would have made sense to record those as multisport, but the lack of manual lap is a bummer. (The lap bottom turns into the transition / next sport bottom).

All these questions are really details. I LOVE the watch, wear it daily with ease and enjoy the phone notifications etc. Very cool watch in my opinion.
Last edited by: WhySwim: May 9, 17 16:22
Quote Reply
Re: Garimn 935 Features Input [WhySwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Garmin's own product page says the 935 only has heart rate while swimming while using the HRM-TRI or HRM-SWIM heart rate strap.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/564291#specs

3) The wrist based accelerometer is great for cadence and the like, horrible for distance. Read dcrainmaker's review and on forums. For me, in fact, the faster I run on the treadmill the slower the wrist based accelerometer says I go.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WhySwim wrote:
I have been extremely impressed with the 935 (upgraded from the 910). The Garmin Connect App is fantastic, the 935 is super user friendly and I never needed the manual. The screen is super clear and with 4 fields it is very easy to read (some had concerns over this compared to the logical 4 field square layout of the 910/920 watches, but I think you would be impressed).

I have a couple of questions that some of you with the 935 might be able to answer, and also might help others decide if this watch is for them:

1. HR while swimming: Garmin support said "sure that works, I am doing it right here at my desk, sometimes forums have wrong information". Me in the pool: HR until I start swim, first stoke HR goes blank. Leads me to believe ST info was reliable and that yes, you need the swim HR strap to get HR data while swimming. Not a big deal for me, I can do without swim HR.

I think the original DC rainmaker review had this listed, as well an update to allow the Fenix 5 to turn it on. I looked for the same thing the other day, but I believe Ray has since updated the review to say the wrist HRM is not available during swim.

WhySwim wrote:
3. Treadmill calibration: THIS IS THE BIG ONE FOR ME. I upgraded to get wrist HR (it works great for me), and to not have to deal with the foot pod. The built-in treadmill run distance in the 935 is ONLY CALIBRATED AUTOMATICALLY through your GPS enabled runs. It is not very accurate for me, but is it REPEATABLE, meaning if Garmin would allow me to manually change the calibration factor like on the 910 with the pod, I am convinced I could get good enough results that I would not need a pod. Garmin support confirmed that no, you cannot manually calibrate this. This is weird to me. Every outdoor run is different, some are hilly, some involve short walking breaks, some are on the beach, some are trail runs. I imagine the treadmill calibration will be different for all these different outdoor runs. Anybody know if you can somehow "trick" the 935 for treadmill calibration. I could run with a modified running style just once to get the distance right LOL - but can you then tell the 935 to not calibrate anymore?

Unless you're using your treadmill, whose to say the calibration of the treadmill is accurate?

WhySwim wrote:
4. When in multisport mode, you cannot take manual laps. You can have automatic laps (say 1 mile on run and 5 mile on bike for example), but you cannot take a lap of your favorite climb on the bike. This means I will likely not use multisport mode other than on race day. I do a lot of bike-run sessions, and it would have made sense to record those as multisport, but the lack of manual lap is a bummer. (The lap bottom turns into the transition / next sport bottom).

seems like this would require an added button...? I'm sure I'd screw it up anyways. I hardly get the multisport transitions right.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Last edited by: way2sloow: May 9, 17 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Garimn 935 Features Input [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
me, in fact, the faster I run on the treadmill the slower the wrist based accelerometer says I go.

Funny to hear this, for me it's the complete opposite. I thought mine was based on cadence. If I do any drills on the TM, it thinks I'm running 5min/miles

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WhySwim wrote:

This is quite funny. Exactly how was this "support" person demonstrating wrist HR *while swimming" at the same time he was AT HIS DESK?!? does he keep a 10 gallon fishtank at his desk so he can demo optical HR underwater while on support calls?

WhySwim wrote:

This sounds the same as the 920xt, which is what I have. Use the footpod--it works. With the 920 (and presumably the 935), you can easily change the wrist-based-pace by changing the amount of arm-swing. I found that my armswing mechanics is different on the treadmill than it is on the road...even flat-road. So, even after it was "calibrated" it was different...and my armswing didn't vary the same with pace on the treadmill as it does on real earth. However, the footpod calibrates well between my treadmill and outdoors between pace, RPE, and HR (at similar air temps). Note: my treadmill indicated speed is WAAAAY off. Seems to be calibrated to 3mph. At 7-8 mph its...well just wrong. But, the footpod, agrees with how fast I feel I'm running, and my HR based paces.

WhySwim wrote:

Also the same as the 920xt.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 9, 17 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Garimn 935 Features Input [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To address some comments:

I do use my own very high end and accurate treadmill, and with the foot pod I can get very good results (+/- 1%) for paces ranging from 7:30 pace to 5:00 pace. My wife has the Garmin 235 and the distance is VERY accurate for her for whatever reason. I guess I just do not understand why Garmin would not at least ALLOW a manual calibration. In fact, I do not get at all why you would have the treadmill distance feature if ONLY anchored automatically in a calibration from outdoor runs that can vary drastically in nature. My "%error" is repeatable on the mill, until I go do another outdoor run, then it is changed for the nature of that run. It is almost like Garmin like to sell foot pods :)

Laps in multi-sport mode: This could easily be done without an extra button, for example give the user the option to have the top right button be lap button while in multisport mode (I do not really see the need for a start/stop button while in the process of a multisport session), or by double click of one of the buttons like changing songs on an iPod.

But again, AWESOME watch overall. I have lived long enough to rarely expect perfection :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 735 so am familiar with a few of these.

1. Pretty sure you have to swim w/ the swim specific strap. HR is not displayed while swimming, simply stored. Seeing HR is only available once the workout is loaded to Connect.

2. My 735 alerts me when my recovery HR is reached. But I *think* only if I have stopped the activity and not saved it / etc. So stop -> get alert -> save -> done?

3. Agree 100%. Although I've done two treadmill runs lately, one pace was off by ~10 sec (not bad), the other was off by almost a minute (ugh). A calibration would be spectacular.

4. Never had any desire to do that one, sorry. Maybe the Strava segments could be used? I did set up a Brick activity (bike + transition + run) for a recent workout. Worked like a champ.

[pink]Maybe if you know your route you could set up a bike + bike + bike + bike + transition + run brick?[/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: treadmill, are you running on a home treadmill or different ones at the gym? I have he 735 and noticed that different treadmills gave me better and worse matching to what the Garmin says. I purposely didn't use the word accuracy there because there's really no way to know that the treadmill isn't off a little.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Garimn 935 Features Input [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:

1. Pretty sure you have to swim w/ the swim specific strap. HR is not displayed while swimming, simply stored. Seeing HR is only available once the workout is loaded to Connect.

2. My 735 alerts me when my recovery HR is reached. But I *think* only if I have stopped the activity and not saved it / etc. So stop -> get alert -> save -> done?

3. Agree 100%. Although I've done two treadmill runs lately, one pace was off by ~10 sec (not bad), the other was off by almost a minute (ugh). A calibration would be spectacular.

4. Never had any desire to do that one, sorry. Maybe the Strava segments could be used? I did set up a Brick activity (bike + transition + run) for a recent workout. Worked like a champ.

[pink]Maybe if you know your route you could set up a bike + bike + bike + bike + transition + run brick?[/pink]
LOL - I have a bike route that I do often with a nice 15min climb, and I like to take splits on this to track my progress. It is not a big deal, and we all know engineers are the worst customers :)
Quote Reply
Re: Garimn 935 Features Input [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
Re: treadmill, are you running on a home treadmill or different ones at the gym? I have he 735 and noticed that different treadmills gave me better and worse matching to what the Garmin says. I purposely didn't use the word accuracy there because there's really no way to know that the treadmill isn't off a little.

I have a Landis L7, highly recommended. I have checked the speed, it is dead on. I have extremely good correlation with HR and RPE between treadmill and outdoor runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WhySwim wrote:
wcb wrote:

LOL - I have a bike route that I do often with a nice 15min climb, and I like to take splits on this to track my progress. It is not a big deal, and we all know engineers are the worst customers :)

My request to Garmin would be an "unlap" feature. I use swim workouts a ton and love them. But inevitably I bump my lap button one two many times and advance it accidentally. I'd love to be able to roll it back one step in that case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to hijack the thread but had a question I was hoping others could answer. Has anyone noticed the altimeter becoming incorrect following a pool swim? After every swim I complete the altimeter is off by several thousand feet and requires re-calibration. Any idea why this is?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 Features Input [WhySwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhySwim wrote:

2. Recovery HR like the 910: Is there a setting for this? I do not get that currently. There is a recovery time before next workout, but I would rather have recovery HR. Not sure how recovery time is calculated, it seems rather complicated to automate especially for a multisport athlete.

THIS ONLY SHOWS UP AFTER 2 minutes once stopping an activity...you must wait for it before saving the file.

TO DO MORE THAN ONE SPORT: start in the desired sport use as normal hitting lap button etc. when you are ready to go to other sport such as bike to run...press the mode button, one with 3 dots back where it shows what sport your in and scroll to next desired sport, press enter. You can now use this mode as normal with laps etc. to end activities just press the normal end button. When the files are uploaded it will show up as the two files without transitions bc not multiaport mode.

All these questions are really details. I LOVE the watch, wear it daily with ease and enjoy the phone notifications etc. Very cool watch in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

With the 735 you can change activity without stopping the current workout by holding "up" key, it will automatically save the previous activity and create a new one, this will allow you to use laps.

"The Garmin 735XT also allows you to change activity type mid-way through an activity without having triathlon mode selected. Simply hold down the up or down arrow whilst in the activity and it will go straight to the activity menu where you can select the new sport. It still keeps track and tells you the total time of all your activities and the time of the current activity. Once uploaded, Garmin Connect will output it as one multisport activity, with the option of viewing both activities individually. Strava deals with it slightly differently and will upload the activities individually. Below is the Garmin connect output from a 20min indoor cycle/20 min treadmill run, with the run portion selected" from http://www.trijedi.com/...garmin-735xt-review/

I suppose the 935 has the same feature.
Last edited by: lsousa: May 11, 17 6:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also love the 935, but notice that the treadmill accuracy is worse than my old 225. I did not use foot pods or any other calibration mechanism for either. I recently ran ~7 miles on the treadmill and it was off by ~.75 miles. It would record noticeably slower during intervals, perhaps 1 min/mile and much faster on recovery.

I used multisport mode in St. George last weekend and it was flawless. If I had wanted to record laps, I would've done so on my 520. I ended up deleting the 520 file and keeping the full 935 file.

Does anyone pay attention to the calories burned function? It says I've burned 500-600 calories by the time I wake up at 5-6 AM. Seems a bit high.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 Features Input [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran 18 miles today and it said I burned 1250 calories. My old Fenix was the same way. I think the FirstBeat stuff for calories burned is horrific.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WhySwim wrote:

Is multisport mode meant for anything other than race day? I've also done multiple workouts per day, but I personally don't see any need to tag them together as one "multisport" activity. Just end the current activity and start a new one. What is the benefit of tagging them together?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
My request to Garmin would be an "unlap" feature. I use swim workouts a ton and love them. But inevitably I bump my lap button one two many times and advance it accidentally. I'd love to be able to roll it back one step in that case.

So much this.

I'd even ask they extend that to the "change activities" that the lap button does during multisport modes. About 50% of my triathlons I've raced with my 920XT have screwed up data due to either me being clumsy and hitting the button on accident or the lap button being kicked during the swim leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Garimn 935 Features Input [wdmann4205] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contact Garmin. I had similar issues with several past watches and they sent a replacement. The altimeter seems to go bad in some of them resulting in epic elevation gains. You shouldn't have to correct all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 Features Input [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
WhySwim wrote:

Is multisport mode meant for anything other than race day? I've also done multiple workouts per day, but I personally don't see any need to tag them together as one "multisport" activity. Just end the current activity and start a new one. What is the benefit of tagging them together?

I used it for the first time training recently. All to often if I have a bike / run brick my transition can take ~20 minutes if I'm not diligent. Go inside, grab a drink, kids get your attention, whatever. With the actual transition time ticking it kept me focused on the entirety of the workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 Features Input [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
garmin rolled version 5.30 this weekend.....it now offers treadmill calibration automatically after your first run, then you can manually choose it after every run.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 Features Input [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh that is what caused that auto alert. I had already walked away from the treadmill so I just guesstimated, will go back in and manually update after the next one.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 Features Input [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that manual TM calibration screen pop up a wk or so ago and i entered a value after that treadmill run. Today on the treadmill tho my watch was WAAAY off, telling me I was running 4:30/km when treadmill says it was 5:10/km. Before this "calibration" the watch would've put me 10-20 seconds slower than my TM's pace. Since that manual calibration after that second last treadmill run I've run outside several times so I presume the outside runs did not do an automatic and overwriting calibration after that manual one, and furthermore, I just scrolled through all the menus and can't find anywhere within them whereby I can manually re-do the treadmill calibration. Where in the menus can I access this so I can hopefully fix it? BTW, I just checked and the current firmware my 935 is running is 5.4. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

DISREGARD!! Found the info re the firmware and how to redo the calibration here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11495
Last edited by: Dr.AgeGrouper: Sep 10, 17 17:30
Quote Reply