Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody catch a severe cold after intense trainer rides?
Quote | Reply
I’ve finally realized that intense trainer rides suppress my immune system so much that I develop cold/bronchitis symptoms which last 2-3 weeks, putting me down enough to sufficiently destroy my training. Moderate/hard trainer rides are fine, but on a few occasions I can tell that my body is allowing me to overextend myself. It’s almost like pain and fatigue go away and I am able to push beyond what I normally could do.

I thought this was my body adapting to training stress...

But, it's these workouts that have gotten me sick. It happens about every 4-5 months. Minutes after the workout, I get congested, which is followed by coughing, then a full blown cold (sore throat, bad congestion, fatigue) which lasts several weeks. Once I feel better, I slowly ramp back into training. Months go by of feeling great and then a super-successful ride gets me sick again. Repeat.

I keep my antioxidant intake high, I get 7-8 hrs sleep, and my diet is pretty clean, but those strategies aren’t helping as it just happened yet again.

The only connections I can make are 1) this seems to happen when my weekly TSS goes above 250, and 2) during these workouts I breathe harder than normal, from the very bottom of my diaphragm. Maybe I’m breathing too hard? Is this possible? Or is it possible to push too hard on the bike? Does this happen to anyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody catch a severe cold after intense trainer rides? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Or is it possible to push too hard on the bike? Does this happen to anyone else?
Yeah I have gotten sick once in a while after an indoor FTP test on the trainer, but I always recovered after a good night sleep.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody catch a severe cold after intense trainer rides? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you doing this? In a nasty dusty cellar or something? Or massively humid jungle? Sounds environmental.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a look at Michael Gleeson's 'J Curve'. The fact that you've connected it to an increase in TSS could suggest your immune system is struggling. Maybe the really successful consistent training is stressing your immune system just enough and then this hard trainer session is pushing you over the edge.

Maybe try monitoring heartrate variability. I know a lot of people aren't fans of it but I've found it tracks tracks quite closely to how I perform training on that day.

Twitter: @SNFindlay | Athlete with Hartree Jets | Blog

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody catch a severe cold after intense trainer rides? [chilled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chilled wrote:
Where are you doing this? In a nasty dusty cellar or something? Or massively humid jungle? Sounds environmental.
My setup is in a pretty clean room on the ground level of my house. I typically have the window open and have 1-2 fans going. But I'm not ruling "environmental" out yet... Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody catch a severe cold after intense trainer rides? [SNFindlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SNFindlay wrote:
Have a look at Michael Gleeson's 'J Curve'. The fact that you've connected it to an increase in TSS could suggest your immune system is struggling. Maybe the really successful consistent training is stressing your immune system just enough and then this hard trainer session is pushing you over the edge.

Maybe try monitoring heartrate variability. I know a lot of people aren't fans of it but I've found it tracks tracks quite closely to how I perform training on that day.
Thanks, I'll definitely check that out! I track my HR on every ride and it is never anything out of the ordinary (usually 150's on mod hard rides and touches 165 on VO2 intervals). I used to do IM training and rarely did hard intervals (it was LSD almost all the time) and I never got sick. This sickness thing seems to have happened in the past couple of years as I've started really trying to push intervals on the bike (for shorter sprint/oly races).

I'll usually do 3 bike workouts a week (equaling about 4 hrs total). I use the Trainer Road workouts which slowly build from around 200 to 250 (weekly TSS). It's when these plans build up to having a couple of 80+ TSS rides, followed by a 110+ TSS ride that does me in (I do these 3 rides M-W-F). Again, I feel GREAT during during the longer 110+ ride so I hate the thought that I should ease off on these rides. But it's almost guaranteed at this point that if my weekly TSS goes too far over 250, chances are I'll be faced with 2 weeks of congestion, sore throat, headaches and coughing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the cold or bronchitis coming from though? You don't just develop them by going hard.

Could be mould spores or something, definitely not normal, I thrash myself on a trainer that's in a garage and don't get sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody catch a severe cold after intense trainer rides? [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Where is the cold or bronchitis coming from though? You don't just develop them by going hard.

Could be mould spores or something, definitely not normal, I thrash myself on a trainer that's in a garage and don't get sick.
The first symptoms (mostly congestion) start a couple of hours after the ride. This is normal for me. Often a hard ride will make me stuffy, but it usually goes away by the next day.

However, the other symptoms show up a few days later (cough and headache, followed by sore throat and increased congestion, never a fever though). I am assuming that no matter how careful I am at work, the grocery, the airport, etc. my weakened immune system is catching something that normally wouldn't take hold (if I hadn't compromised myself). This is the only rationale I can come up with. I've trained in this same room/house for going on 9 years now and until about 2 years ago, I rarely, if ever had a cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty simple if you think about it. If you have the ability to bury yourself in training to the point you get sick and miss weeks of training, just back off and don't bury yourself! Holding back and giving 80% on your hard days and staying healthy will get you in much better shape in the long run. Also, doing things in addition to what you've mentioned to keep your immune system strong is a good idea. Knowing what foods inflame you and staying away from them (for some alcohol, sugar, wheat, dairy etc), knowing your body's signs things aren't ready for a hard workout (slugishness, cold sores, slow to heal wounds) and knowing how to space the tough workouts and allow for maximum recovery will all allow you to tolerate more intense volume, but you have to earn it by learning these things.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody catch a severe cold after intense trainer rides? [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russ Brandt wrote:
It's pretty simple if you think about it. If you have the ability to bury yourself in training to the point you get sick and miss weeks of training, just back off and don't bury yourself! Holding back and giving 80% on your hard days and staying healthy will get you in much better shape in the long run. Also, doing things in addition to what you've mentioned to keep your immune system strong is a good idea. Knowing what foods inflame you and staying away from them (for some alcohol, sugar, wheat, dairy etc), knowing your body's signs things aren't ready for a hard workout (slugishness, cold sores, slow to heal wounds) and knowing how to space the tough workouts and allow for maximum recovery will all allow you to tolerate more intense volume, but you have to earn it by learning these things.
I hear ya! I thought I had a handle on it this last time: feeling good, well rested, clean diet. I'm just not sure how to increase my FTP by holding back. Perhaps the next strategy will be to not do any single workouts that pass 100 TSS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be suspicious of that room -- get it tested for mold.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody catch a severe cold after intense trainer rides? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or just try moving the setup to a different area/room for a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. There are sessions I can do on the erg that will 100% result in getting a low grade cold.

They're workouts that you can't do on the road. They tend to be 3 hours in length at .85IF with lots of zone 3. I think with an already suppressed immune system it just tips you over the edge.

Doing 2-3x that volume in an easy ride doesn't make me sick. Doing 2-3x less that volume in super hard rides doesn't make me sick. It's just 3 hours of hard zone 3 that does it.
Quote Reply