Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Moving On [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl and good luck. I probably wouldn't have considered a Trek if it wasn't for you answering my questions and the huge knowledge base you built in those two threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck and thank you for all your support! I remain a satisfied SC owner, thanks in large part to you.

Carl wrote:
As you might guess from the tone so far, my exit is on good terms. I prefer to keep it that way, so please understand there are questions I won’t answer. It’s nothing personal :-)

Can you say whether you're staying within the bike industry, or the sports industry in general? Just curious, and I completely understand if you don't want to answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were one of the reasons I decided to get my first Speed Concept. (that is, getting some critical sizing questions answered beforehand). And then getting another 4 years later.

Best wishes in your future endeavors!
Quote Reply
Re: Moving On [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Did you know that Carl was leaving Trek when you started the thread last week (about how you hope they realize what they have in Carl)?
Quote Reply
Re: Moving On [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had a sense of it. carl was going to join me at a road show in NJ and he was a late cancel. carl didn't know i was going to write that post, and i think he wishes i wouldn't have.

i've always felt that it would be nice to read your obituary before you die. and there's something else: i wanted trek to see what carl has meant to them in pure dollars, so that they can make an effort to replace carl with someone who has that same attention to knowledge and detail. otherwise, i fear for the speed concept because trek dealers are generalists. i don't blame them. just, they (as a group, with certain exceptions) don't know shit about that bike.

i also wanted every other brand to see that carl represents the living, breathing version of what i like to call the pathway to purchase. it's not enough to have the right product. you also have to have the right method to get that product form your warehouse to someone else's home. carl, both in husbanding on the methodology to choose a speed concept, and in his in-person help wrapped around the methodology, is the most obvious example of a pathway to purchase.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, umm, does this mean that there's a job opening up at Trek?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all your help with my Madone. I love it.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Moving On [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're very welcome.

Near term, no...later, perhaps.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Moving On [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers and you're very welcome.

taking some family time for now. I do not fear for the future.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all of your help with my speed concepts!! You are one of the reasons I'm a big trek fan.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Moving On [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
always

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Moving On [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i had a sense of it. carl was going to join me at a road show in NJ and he was a late cancel. carl didn't know i was going to write that post, and i think he wishes i wouldn't have.

i've always felt that it would be nice to read your obituary before you die. and there's something else: i wanted trek to see what carl has meant to them in pure dollars, so that they can make an effort to replace carl with someone who has that same attention to knowledge and detail. otherwise, i fear for the speed concept because trek dealers are generalists. i don't blame them. just, they (as a group, with certain exceptions) don't know shit about that bike.

i also wanted every other brand to see that carl represents the living, breathing version of what i like to call the pathway to purchase. it's not enough to have the right product. you also have to have the right method to get that product form your warehouse to someone else's home. carl, both in husbanding on the methodology to choose a speed concept, and in his in-person help wrapped around the methodology, is the most obvious example of a pathway to purchase.

Well said, Dan. Some organizations just don't value customer service. It will be interesting to see what the next person at Trek does. I could be wrong, but I don't think we've seen much from Zipp since Josh left, nor from Cervelo post Damon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck, and you will be missed here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for your prompt replies and help with my Speed Concept. Because of you, I plan for my next bike to also be a Speed Concept (if/when a new version is released).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, I've enjoyed getting to know you, working with you, and reading you over the years. Best of luck in your future and don't be a stranger. ;-)

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I want to thank you for your amazing support and help over the years with my Trek Speed Concept Gen1 and Gen2.
It was a fantastic experience and the Trekkies on this forum will miss you tremendously!

Cheers from Germany

Stefan
Quote Reply
Re: Moving On [Steve560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

You've been an amazing resource and thanks to you I spent about $15K over the years on my TTX, Speed Concept and then the Madone you "convinced" me to buy this year. I'm a huge trek supporter and mainly because of the personal support and advice you provided over the years. Best Wishes..... Beau
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No more test rides with Carl... I am bummed!

All the best and keep in touch!

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, wish you all the best. I will never forget the help you provided for my customer the screwedvover his aerobar on his sc the evening before leaving to kona. You made sure after me reaching out for help to get him a new aerobar being shipped the trek dealer in kona, built the bike and he was able to participate and finish his race.

You did an assume job here!!

Regards,

Jeroen
Tri-Run.com

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
Best of luck as you move on to your next adventure. Thank you for your input to all of the Trek owners here on ST. Although I don't have a Trek, I still appreciate the info and advice provided to us as a community.

Again, best of luck, and congratulations!

Clyde
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang it! I go away for two years to have foot surgery and this is what happens here?

Well Carl my friend. It's funny you post a picture of that table napkin with a message that means a lot to you. I too have a "message in a napkin" story. About 35 years I was having farewell drinks with my best friend who was leaving to study abroad. I felt happy and a bit jealous because clearly his voyage was for a new and exciting beginning while I was stagnant with my Job then (I have since moved on as well...)

So I wrote a message in a table napkin and I share this same message to you:

"I wish you all the success and a little big of failure to temper that success"

Good luck and do keep in touch.

Pax

(p.s. my friend still has that napkin and he says it is one of his most prized possessions...)

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply

Prev Next