windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Dog should be put down and possibly the owner too

The dog shouldn't be put down, but, rather, taken from the irresponsible owner. You can do what you want with the owner.

Dog essentially attacked unprovoked .... What if a 4 year old was running by?

What if it was a new born baby sprung from its mother's womb on the side of the trail?

And the dog attacked unprovoked? Put down the dog

The dog did what a poorly trained dog will do. Killing the dog serves no purpose other than punishing the dog for the owner's negligence.

Is it your position that no dog should ever be put down because they are dangerous or aggressive?

Pretty certain I never said that.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

If your friend had plenty of room to go around and came within inches, I'd say she bears some responsibility. The owner still bears the bulk of the responsibility, but she still had an opportunity to prevent it. But if she went around and the owner let the dog have enough slack to get her it is all on him.

No. People take priority over animals. Dog needs to move aside.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Incorrect. She gave the dog space. The owner failed to control his dog. Just like you also fail to control your dog.

It's 100% the owners fault.

If you can't control your dog, don't get a dog.

The owner should be punished somehow. But that's not what we do. The punishment for him is to kill his dog and let him get another dog. Yay.

WTF are you going on about?

Did you even read what I wrote? Your response bears no relation to it.

Looks like Zeus and Nemesis have someone to shred.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
j p o wrote:

If your friend had plenty of room to go around and came within inches, I'd say she bears some responsibility. The owner still bears the bulk of the responsibility, but she still had an opportunity to prevent it. But if she went around and the owner let the dog have enough slack to get her it is all on him.

Yes. If you run right next to a dog when you had the chance to give it more room, especially from behind, you bear some responsibility. People take priority but not with impunity. You still can't be dumb.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I read "another internet tough guy" and wasn't sure if you were referring to me in addition to OneGoodLeg or not. As you should know, being Canadian automatically disqualifies me from being described as "tough" in any fashion.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have more details. My wife was out with the attackee last night.

The hospital called animal control. They found out who the dog owner was and have quarantined the dog for 10 days. The dog will have to wear a muzzle when outside from now on.

The attackee has not yet decided whether she will file a police report yet.

Also the dog was trying to attack her face. She had her arm ripped up because it was up protecting her face.

She is now massively afraid of dogs.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is she reluctant to notify the police?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dog should be put down.
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
lunchbox wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yes. If you run right next to a dog when you had the chance to give it more room, especially from behind, you bear some responsibility. People take priority but not with impunity. You still can't be dumb.

Using infrastructure meant for people in the proscribed manner is expected behavior. If the dog nips at/bites people, it goes away.

I get that lots of people have pets and like them. That's great. They took on an additional thing to be responsible for, so keep it under control.

It's an animal. That's not license to be mean to it or mistreat it, but it's a lower creature.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
Grabbing the collar is a good way to get bit. Grab by the hind legs instead.

Grabbing by the tail also works well.
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim *updated* [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is another one of those situations where "Blame the victim" is not blaming the victim at all.

Should the dog have attacked, no. Should the runner have run farther away so she was not within reach, Yes. For reference see any rape discussion on this forum. In almost any situation the victim could have or in many cases should have taken steps to protect themselves. This does not justify the action of the attacker, in the this case a a dog, it simply is a teaching moment...when you're running up from behind an animal, give them a wide berth. I'd say the same thing for Badgers, Bears, tigers etc.

Should the dog and the owner be punished for their actions, yes. Should the victim do something different the next time they are faced with this scenario, yes.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how likely the owner is to actually follow the muzzle requirement.

A few weeks I was out for a run on the local path and a guy was out walking his dog headed at me face on. There is a leash law and signs s long the trail stating this. His dog was unleashed and sprinting all over the place. The dog goes zipping by me less than a foot from my legs. I stop and look at the guy waiting for him to call his dog back (which he doesn't). So I start to jog again and the dog again goes zipping by me just barely missing me as it ran back to the guy. This time I stop and yell out to the guy he need to leash his dog. I started running again and the dog comes zipping back towards me and takes out my legs and I go down hard. I got up and started cussing him out. I made it out ok with some minor cuts and bruises, but had I not been in my early 30s and fit I could've easily broken a bone. Thankfully most of the dog owners here are good and keep a short leash when runners or cyclists are coming at them. But it just takes one clueless owner to cause a needless injury or attack

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim *updated* [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No this was straight up the owner putting 100% of the blame on the victim.

Try reading it again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first got into this Triathlon thing I was living in Oshawa. Many times I'd be on a run and see some douche with his pitbul on the sidewalk and I'd have to change to the other side of the street coz i know the risk is too high. Isnt Whitby basically Oshawa but with less mullets and higher end drugs?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim *updated* [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
When I first got into this Triathlon thing I was living in Oshawa. Many times I'd be on a run and see some douche with his pitbul on the sidewalk and I'd have to change to the other side of the street coz i know the risk is too high. Isnt Whitby basically Oshawa but with less mullets and higher end drugs?

I don't understand why the "victim's" moose didn't protect her.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim *updated* [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
I don't understand why the "victim's" moose didn't protect her.

Silly 'Murican. When running Canadians bring a rabid beaver for self protection. Moose are employed for defense only while biking and occasionally while in swimming in Algonquin Park.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question for you:

Are there leash laws in effect where you live?

If so, YOU are the aggressor by letting your dog roam free to "mingle".

I have a situation at my current park where I'd like to walk my dog on a leash, but as a smaller dog she constantly gets charged by SUV dogs who's owners think the leash law does not apply to them .... my small dog feels threatened, and hence I can't use the park and fields...which sucks.

So tone it down a little, and if you'd jump my little dog you would look at charges I'd file (animal cruelty and other laws you feel entitled to disregard) so fast that your head would spin.

Victim shaming and all.

Also, I got bitten in the calf by a dog on a narrow trail once...had already passed owner and his two leashed dogs (Shiba Inu) when one of them just turned around and gave me one for the road....needed stitches as the fangs went right through.

I did not blame the dog, but asked the owner if his dogs had their shots and to pay for my bills..which he did.
I chalked it up as a learning experience to give dogs a wide berth when running....especially larger or inherently dangerous breeds.

And I never run around an unleashed = out of control, dog. Always slow to a walk.

Yes, a44hole dog owners suck.

BCtriguy1 wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Some dog owners are idiots.

I walk my dog every morning with a group of people at a nearby field. There was this one dog there, who wasn't part of the group, but who's owner always played fetch with nearby. The dogs always end up mingling. This guy's dog has attacked several of the dogs in our group. It's a small dog, so it never does any damage, but that's besides the point. The owner always insists it's just protecting his ball, or asserting dominance, etc.

The first time it went after my dog, I tried to let it go. My dog was a 5 month old pup and pretty invasive. The second time, I got to his dog first, pinned it on the ground by the neck, and told the owner if this happened again, I would break the dog's neck myself, without hesitation.

Even then he was trying to deflect any blame from his dog for being aggressive.

So, since the owner is an idiot you are going to snap the dog's neck? The dog was doing what dog's, without proper training, do. Punish the owner, not the dog.

If your dog ever does something wrong, I'm guessing you're okay with it being killed, if it happens more than twice of course.

That dog has now been the aggressor in 6 attacks on our group alone, 2 of which were on my dog. This isn't a once or twice type thing. We have suggested to the owner muzzling his dog, training it, or even just going elsewhere where there are no other dogs. He chose to do nothing. So, Yes, if the owner isn't willing to do something about it, I will.

Luckily, the threat worked, and he no longer goes to that Park. I truly hope he is doing what needs to be done to train or help his dog. Sooner or later, without intervention, that dog will attack the wrong dog or person, get reported, and be out down.
Last edited by: windschatten: May 14, 17 0:21
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim *updated* [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

Whitby is much nicer than Oshawa. Just a bunch of people who used to live in Toronto suburbs but can afford to live there any more.

Whitby didn't have the scuzz factor that Oshawa does.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No this was straight up the owner putting 100% of the blame on the victim.

Sure, and that makes him a wanker. My point is that it seems every time something like this comes up "Blaming the victim" means pointing out anything the victim could have done to prevent being a victim in the first place.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

That dog has now been the aggressor in 6 attacks on our group alone, 2 of which were on my dog. This isn't a once or twice type thing. We have suggested to the owner muzzling his dog, training it, or even just going elsewhere where there are no other dogs. He chose to do nothing. So, Yes, if the owner isn't willing to do something about it, I will.

Luckily, the threat worked, and he no longer goes to that Park. I truly hope he is doing what needs to be done to train or help his dog. Sooner or later, without intervention, that dog will attack the wrong dog or person, get reported, and be out down.

Got it, obviously I thought different. Can't say I would do the same but understand you position. The dog needs to be taken away from this guy because he's going to go somewhere else and the same thing will happen again.

Just thought I would update this story.

Around 6 months ago, the dog that attacked my dog was badly mauled by two Rhodesian ridgebacks and barely survived. I wasn't there, but, could completely see the dog going after one of the two and having them turn on it. Apparently, the owner of the ridgebacks footed a very expensive surgery bill for the dog.

Anyways, we hadn't seen them in a while while the dog was recovering, until the other day. The dog was back at the field with its owner (the wife this time, all other attacks had been with the husband involved). Sure enough, she comes up to say hi to some of the people I walk my dog with in the morning, and her dog promptly goes right after mine again. I had my 10 month old daughter in a carrier on my chest, so it was all I could do to put a hand around her to protect her, grab the attacking dog by the scruff and pin it at arm's length. It was still snarling as I held it down, until it's owner got a hold of it.

I was furious, and told the woman that enough was enough, and as soon as I get home, I'm reporting them to animal control. She was shocked, apologetic, and visibly shaken. Her husband hadn't told her anything about the multiple attacks on our group of dogs. She had no idea.

Today I heard from a neighbor who saw a non descript white van pull up to their house and witnessed what looked like a family saying goodbye to their dog. I hadn't made the call yet to animal control, so, I'm assuming she had a bit of a chat with her husband and took matters in to her own hands. At least one of them manned up.

I hate the fact that a family lost their dog, but, it was out of control and the husband refused to admit it or take any responsibility. A $10 muzzle could have prevented all of this.

I am fully expecting a confrontation from him in the coming days.

Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So bizarre. I love dogs, but you cannot keep a dangerous animal around.
Quote Reply
Re: Blaming the victim [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure. I gave them the benefit of the doubt a couple times, but, it became obvious that the husband was oblivious or unwilling to see reason and actions would have to be taken.

It was my first interaction with the wife, but, she passes by our house with their kids (and dog) on the way to school. I kind of feel like saying something to her next time I see her. I came on pretty aggressively and angry at the time of the incident, and you could tell she was totally taken off guard because she had no idea about the history between the dogs. I don't like losing my cool and would like to apologize for that, but, not sure how that would be received at this point.

Quote Reply

Prev Next