Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has anyone done Michigan Titanium? Tell me about it
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for my first duathlon event, Michigan Titanium in Grand Rapids, MI. Some friends and I are all doing the Olympic Du (25mi bike, 6.2 run)

What can you tell me about the event / course?

Route, road conditions, likely weather/wind, or any general details about the event.

Since this is both a Triathlon and Duathlon, how does the duathlon start? I saw on their website some pictures that made it seem like a TT start, but it's hard to tell.

Any information is much appreciated! This is my first duathlon and my "A race" this year.

-CBR
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done Michigan Titanium? Tell me about it [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about the specifics in terms of how they start the race, but there is a FB group and Lori Ott will probably answer any of your questions before you finish typing them.

As for the course... it's typical Michigan roads, so chip seal and some pot holes, but not terrible. Most of the chip seal was done in the last 1-3 years so it's had time to be compacted. There's one section of road near Murray Lake that has some nasty potholes on some rolling hills so watch out for that. I believe they shortened the run course and added loops last year. The feedback seems to be positive as, like most non IM events, it can get lonely on the course. There's not a lot of shade on the run course and it can get pretty hot and humid as it's late summer in MI.

Grand Rapids is a fantastic area to visit... lots to see and do. The organizers and volunteers at MiTi are great at what they do. I ride the course frequently in training so feel free to PM me if there's ever anything I can do to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done Michigan Titanium? Tell me about it [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a really good a race. I did the duathlon last year, and they just do a mass start for each duathlon wave (the full is first, the half is second and the olympic is third). It seemed odd to me, but there are a couple of hills right away, so the 30 or so in our group spread out real quickly.

On the olympic bike course, it's just rolling hills -- nothing crazy. The roads aren't closed, but there's only a small amount of traffic. The road conditions are good (or at least were last year).You do one loop of the run course, but since the full and half use that same loop, it's super well-supported.

Overall, it's a really nice race. I think I'm going to race it again this year.

The one tough thing is there isn't parking at the race site, so you need take a shuttle from a nearby lot. (Check your bike the night before.) OR, if you're lucky, have someone drop you off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the 70.3 last year.

The bike is described well above, chip, mostly smooth, rollers at best, there's a good climb on the full course but I don't know if you'll reach it or not before you turn around. There was also a rough section last year, hopefully that's gone this year (I'm going back). The course reminds me of LOU, you'll climb out of town, get rollers of all sizes, the descend back in, coming back to town is fun.

The run is closed roads. You'll go a quarter mile up the busy bumper to bumper strip then hang a left, then you'll out and back 2.75mi give or take each direction. Little sunny to start but soon you're shaded by trees. The run isn't hilly and the tables are well stocked with your typical race goodies.

+1 on checking your bike, they even handed out seat covers last year in the swag bags at the expo. The logistics are in place and provided for you, however just make sure you're where you need to be when you need to be there. Attend the pre race meeting at the expo, it was extremely thorough.

Recommend staying in Grand Rapids, we went to Founders Brewery after our race, that place kicks ass. And they are open late that Sunday.

It's unfortunate you're not doing the tri because the lake is fantastic, no gas boats allowed and crystal clear.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: May 9, 17 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished in 2014 as my first 70.3 and got pulled at mile 53 in 2015 for lightning. So I liked it well enough to do it two years in a row, anyway.

The bike is hilly-ish and roads aren't great, but rideable. I'm not a great cyclist and from flat southeast Michigan so the minimal hill training I could do was enough to finish the bike in good form. There is a bit of chip seal and the occasional loose gravel. The route was a LOT of farmland -- you will see (and smell) cows.

The run was also hilly-ish and if it's a sunny day you will not want to forget your sunscreen. It was hot in 2014 so a lot of homeowners left sprinklers and hoses outside for runners to use as they passed by. August in Michigan could mean literally anything, but probably hot and muggy.

Drop off your bike the day before and take the shuttle in from the strip mall parking lot the morning of. Also be advised that the race meeting is at a Y out of town, so you will need a car for the weekend. After the race, explore Grand Rapids' many fine brewing establishments. I personally think HopCat is overrated but I thoroughly enjoyed Grand Rapids Brewing Company, Brewery Vivant (order the duck and brie nachos) and VanderMill Cidery, north out of town. I went to Anna's House on Plainfield Ave., just down the road from the race site, both years I raced/tried to race there -- excellent coffee and corned beef hash.

It's a small race, and you may get lonely if you are used to huge races, but I was very pleased with how it was run. It's small enough that there are a lot of personal touches (free/included race photos, announcing your name when you cross the finish line) and it just makes for a really fun day.

ETA: Race reports from 2014 and 2015 if you are so inclined.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Midtown Miles: May 9, 17 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping an older post here, but this race is outstanding. This is IM-quality or better, for a fraction of the price.\
Lots of out-of-towners travel a significant distance for MiTi.
The people who run this race are very passionate about their races. I talk to Lori often and you can tell that running the best quality race is their focus.
I would without a doubt recommend MiTi or the GR Tri to anyone.
I am also rather confident that this race is fiercely independent, and I am not concerned that they will sell out to WTC anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done Michigan Titanium? Tell me about it [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that reminder and recommendation. WTC 70.3's are such a ripoff in the midwest. I didn't do the newly minted madison one last weekend though, but know enough of the roads that I'm not sure I would even though it's an hour away.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the 70.3 distance at MITI. The 2 hours (no exaggeration) I spent waiting in line to get my packet at Steelhead last year could be more comfortably spent driving an extra hour to Grand Rapids.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done Michigan Titanium? Tell me about it [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Thanks for that reminder and recommendation. WTC 70.3's are such a ripoff in the midwest. I didn't do the newly minted madison one last weekend though, but know enough of the roads that I'm not sure I would even though it's an hour away.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the 70.3 distance at MITI. The 2 hours (no exaggeration) I spent waiting in line to get my packet at Steelhead last year could be more comfortably spent driving an extra hour to Grand Rapids.

Go for it... I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you are familiar with what Michigan roads are like! I just did the half aquabike at the GR Tri and it's put on by the same people. They do an amazing job.
Quote Reply