Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim coach: East Mckinney, Texas area??
Quote | Reply
Subject really says it, all.

I'm looking for a swim coach in the east McKinney / Allen / Plano, Texas area for some one-on-one instruction.

Thanks.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 9, 17 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Swim coach: East Mckinney, Texas area?? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shameful bump of my own thread. Still looking for a coach....

I thought I had a lead on one but, it didn't work out. He went radio silent when trying to sync schedules. No idea why.

Background: 95% self taught, AOS swimmer. Used TI November through Feb. Didn't see much progress in Jan/Feb. TI never did more than 50 yards of swimming---felt like that was limiting further "progress". So, started searching for a local coach and I switched to using some of the guppy workouts. But I find more than 200scy continuous onerous. Since many of the Guppy workouts include 400y swims (ladders, Nx400, etc), I've been slowing working on trying to extend that comfort zone, so that I can do these Guppy Mainsets with longer intervals. 4x300y, on a 2:00 base, still leaves me breathless. At the same time I've been sorta mixing and matching the guppy drills...mostly PB and 1-arm.

This has gone on longer than I planned. I was only really dabbling in the guppy workouts while I worked out an arrangement with a local coach, and would then follow his/her advice. Now that has fallen through, I'm left to my own devices while restarting the search.

Pace has been slowly improving. I started 6x150y at 1:55 / 100scy on a 2:25 leave. Now I can do 8x150scy @ 1:43 / 100scy on a 2:00 leave. Sometimes I have to insert an extra 10s rest somewhere between reps 4 and 6. FWIW, my spl on these is 22. I'm slower with a PB than without (+3 / 50) when swimming 50s (@1:30/100 pace). Sometimes I will alternate the 8x150 PB/swim...and it is hard to see a difference at that pace.

When I get fatigued I can feel my catch go-away, especially on my left arm. I can also see it if I watch the pull. I just can't get the elbow to stay high, so I end up with a stroke that looks more like a doggie paddle. This is when I typically will insert the extra rest. I don't see the same thing happen on the right side---and the fatigue sensations are different between the left/right. My right arm is actually more tired after the swim than my left (biceps, and internal rotators---presumably from the better catch?).
Quote Reply