Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim speed difference among wetsuits.
Quote | Reply
I'm sitting here thinking that a pair of bike wheels saving me 0.5 min in a 70.3 race is a very good investment.
But what about wetsuits? How big is there difference? Any reliable testing done?

1s/100 m would be A LOT!

For the moment I use a 3 year old Orca 3.8 that I'm happy with.
Never tried anything else...
Do they get old?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Swim speed difference among wetsuits. [johan123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference with wetsuits is that the biggest factor is fit. If Orcas fit you well chances are some other brands won't and a baggy wetsuit is a sure fire way to lose time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an old wetsuit and tested a new one (which had indeed more shoulder flexibility) against it in the pool.

Modus: 8* 200 with alternately the old an the new one.
Results: no significant difference.

I kept my old one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There can be differences.
This was at the time the most comprehensive head to head to head wet suit comparison: http://accelerate3.com/wetsuit-test-results/

I did a second round that never got published between Orca 3.8, Zoot Prophet & Tyr Cat something (lower tier #38 rubber suit) Considering the Zoot and Orca were the same suit at the time there was no difference between them and thte TYR was :01 slower per 300 yd repeat.

TLDR: Yes there can be differences. You'll have to swim the suits against each other to find out which is faster

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam with an old Blue Seventy Reaction for years, and consistently went :27-:29 for halves, :55 at full.
After I broke my shoulder, my Reaction was not forgiving enough. I ponied up for the Roka Maverick X, and now swim 26:30 in halves, :54 in the full IM. Not much time difference, but much less effort.

FWIW.

Rick

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that results will vary from person to person in each suit, and this is why trying the suit on is such an important step. Going a step further and make sure that the suit is on correctly is also something that can help to activate the tech in the suits.

Just like a bike can be fast by itself, once you put the rider on it, position starts to matter, the swimmer matters a lot in this case. The benefits for a swimmer with bad body position will benefit greatly from the buoyancy, whereas a strong swimmer with good mechanics may not see the same benefit.

I'm not suggesting that the results of testing like wind tunnels would be bad, but it will likely not provide an accurate result for every swimmer.

Wetsuits will wear out over time as the neoprene will start to lose its elasticity.

Just my two cents.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply