Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me to decide which Ironman in North America
Quote | Reply
Last year I registered for IM Arizona 2017 using a priority entry list
Unfortunately, due to a bike crash, this season I can use only the road bike with small aero bars (Profile T2+) and trying to minimize the aero penalty for the moment.

I was thinking that for me it would be better to switch to a more hilly Ironman due to the situation.

I don't see many options but what about IM Louisville? It seems hilly on the elevation chart. Is it worth the switch overall as event?
what else? Lake Placid is sold out...

I know IM Arizona is an amazing event and I ask you if you would switch to a more hilly (which one) or just stay on IM Arizona.

coming from Europe, never done any IM in North America.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me to decide which Ironman in North America [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Canada has some hills...
Quote Reply
Re: Help me to decide which Ironman in North America [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
IM Canada has some hills...

^ This

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Help me to decide which Ironman in North America [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mont Tremblant is a beautiful venue, and hilly.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me to decide which Ironman in North America [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

+1 Tremblant.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me to decide which Ironman in North America [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:

+1 Tremblant.

+2, though I haven't been there yet so take my opinion for what it's worth. I was supposed to take this year off until I learned that a group of friends were headed to MT this year. It's a bucket list race for me so I reserved the condo before I even finished my first last year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider doing IM Wales. The money you lose on the IM entry will be offset by the money you save on the plane ticket. It would be the least aero penalty given lots of shorter steep hills.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Help me to decide which Ironman in North America [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Consider doing IM Wales. The money you lose on the IM entry will be offset by the money you save on the plane ticket. It would be the least aero penalty given lots of shorter steep hills.

fully agree and I considered it until they told me you need to be very skilled on downhills because they are scary and technical and if you are too careful, you would not compensate the uphill loss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louisville is not that hilly. You might want to consider coeur D'alene
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Whistler. Easy acces, great host venue and a stunning course from start to finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Chattanooga has about 4400+ ft elevation, a good candidate I'd say!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canada - Whistler. You won't regret it. Rumour is that it might be final year of 140.6 there.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: May 9, 17 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
len wrote:

fully agree and I considered it until they told me you need to be very skilled on downhills because they are scary and technical and if you are too careful, you would not compensate the uphill loss

It's really not so bad, especially on a road bike. You can ease off a little on the descents and there's nothing too technical that you have to ease of to very slow speeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me to decide which Ironman in North America [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
IM Chattanooga has about 4400+ ft elevation, a good candidate I'd say!

Have you done IM Chattanooga? I did the half and there was only 1 significant climb and the rest were rollers. I don't how much of the half bike course is included in the full distance. From the elevation maps it looks like there are 2 steep peaks but miles 10-20 seem to have a long gradual climb. It's always hard to get a feel for it on the map.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Wisconsin. 'Nuff said.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend Coeur D'alene

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
len wrote:

The penalty for not being aero gets higher as speeds go up. So on the long straight downhills esp not too steep other guys will be bombing down in aero and you will lose alot of time. Besides are you trying to Kona qualify? If you want something brag worthy you can just say you did Wales and they will reply, "I heard that one was tough" Then you can proceed to detail how tough it was. You don't even have to mention your time. But if you are set on coming to NA I would do Tremblant which is nice because I think alot of the roads are closed to cars during race which is always a bonus. East coast means less times zones to adjust too.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who values destination races I will offer you a different opinion than the others. Since your aero position is already compromised, and I assume you are not in contention for a Kona slot, then instead of picking a race most suitable for a roadbike with short bars why aren't you making your decision based on the venue you would most like to see and enjoy? I've done both IMAZ and IMLOU and think Louisville is superior between those two, especially the downtown finish. Of course, that's just my opinion and others will probably say the opposite. Only your opinion matters here; go visit and race the venue you would most like to experience and don't worry about what would work best with your bike. All the best!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me to decide which Ironman in North America [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
As someone who values destination races I will offer you a different opinion than the others. Since your aero position is already compromised, and I assume you are not in contention for a Kona slot, then instead of picking a race most suitable for a roadbike with short bars why aren't you making your decision based on the venue you would most like to see and enjoy? I've done both IMAZ and IMLOU and think Louisville is superior between those two, especially the downtown finish. Of course, that's just my opinion and others will probably say the opposite. Only your opinion matters here; go visit and race the venue you would most like to experience and don't worry about what would work best with your bike. All the best!!

This is a great answer.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply