Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on Vasa vs SwimFast
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about getting a swim ergometer as kids school schedules will make it very hard for me to hit the pool outside of school vacation weeks/summer for the foreseeable future. The Vasa has been the gold standard for a long time, but the newer SwimFast seems to identify the biggest shortcoming, namely body roll.

https://vasatrainer.com/product/spacesavererg/

http://www.kayakpro.com/swimfast/

Both are in the same ball park price-wise. I haven't really read of anyone actually using the SwimFast, so if anyone has one I'd love to hear from you.

So, thoughts on these?

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Vasa vs SwimFast [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Vasa which I've used to cut my swimming from six sessions per week to three sessions per week with no detriment to my race times. When I got mine the SwimFast had just come out. I sort of had buyer's remorse until I realized a high-elbow recovery isn't really possible for long sessions on one of these machines. You recover with a low, relaxed arm and then "pop" your elbow up into the catch when you initiate your stroke. With that in mind I'm not 100% sure the rotation of the SwimFast is a good thing (but it could be).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Vasa (which is great).

The swimfast looks more adjustable. But to be honest I've never felt like body roll or adjustability has been an issue on the Vasa. If you can, it's probably worth seeing if you can try one out. I couldn't see any place on the website where you can test it or try it. The main purpose of the Vasa for me is to build swim specific strength, which it does well. I have never used the swimfast but it does look like a good tool.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris

Thanks for being interested in a Vasa SwimErg. There are many differences and one of the main advantages of a Vasa SwimErg is that it can also be used like a Vasa Trainer when it is equipped with the Trainer Strap system. It's like 2 machines in 1.
Also, coach Karlyn Pipes offers an excellent explanation about rotation and how it is often misunderstood. Here a like to view her video on that topic.
https://vasatrainer.com/blog/better-freestyle-body-rotation-2/

This blog post is useful too:
https://vasatrainer.com/blog/ironman-triathlon-swim-training-doctor-receives-remote-coaching/

Feel free to contact us at Vasa with all your questions: info@vasatrainer.com or call 802-872-7101

Thanks in advance
Rob Sleamaker

Last edited by: Rob Sleamaker: Nov 14, 17 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving this old thread - did you make your decision on which to get? I'm now in the same boat in deciding between the Vasa and the SwimFast.

I've found virtually nothing in terms of reviews for the SwimFast, even though it looks like they've been on sale since 2014 (there are a few articles about them, but no reviews that I could find). The SwimFast looks great based on the manufacturers videos and description, but I'm wary of getting one without some real reviews. I'm leaning towards the Vasa as a safe route just because it seems like a better known product with a track record I can follow.

If you found any additional information you'd like to pass along, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Vasa vs SwimFast [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Vasa. I ended up finding a used one on Craigslist in CA (I’m in MA) and they were nice enough to ship it to me. I used the bike shipping company (can’t remember name, I’ve seen it here, basically fedex) and it was about $100 shopped across the country. I only had them ship the main part as I’m using a bench with it.

It is very helpful with form and is a great workout. The unit will last approximately 500 years it is made so well. Let me know if there’s other questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris,

Could you try to remember the name of the company that shipped it? I'm talking with someone right now about shipping and $100 sounds great.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Vasa vs SwimFast [ChandlerMyles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike Flights

https://www.bikeflights.com/ship

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangersBouncy wrote:
Reviving this old thread - did you make your decision on which to get? I'm now in the same boat in deciding between the Vasa and the SwimFast.

I've found virtually nothing in terms of reviews for the SwimFast, even though it looks like they've been on sale since 2014 (there are a few articles about them, but no reviews that I could find). The SwimFast looks great based on the manufacturers videos and description, but I'm wary of getting one without some real reviews. I'm leaning towards the Vasa as a safe route just because it seems like a better known product with a track record I can follow.

If you found any additional information you'd like to pass along, I'd greatly appreciate it.

What did you end up going with? I'm in same predicament trying to choose..
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Vasa vs SwimFast [gunna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What did you end up going with? I'm in same predicament trying to choose..[/quote]

I got the Vasa, and it has been fantastic. I mostly didn't get the SwimFast because of the lack of reviews and information.

I've been very pleased with the Vasa, and even did a Vasa only training for IMTX:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y_P6929917/#p6929917
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangersBouncy wrote:

What did you end up going with? I'm in same predicament trying to choose..

I got the Vasa, and it has been fantastic. I mostly didn't get the SwimFast because of the lack of reviews and information.

I've been very pleased with the Vasa, and even did a Vasa only training for IMTX:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y_P6929917/#p6929917[/quote]
Thanks for the response, very interesting!!

I ended up going with a ski erg. The Vasa and SwimFast are just too expensive and the ski erg seems essentially the same so will give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Ski erg?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Vasa vs SwimFast [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Concept 2, so far I really like it and am happy with the decision.

Next step is wondering if its worth making a Halo type template like this...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply