Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me upgrade this bike
Quote | Reply
I need some help with making sure I have the correct parts before I tear into this bike for my girlfriend (that currently has a 2x9 hodgepodge setup). I am a fairly novice bike mechanic but I want to tear this apart and teach myself how to do stuff, and eventually when I screw it up I have some friends that will help me with all the final tuning.

Currently I have an ultegra 6700 crank and the front/ rear derailleur from a 2x10 bike that I upgraded to 11 speed. Since it was used for a TT bike I don't have the shifters/ brakes. My plan was to grab either some 105 or ultegra road shifters to use and finish it off with a new chain and cassette.

Would I run into trouble trying to use a 5703 triple front shifter on a double crank? Or can that even work? I have heard both ways from different people now.

Adapting the BB will be my next challenge, currently it has this (BC1.37 x 68) and I want to make it work with a BB30 ultegra crank that I have:

Quote Reply
Re: Help me upgrade this bike [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5700 or 6700 shifters will work equally well with a 10-speed 5700 FD/RD/Crankset setup.

That BB looks like a standard English threaded BB. So, you just need a normal Shimano English threaded 6700 or 6800 BB. They are only about $15 USD for the 6800, so that is what I would get. (Your crankset is Shimano's 24mm Hollowtech; it is not BB30.)

I have not used a 5700 triple shifter, but the 6800 shifter is kind of designed for a double with its ability for trimming. So, I would suspect that a triple front shifter might not work well with a double chainring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano doesn't make any BB30 cranksets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would watch some GCN videos. They do a good job to help you out with a number of things.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUdAMlZtaV1333Cy1QnIZwqDXj1q0Ooyy

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bottom bracket is an old Shimano Octalink. What you need to do first is remove it. I don't know if you plan on doing this yourself or having someone else, but you need a special tool. Also, these can be a real pain to get off the way the tool works, especially if that bottom bracket has been in there for awhile. I hated these things. If you don't have a lot of experience, it might hurt having a shop remove it for $10. I think you could install the new bottom bracket fairly easily, but you have to be careful when threading them in (make sure to use a decent amount of grease or antiseize).

The above poster is correct. Shimano does not make BB30 cranks. The Ultegra crank you have has a 24mm spindle, not 30mm. You need tp get what are called Shimano outboard bottom brackets for about $30-$40 (if not cheaper). These also require a special tool to install, but are pretty easy.

A good resource for you on the bottom brackets would be the Park Tool repair help. It explains the different types of bottom brackets and shows how they are removed/installed.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help?query=&sort=postDate+desc&area%5B%5D=47

Good luck!
-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Last edited by: allenpg: May 8, 17 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: Help me upgrade this bike [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On old bottom brackets like that, I just hit the tool with a hammer to break them loose.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me upgrade this bike [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
That bottom bracket is an old Shimano Octalink. What you need to do first is remove it. I don't know if you plan on doing this yourself or having someone else, but you need a special tool. Also, these can be a real pain to get off the way the tool works, especially if that bottom bracket has been in there for awhile. I hated these things. If you don't have a lot of experience, it might hurt having a shop remove it for $10. I think you could install the new bottom bracket fairly easily, but you have to be careful when threading them in (make sure to use a decent amount of grease or antiseize).

The above poster is correct. Shimano does not make BB30 cranks. The Ultegra crank you have has a 24mm spindle, not 30mm. You need tp get what are called Shimano outboard bottom brackets for about $30-$40 (if not cheaper). These also require a special tool to install, but are pretty easy.

A good resource for you on the bottom brackets would be the Park Tool repair help. It explains the different types of bottom brackets and shows how they are removed/installed.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help?query=&sort=postDate+desc&area%5B%5D=47

Good luck!
-Pete

Awesome thank you, I will probably have a shop remove it so I don't need to grab a tool I will never use again.

It looks like I could spin it loose with a hammer and a flat head screw driver but I would rather not totally screw it up in case that doesn't work.

I've been watching a ton of GCN videos to learn about everything else I need to do. Thanks for all the replies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A hammer and a screwdriver would work.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me upgrade this bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
A hammer and a screwdriver would work.

I have a feeling you might have also owned a Jeep at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The above posts are spot on.

As a similar recent noob to all bike wrenching myself that recently upgraded my entry-level road bike (7 years old) from the GXP Square taper bottom bracket (not the octalink you have, but also an older-gen type) to the outboard Shimano BB, I will say it's not a hard process at all once you have the right parts, and is weirdly satisfying for how easy it is. (Literally, screw in the new bottom bracket, and you're done!)

The hardest part no doubt about the BB swap is not getting confused when you go online and see how many BBs are out there, and then trying to figure out which you need, which one is compatible with your frame (it's not as complicated as they make it out to be), and what tools you need to extract the old one and put in the new one. It's easy to throw up the hands in frustration when in reality, it's super straightforward, and odds are very small that you have a weirdo BB that only the LBS can deal with.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me upgrade this bike [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only weird bottom bracket that I know of is the Magic Motorcycle, and I have two of their bottom bracket tools.
Quote Reply