Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding in Berlin, Germany
Quote | Reply
I am Going to Berlin for 10 days in mid June for business. I will most likely be staying in the Kopenick area. I found what looks to be some good rides on Strava but I am hoping someone here has some first hand experience as to some good routes. Looking at the Kopenick area to the S and E of Berlin.

Over to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Berlin, Germany [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can start here:

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/

Type in Berlin, Germany and you will get some hits.

Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Berlin, Germany [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am asking for first hand knowledge.

First, I am very well-travelled with my bike having cycled in over 20 countries. I already did this type of online search for routes on Strava. These sites are generally ok but they don't note the conditions of the roads, amount of traffic, shoulder etc. I recently returned from Guadeloupe after I had relied on these and the riding was not what I expected at all. So a combination of local knowledge, first hand experience and activity searches work best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Berlin but I haven't ridden a bike there. But looking at the map you should definitely check out the "Tempelhofer Feld" which is the old airlift airport that's open to the public nowadays. You can ride a circular route or do sprints along the runway. good fun.

Apart from that I think if you head out of Köpenick to the southeast that there should be some good riding - it's not called "Müggelspree-Löcknitzer Wald- und Seengebiet" (Forest and Lake District) for no reason :)

Cheers and enjoy your time. And don't forget to explore Berlin, there is a ton to see and 10 days of after-work free time won't nearly be enough!
Last edited by: mikebo: May 8, 17 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Berlin, Germany [mikebo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike - great info thanks! I am going to be one very busy guy while in Berline this is for sure. I do plan on visiting many of the fantastic historical sites, as much as I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Riding to the south and south east are really good. Just be careful of the aggressive German Drivers. The roads are generally quite early in the morning on weekends and evenings during the week. Pack a rear light just to be sure you're seen. The laws also state you are allowed to use the road if you're bike weighs less than 11kg, even if a bike path is available. As then you're normally travelling too fast for it to be suitable for bike paths. Just in case you get shouted at. ;)

There is a guy on Strava called "Mr. B" in Berlin, check out his profile for some really nice routes. Enjoy it and make sure to stop for Apfelkuchen & Coffee.

Make sure to do the Sandemans free tour starting at the Brandenburger Tor it's 3 hours and gives a good intro in the history of Berlin.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Berlin, Germany [mikebo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikebo wrote:
I've been to Berlin but I haven't ridden a bike there. But looking at the map you should definitely check out the "Tempelhofer Feld" which is the old airlift airport that's open to the public nowadays. You can ride a circular route or do sprints along the runway. good fun.

Apart from that I think if you head out of Köpenick to the southeast that there should be some good riding - it's not called "Müggelspree-Löcknitzer Wald- und Seengebiet" (Forest and Lake District) for no reason :)

Cheers and enjoy your time. And don't forget to explore Berlin, there is a ton to see and 10 days of after-work free time won't nearly be enough!

I would avoid the "Tempelhofer Feld" especially in the summer. It's massivly crowded so riding there is no fun at all and since this year there are some speed bumbs.
And yes, the "Müggelspree-Löcknitzer Wald- und Seengebiet" would be the best choice, even better if you bring a cross bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late, but a great area is around the Grunewald forest where there is a stretch closed for traffic which runs next to the city autobahn, the avus, road is called kronprinzessinnenweg and from there you can start a tour with light traffic and the only real hill in Berlin on the Havelchaussee. Hope that helps, have fun!
Quote Reply