Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Usb c car chargers
Quote | Reply
I bought a galaxy s8 this weekend and now I need a new car charger. I prefer a rapid charger. Anyone have one they recommend?

My previous micro usb charger had an led flashlight on the end that was really nice, I bought it from Verizon. I wouldn't mind the same type.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Usb c car chargers [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wont that one work for the S8 if you like it so much?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one off Amazon made by choetech I think. Works great, fairly inexpensive.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Usb c car chargers [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Why wont that one work for the S8 if you like it so much?

It's. Micro usb. The s8 is usb c. Different plug

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhhh I see!! shit I have to look into this.. I am about due a new phone and am considering the s8.. I dont want to have to buy new chargers etc... I hate it when they do that.Just keep everything micro usb.. thats what most things are anyway. Thats why I shy away from iphone..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
ahhhh I see!! shit I have to look into this.. I am about due a new phone and am considering the s8.. I dont want to have to buy new chargers etc... I hate it when they do that.Just keep everything micro usb.. thats what most things are anyway. Thats why I shy away from iphone..

I think usb c is going to be the new standard. It is better. It does come with a small adapter that you can use with your old chargers. I gave away my micro usb charger already.

I highly recommend the s8.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the s6 awhile ago.. the verizon guy talked my into droid turbo2.. POS... never again. Ill go with my gut. The battery on this POS heats up really fast.. play a couple of games and send a few txtx and it drains 1/2 the battery in less than 15 mins of use. Anyway... it will probably be iPhone 8 when its released or the s8. More than like s8.

Good luck on the search for your charger. At least its USB so you shouldnt have any trouble finding one. I really dont like how proprietary the Apple cord is...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 5-pack of PowerLine Micro USB cords, varying lengths, on Amazon a few months back, for something in the neighborhood of $15. I was looking for the highest rated rapid power transfer cables, and I haven't been disappointed. Plugging the shortest cable (6" IIRC) into the power port in my car, I can charge at a ballpark rate of 1% per minute, while in use (playing podcasts, google maps, etc.), which is far better than any configuration I'd used previously. Using a high-speed charger wall adapter, it charges from dead in maybe 30-45 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/...=powerline+micro+usb

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: May 8, 17 11:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if the issues with faulty USB C cables has been fixed, but a google engineer was publicly shaming bad cables - more info here. If on Amazon, might look for reviews by Benson Leung to make sure everything is ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple has actually moved to USB-C for charging in the latest version of Macbooks. Their proprietary cables on the iPhone and Macbook has been annoying and expensive, but I like their platform enough to have stuck with them despite it...although it's been an annoying enough issue at times to make me consider the hassle of switching. I'm hoping that they'll go USB-C on the iPhone and make it consistent and non-proprietary going forward. I'd rather that than wireless charging at this point.

orphious wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked for a USB C car charger when I got my Pixel XL, and decided I didnt absolutely need it. Check how many amps your current charger is rated for. It may be good enough.

I got a USB to USB C cable and just use my existing car charger. It only charges at 2 amps instead of the 3 amps the USB C charger would which is good enough for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a choetech cable with an older anker quick car charger. I don't think my model anker quick charger is technically a "fast" charger for the S8, but it is fast enough for my purposes. About 1:40 to fully charge the device compared to "fast charging" in 1:20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The state of USB-C PD charging is a mess. I'm currently using a couple of Aukey USB-C, USB-A dual chargers in the car and I'm still sing my old QC 2.0 chargers for wall charging. I've also bought several different cables. I always preferred the Anker powerline cables. The did really well with micro-USB and QC2.0. However the Anker USB-C powerline cables do not perform nearly as well as the stock cable that came with my Pixel. Also, reading through the reviews of various chargers, nothing seems to work at the full PD spec. Hopefully with the release of S8 we'll start seeing some good inexpensive options. Current state of affairs: I haven't found anything that works as well as the stock charger and USB-C cables that came with my phone. Kudos to Google I guess, cause normally those things are pretty crappy yet expensive for the OEM replacements.

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
orphious wrote:

I think usb c is going to be the new standard. It is better. It does come with a small adapter that you can use with your old chargers. I gave away my micro usb charger already.

I highly recommend the s8.

You mean like the 5-bolt crank/chainring standard... up until Shimano decided to unilaterally fuck everyone else with their own new 'standard'?

This is exhibit # 487,293 why we Leftists have such a jaundiced view of Capitalism ~ of course they can, but it sure as shit ain't for the consumers' benefit no matter how much they try to spin it that way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for you nice sharing, guys. Car charger of mine is from Bestek. Before buying this tool, I have learned how to use a bestek 400w power inverter. There is a detail guide on its product description. The most attractive thing for me is that tool is convenient to take away. Then I can charge camera, laptop and phone easily and safely when camping or travelling outside. Maybe you are glad to catch more information about this tool on Bestekmall. Wish this point is helpful to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Usb c car chargers [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok.

politics aside, as a consumer I like the usb-c. no more trying to figure out which way is the "right way" to put the micro-usb in. And charging a 3000 mah battery in just over an hour via usb-c is great when that battery then lasts me all day with 3-5+ hours screen on time.
Quote Reply