Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

People laughing (or not) at the movies
Quote | Reply
I don't go the movies very often. Like barely once a year on average. However, I've been twice (with my wife and kids) in the last few months - once to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

After both movies we commented that it seems that others in the theaters didn't find stuff as funny as we do. Today we watched Guardians which was awesome and there were times that we were busting up laughing while others were a bit more quiet.

There was even one guy in the row in front of us who turned around to look at us after one really funny scene. I guess he was wondering who the easily amused idiots were. Now, based on how he and the woman sitting next to him stood up and walked out of opposite sides of the theater - I think he was there for a secret rendezvous versus watching the movie. So we may have had other things on his mind, or other body parts.

On the way home we were wondering if it was us that is abnormal or the people who don't laugh. What do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How dare you enjoy yourselves at a movie? Philistines.

If you're watching Schindler's List - yah, probably shouldn't be quaking with laughter. Something like Fantastic Beasts, that's got funny scenes and is expressly targeted at a children's demographic, I think it would be a little weird if there weren't some people laughing from time to time. It's possible to overdo it, but I think you'd have to work at it.
Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schindler's List wasn't a good movie for laughs, but it was a fantastic movie to take a date & make out.

wimsey wrote:
How dare you enjoy yourselves at a movie? Philistines.

If you're watching Schindler's List - yah, probably shouldn't be quaking with laughter. Something like Fantastic Beasts, that's got funny scenes and is expressly targeted at a children's demographic, I think it would be a little weird if there weren't some people laughing from time to time. It's possible to overdo it, but I think you'd have to work at it.
Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody told me to take tissues to Schindler's list but when I got there it was impossible to rub one out to it.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lazy Ben wrote:
Somebody told me to take tissues to Schindler's list but when I got there it was impossible to rub one out to it.

That was all kinds of wrong. I shall join you in hell for laughing hard at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as long as you don't yell at the characters on the screen, you're ok.

Unless you clap when it's over. THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU! They aren't real!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I subtly referenced Seinfeld and you went next level. Well played! I had no idea how to react to this. My instinctual laugh felt wrong, but strangely appropriate. And yet I keep waiting for lightening to strike me dead for finding it humorous.

Lazy Ben wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lazy Ben wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j8_MTun7Wbs

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still no wood. But amazed that someone came up with that even if it is a bit crap.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed the same thing when my family and I saw Guardians on Friday. Packed theater, but we seemed to be the only ones laughing at, what in my opinion, were Deadpool level funny scenes.

It seemed most of the theater was too busy on their phones to watch the movie. I do not get that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about singing? A few years ago when the animated version of Beauty and the Beast was re-released on the big screen we took our daughter to see it (she was like 5 at the time) - woman sitting behind us decided to sing along out loud with "Be Our Guest", pretty effen annoying.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Lazy Ben wrote:

It would be even wronger if he was able to rub one out.
Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
How about singing? A few years ago when the animated version of Beauty and the Beast was re-released on the big screen we took our daughter to see it (she was like 5 at the time) - woman sitting behind us decided to sing along out loud with "Be Our Guest", pretty effen annoying.

Not sure if this is a thread hijack, but when my wife and I saw "Wicked" many years ago, the woman sitting directly behind us sang every single word of every single song out loud. She didn't belt them out, but it was annoying as hell.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That would really bug me. I can't stand at concerts when the singer holds out his microphone so the audience can join in and sign. I don't pay to listen to 15,000 bad singers who think they can sing, and I don't watch movies to hear someone in the audience sing...arghh

Quote Reply
Re: People laughing (or not) at the movies [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
Lazy Ben wrote:

It would be even wronger if he was able to rub one out.

Whilst laughing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it wasn't when you were laughing, but how. There are some people and families that are just overly loud.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I don't go the movies very often. Like barely once a year on average. However, I've been twice (with my wife and kids) in the last few months - once to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

After both movies we commented that it seems that others in the theaters didn't find stuff as funny as we do. Today we watched Guardians which was awesome and there were times that we were busting up laughing while others were a bit more quiet.

There was even one guy in the row in front of us who turned around to look at us after one really funny scene. I guess he was wondering who the easily amused idiots were. Now, based on how he and the woman sitting next to him stood up and walked out of opposite sides of the theater - I think he was there for a secret rendezvous versus watching the movie. So we may have had other things on his mind, or other body parts.

On the way home we were wondering if it was us that is abnormal or the people who don't laugh. What do you think?
I am cracking up about you.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:

Just don't laugh too loud, people will look at you funny. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
travelmama wrote:

Just don't laugh too loud, people will look at you funny. :)
I was alone at home when I laughed but would not care if anyone heard me.