Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spoiler: Giro Mount Etna Stage
Quote | Reply
Here is a good velonews article covering the Mt. Etna Stage:

http://www.velonews.com/...fects-gc-race_437366

Consensus seems to be you can't lose more than a minute on this early climbing stage and take the Maglia Rosa on the final Monza - Milano ITT (yeah the same Monza race track from the Nike 2 hour 26.2 mile run).

Here is the stage profile and stats:

17.45km, average gradient of 7 percent, with a max of 14 percent, which riders reach after 8.69km of climbing.

This looks like it is tailor built for Quintana

Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 9, 17 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mt. Etna on deck tomorrow. We could end up with the Giro Champion sorted out on day 4 of this Grand Tour (or not)! What do you guys think Nibali can do on this stage? It's apparently literally his neighbourhood climb in Sicily

El Pistolero on the 2011 stage (stage win and Giro win revoked due to tainted beef):

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quintana... isn't he the best pure climber out of the GCs? I'm not following the Giro closely, but I did see the video of NQ flying off Tirreno Adriatico leaving everyone behind and I think he will want to have a lot of buffer before the TTs come. So maybe 5K or 3K before the finish he'll launch his usual attack and get some time???
Last edited by: flyrunride: May 8, 17 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's certainly going to be interesting having a proper mountain stage this early, that's for sure.

The early climb is no sleepwalk either, ~33(!) km @ 4.5% average; I doubt anyone will try to force anything that early on given what's to come, but it'll certainly wake everyone up after the rest day.

I don't think I've even seen Quintana yet this Giro, but it's hard to look past him for the stage. I'd love to see Geraint Thomas up there with him. Can't stand Nibali, so I hope he loses a bunch of time and everyone can stop talking about him as though he's a genuine GC contender...
Last edited by: awenborn: May 8, 17 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyrunride wrote:
Quintana... isn't he the best pure climber out of the GCs? I'm not following the Giro closely, but I did see the video of NQ flying off Tirreno Adriatico leaving everyone behind and I think he will want to have a lot of buffer before the TTs come. So maybe 5K or 3K before the finish he'll launch his usual attack and get some time???

For sure he is the best climber and he has been on mega form and his team almost never gets 'ambushed'. So really to me, this stage is about how much of a gap he can build. There is no way Movistar is going to let any attacks with any GC hopefuls get away.

What about that skinny dude Zakarin from Katsusha?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or it could be all neutral at this point in the race and a ProTour team secondary climber or a Pro Conti climber gets a crack at it. ...someone random, but with chops like Sivtsov, Woods, or Kiserlovski.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koz wrote:
Or it could be all neutral at this point in the race and a ProTour team secondary climber or a Pro Conti climber gets a crack at it. ...someone random, but with chops like Sivtsov, Woods, or Kiserlovski.

Well, we sure would be happy if Woods did something around here, since he is from our town and he "backed" into cycling when his running career came to a momentary halt as a result of injuries and he hit the bike for rehab and realized he could ride the pants off of pretty well all the local roadie studs with running shoes on and rat traps and baggy runner shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty exposed. If there is a headwind, nobody may want to go off alone.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since everyone wants to put time on their rivals, but no one wants the jersey so soon my bet is that they let the breakaway take this one and fight this one out 3 minutes down the mountain.

Quintana's really the only one who'd want to put the hammer down so soon given the TT's coming up. But given his Giro/Tour double ambitions, he's likely peaking for the 3rd week. Nibali might want to parade the jersey in his hometown the next day, but I can't see him beating Quintana uphill unless he's peaking early and hoping to hold on.
Last edited by: timbasile: May 8, 17 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giro is by far more entertaining than the Tour...but I like hills so I guess that helps. I'll play it safe and pick the home field advantage held by Nibali. I think Nibali, Quintana, Thomas and a few others will be there at the end. Hope Tejay has a good first day in the mountains so he can keep his confidence up. Although his history after rest days ain't very good (although those rest days have usually come later in the race). I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [Tri74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri74 wrote:
Giro is by far more entertaining than the Tour...but I like hills so I guess that helps. I'll play it safe and pick the home field advantage held by Nibali. I think Nibali, Quintana, Thomas and a few others will be there at the end. Hope Tejay has a good first day in the mountains so he can keep his confidence up. Although his history after rest days ain't very good (although those rest days have usually come later in the race). I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work tomorrow.

I would like to see Nibali put up a solid fight and take Etna and the Maglia Rosa while the Giro is on his "home island" of Sicily. That mental carrot alone has got to be worth losing 5 kilos of mass on the climb to Etna (I suppose that would equate to around a 30W boost, so maybe not....but it has to be worth something)!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Since everyone wants to put time on their rivals, but no one wants the jersey so soon my bet is that they let the breakaway take this one and fight this one out 3 minutes down the mountain.
Someone with GC hopes will lose a bunch of time, but most of the GC contenders will finish more or less together. A breakaway rider will win the stage. Could be one of a dozen riders, but I'll go with Formolo. J

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sucks that I no longer have a US TV channel with Giro coverage (though my wife is happier with the DVD less full)
Isn't there like 70k of TT coming up?
I would think that would be pretty selective.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Sucks that I no longer have a US TV channel with Giro coverage (though my wife is happier with the DVD less full)
Isn't there like 70k of TT coming up?
I would think that would be pretty selective.

yes, there is a ton of TTing coming up. This is favourable for a guy like Dumoulin. I hope he can stay close today. But keep in mind on May 23rd, we have the stage with the double climb of Stelvio but with a downhill finish into Bormio. Let's see what shakes out.

With 7.5K to go Rolland attacked and is 30 second up on the Peloton. The breakaway (Polanc) looks doomed. Sounds like Nibali and Quintana are just twiddling their thumbs in the Peloton. Aparently Zakarin crashed today and Roland Denis crashed out
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 9, 17 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch, the graphic for the L'Equipe stream just identified Cannondale as a Pro Continental team.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Ouch, the graphic for the L'Equipe stream just identified Cannondale as a Pro Continental team.

How did that happen. Can you send the link to the L'Equipe stream. I am on the text updates from cyclingnews.com....3.1K to go, all the favourites together. That seems like a bit of a snoozer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
flyrunride wrote:

For sure he is the best climber and he has been on mega form and his team almost never gets 'ambushed'. So really to me, this stage is about how much of a gap he can build. There is no way Movistar is going to let any attacks with any GC hopefuls get away.

What about that skinny dude Zakarin from Katsusha?

The skinny dude crashed earlier today and "almost" got it done....but no cigar!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta love this mountain...slowman, when is the ST Sicily training camp?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, funny. i'm going to put up a thread about this, or something related to it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
well, funny. i'm going to put up a thread about this, or something related to it.

Jimmy Riccitello puts on his Alpe d'Huez based camp every year during the 3rd week of the Tour....but I think we need a Sicily camp! Or are you having a slowman ranch camp?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Mount Etna Stage on Deck (Tuesday) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Trail, thanks for the link:

http://www.streaming-hub.com/lequipe-21-live/

For us French speakers, this is great coverage and I can get it in Canada! Does this link stay the same for every stage?
Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Giro Mount Etna Stage [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rohan Dennis is out, mid stage. Damn.
Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Giro Mount Etna Stage [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he will do the ToC now
Quote Reply