Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to Carmelize FN Onions...
Quote | Reply
I've never actually tried before, outside of onions in a pot roast. I happen to like baked French onion soup but in this centre of gastronomic delights where westernized Chinese, grease pizza & chicken wings are considered haute cuisine it's next to impossible to get decent soup at a cooking establishment (I'm not going to call any of the restaurants!). Now I'm all about the work minimalization, so first I considered this recipe, after reading the comments. No, just no. It may make a great spread once mixed with cream cheese though. One of the comments lead me to do a search for this technique instead. Intriguing enough that now my eyes are burning and the slow cooker is working the night shift.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Carmelize FN Onions... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The slow cooker method sounds intriguing, but I am a fan of cast iron, low and slow. Also seasons the pan nicely for cooking steak or burgers.

When I owned my last restaurant I would Carmelize 25 lbs of onions at once every couple of days in a giant electric skillet pot. The smell was amazing.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Last edited by: CaptainCanada: May 6, 17 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: How to Carmelize FN Onions... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
The slow cooker method sounds intriguing, but I am a fan of cast iron, low and slow. Also seasons the pan nicely for cooking steak or burgers.

When I owned my last restaurant I would Carmelize 25 lbs of onions at once every couple of days in a giant electric skillet pot. The smell was amazing.

+1. I am sure the slowcooker process works but as the good Captain said give me the cast iron anyday.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 hours of cooking and the onions are just starting to change colour. I "may" have put in too much butter (slightly on purpose), there's quite a bit of liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Butter in a pan, medium low, sprinkle some sugar on top (cheating I know) 30 minutes or so and it's done
Quote Reply
Re: How to Carmelize FN Onions... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's just me, but I think they're sweet enough on their own. The slow cooker version is seriously low maintenance, slice enough onions to fill the cooker to the brim, add melted butter, hand mix, put lid on, turn on to low, after 10 or so hours skew lid for 2-3 hours. Uhm, not that hard, virtually no baby sitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I think they're sweet enough on their own. The slow cooker version is seriously low maintenance, slice enough onions to fill the cooker to the brim, add melted butter, hand mix, put lid on, turn on to low, after 10 or so hours skew lid for 2-3 hours. Uhm, not that hard, virtually no baby sitting.

The sugar is to speed the caramelization
Quote Reply
Re: How to Carmelize FN Onions... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Butter in a pan, medium low, sprinkle some sugar on top (cheating I know) 30 minutes or so and it's done

Sugar? You are worse than hitler.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to change the subject, but how is the guanciale coming?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
windywave wrote:

Sugar? You are worse than hitler.

Well that escalated quickly.

I admitted it was cheating but sometimes I don't have 1-3 hours to properly caramelize them.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Carmelize FN Onions... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Pretty good I think. Coming up on 8 weeks of hanging. They have shrunk by 23-25%. I am looking for around 30 I think. I think I won't cut into either one until the 12-16 week mark. When you get up close and smell them they have a little funk, but not in a rotting way. The whole basement smells like pork though. The dogs like it.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Pretty good I think. Coming up on 8 weeks of hanging. They have shrunk by 23-25%. I am looking for around 30 I think. I think I won't cut into either one until the 12-16 week mark. When you get up close and smell them they have a little funk, but not in a rotting way. The whole basement smells like pork though. The dogs like it.

Interesting. I was talking with my dad (old school italian godfather type) yesterday about that. He was saying the air is too damp here and that mold could be an issue. I think he was talking more about hang drying in a shed though, not a basement where you have more control of humidity. Keep me posted! I'm really keen to hear how it turns out.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Carmelize FN Onions... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Interesting. I was talking with my dad (old school italian godfather type) yesterday about that. He was saying the air is too damp here and that mold could be an issue. I think he was talking more about hang drying in a shed though, not a basement where you have more control of humidity. Keep me posted! I'm really keen to hear how it turns out.

I have them hanging in my wine cellar. I haven't measured but it's pretty dry. Supposed to hang around 60% humidity so it doesn't dry too fast. No visible mold yet either.

===============
Quote Reply