Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Delta Airlines Has Entered the Game [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
It is/was illegal for the child to fly on the other child's ticket. The family needs to prove that the airline agreed to change the ticket.

If you shoplift something, you don't get to keep it if you make it out of the door without the store noticing. Just because the agents let them on the plane and said they could sit together, doesn't negate the fact that the ticket wasn't valid for the child to travel on. The airline should have caught it earlier, but somehow I doubt the family made sure to let them know the whole situation.

Family was totally in the wrong (and I thought United was totally in the wrong in the Dr. Dao matter).

However, I could practically hear the wife, muttering under her breath, "come on, drag him off, drag him off already! we could use a couple million, so knock out a few teeth too....."
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines Has Entered the Game [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
What did Delta do wrong? The family purchased 3 tickets for 5 passengers. Two of the passengers were toddlers so are supposed to be on the parent's lap. When the third ticket did not show up for boarding, the ticket was forfeited. If they wanted the seat, they could have paid to have the ticket switched but didn't. Although, since the child was 2 years old, I don't believe they are allowed a seat, but I could be wrong.

So, what change do you want to see? Should a ticket buyer be able to buy a seat and if they choose not to fly the seat stays empty? Do you want to eliminate overbooking? (This was not the case here)

According to the link......

"Brian Schear said the family had initially purchased a ticket for their teenage son on the red-eye flight, but decided to send him home early so that their 2-year-old could have a seat on the plane. The couple was also traveling with a 1-year-old. He said they let the ticket agent know about their situation at the gate, and that the agent accommodated the family to sit together. Brian Schear said they boarded the plane without issue."

The ticket agent should have told them, "Hah, you're screwed unless you want to pay the fee to change this ticket!"

When I pay for a seat and the airline takes my money, I'd like to have that seat for my use. If I'm traveling by myself, I could still pay for two seats in order to avoid having the 300-pound guy in a tank top and sweat pants with a runny nose and a hacker's cough sit next to me on a 5-hour flight.

Airline travel's not what it used to be (sigh).

(BTW, it would have to be a pretty unusual situation for me to travel to Maui with a teenager and two infants.)

That's what I was thinking. Are you not able to buy extra seats for yourself to give yourself more room? I thought Airlines were in the business of selling seats. It seems like mission accomplished on that one. I didn't read it as a cancellation where the family got reimbursed.

Regarding the child being in a lap or car seat. Doesn't that only apply for takeoff and landing? Once that fasten seat belt sign goes off that child is entitled to be walking around the aisle etc (with parent I would hope). The announcement usually says something like 'we recommend when seated you keep your seat belt on and securely fastened'. It's not compulsory. So if that's the case why can't they keep the child on their lap when required then let them spread out onto the seat they paid for at other times?
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines Has Entered the Game [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

So now the seat is empty but still paid for. If Delta wanted to reassign the seat to someone else because of overbooking, then they should first have to refund the guy the full price of the ticket. I saw nothing that mentioned any attempt on their part to do that.

It can't be a full refund, because it's a late cancellation; that always incurs a fee, but I agree that it seems wrong they can charge full price twice
Quote Reply

Prev Next